300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLETC Questions

I leave for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in two weeks. Lots of stuff on this site about non-federal positions, was wondering if anybody had any info on FLETC. What's the training like compared to local/state academies? What should I bring down to Glynco with me and anything that might better prepare me????

Either way - I'll be sure to keep posting as the academy progresses for anybody else who might be crazy enough to want to run to cadence in Georgia during the summer months!!!!!

Thanks!
    "Pain is good, Extreme pain is Extremely Good!"

F.l.e.t.c.

I attended F.L.E.T.C. in 1988 for 12 weeks. Needless to say it was a long time, however I thought the training and instructors were great.......Good Luck
    Zuko PlumItalic

Comment

deleted thanks
      Last edited by coyote135; 09-28-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I was there in the early/mid 90's for an advanced Photography School. A 2 week course in which there were 18 Feds and 2 of us from the state & locals. From the BS I heard the AT&F guys going on about, I knew the Fed Life was not for me. They also gave some dirt on one of my Chief Deputies at the time, since he was former "spit & polish" AT&F.

I was also in the Company of the SAC from the San Francisco branch if the INS. By the time the class was over, he had ruined 3 $2500 camera bodies and it was obvious that his Office sent him to every school they could just to keep him out of the office.

My roommate was some type of IA for the Border Patrol. He was a cool guy. He did get a little uptight when another student traded me a Border Patrol door badge for a patch, though. He told me that the badge I got was obsolete.

The only other local guy in my class was a Crime Scene guy for the NY Housing Authority.

It was a great eye opening school, full of practical stuff, despite being held back by the INS idiot when he broke the last spare camera.

I'd bet they have metal detectors and gun sniffing k-9's at the gate, now, though.

Bring lots of SPF 45 if your classes are outside, and Bug Spray. FLETC is on the banks of a River and not far from the ocean, so look for those marsh mosquitoes to be a pretty good size. Bring a departmental souvenire to leave on the wall of the FLETC Bar, too. (I can't think of the name...Rosie's?) When I was there, someone had wrecked a Cruiser and the bent up door with the door badge was hanging on the wall.

Also, the local SO had a reputation for having a short fuse with Feds. The town FLETC is just outside of is Brunswick, Ga. If you are a patch collector, there is a Uniform shop in town that used to allow you to purchase any patch they sold as long as you had ID, which was various Fed Agencies along with the locals.
        Last edited by Creeker; 07-22-2005, 04:39 AM.
        Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
        --------------------------------------------------
        Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
        Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Ditto on what Creeker said about the bug spray. The mosquitos are huge and the sand fleas will eat you alive. This is a miserable time of year to be in Glynn County, Georgia. It'll be hotter than Ethiopia.

Comment

Hotter than Ethiopia??? HAHA - grreeeatttt.

I'm going down for the U.S. Park Police. I hear it's about 20 weeks long and then I'll be working in D.C. - apparently with a nice African tan and a few hundred bug bites!

Thanks for the posts, can't wait to get down there.

Comment

deleted thanks
              Last edited by coyote135; 09-28-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coyote135
                2) Fitted sheets - You can get those at Wal-Mart when you get down there. The sheets supplid by FLETC suck.
                Just a note on that.

I always carried a sleeping bag and my own pillow to any dorm setting that I was required to stay at. It is much easier and quicker to make and during cold months much warmer. In the summer you just lie on top of it if the AC breaks, but I never had that problem.

I don't know if the USPP will have quarter bouncing inspections with your sheets, so take that as a Caviat. I never heard any complaints about my sleeping bag, even during my Basic Police Academy Room Inspections, which admittedly weren't very stringent.

I would bet that a basic no-frills sleeping bag may cost about as much as sheets do.
                Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by coyote135
                  USPP is now part of an integrated training program from my understanding.
                  I actually heard one of the guys mention that. Any idea what that means??

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4525 users online. 278 members and 4247 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X