300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC apartment sharing for nypd recruits

I am going through the nypd recruitment process. I am living at home currently, finishing up school. I am aiming for July 06 academy. I was wondering if anyone is in my shoes and want to get in touch with people in the same boat so when the July or Jan 06 class is ready to start it will be the least of everys worries. Beleive me I am in a nypd recruitment message board and people from out of state that wasen't sure if they were in this July class were screwed becasue they found out they were in the night academy started. I'm aiming to avoid that and help Jan class and July class out. Post away!!!!

yo

i'm in the quest program for the JAN 06 class. I scored high on the written and the physical is no problem. I'll definatly be looking for a place to stay cuz I'm from out of town.
    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

I have been looking into joining the nypd, anyway, here is a link...

http://www.nypdtrainees.com/introbboard.asp

Comment

Nypd

I tell everyone not to take the NYPD job, especially since they lowered the starting pay from peanuts to just shells. I worked for them for 8 years before I quit. I couldn't afford to work there any longer after getting 4 years of zeros out of 8 years worth of contracts.

I had the chance to switch departments and I jumped at it. My starting salary at my new job was basically the top pay for the NYPD. In my first year I made 3k more than I did in the NYPD after 8 years. It just isn't right that the City refuses to pay their police officers a just salary.

I feel bad for the guys down there who have no way out.

Comment

I certainly agree, but as long as they have gung ho 21 yr olds,
          who are gullible and lower the standards yr gonna get what ya pay for.

www.schackdaddy.com
          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by DH21187
            I tell everyone not to take the NYPD job, especially since they lowered the starting pay from peanuts to just shells. I worked for them for 8 years before I quit. I couldn't afford to work there any longer after getting 4 years of zeros out of 8 years worth of contracts.

I had the chance to switch departments and I jumped at it. My starting salary at my new job was basically the top pay for the NYPD. In my first year I made 3k more than I did in the NYPD after 8 years. It just isn't right that the City refuses to pay their police officers a just salary.

I feel bad for the guys down there who have no way out.
            Really??

The pay doesn't seem THAT bad according to their website

[QUOTE]
            January 2006 or after:

Police Academy (first six months): $25,100 (Annualized)
            Upon completion of six months: $32,700
            Upon completion of 1

Comment

I had planned to go back to NY and I am scheduled for the Quest program Oct 17, 18, and 19 but I've accepted a position with another PD here in VA and I start on the 17th. I guess im probably gonna have to contact NYPD and cancel the October quest I miss NY and it'll hurt to have to do this. I was born and raised in the Bronx and had always hoped to get back but I got stuck in VA after I ETS'd out of the Army. My wife and I really liked it here when I left the Army 6 years ago so we decided to stay. Since then I visit two or three times a year since most of family are in NY. Then when it's time go back to VA I get homesick! NYPD was my chance to get back before they decided to change the pay scale but now I can't afford to survive there with petty change. Especially for the first two years! Either way I guess it's better for the kids here rather than NY. Good luck in making it out there and have fun!!!
              Blame it on the Trunk Monkey!!!

Comment

January 2006 Class

I'm looking at the January 2006 class, assuming all goes well. I've passed all the tests but the Mini-Med (the small medical just before the start of the Academy). I live alone in Brooklyn (Bensonhurst - a nice middle class neighborhood, low crime, clean, reasonable about 45 minutes by train to the Academy (the subway stop is about 1 block away - D/M subway line) w/ plenty of on street parking available). I have a 1BR w/ an opportunity for a 2BR coming up soon. I have lived alone for about 10 years in my 1BR.

With the reduction in pay ($25,100 / $32,700 after the Academy), I'm thinking of getting a roommate. I have first refusal on the 2BR that is vacant right now and can negotiate a good deal for the apartment and it is large enough for three people short term and two people long term. It is a fairly large apartment and will probably be available in January. Right now, it is being gutted and renovated. The apartment is on the first floor and probably go for about $900 a month. Utilities (telephone, gas, electric, cable) generally run about $200 a month w/ heat and hot water included with the rent.

The building is nice, 22 units, 4 floor walk-up typical NYC apartment building. It is friendly in that everybody knows everybody in the building and we all get along. I usually don't lock my door, that is how safe it is there. The building has 9-10 foot ceilings and pre-war moldings and hard wood floors. The apartment sits in the back, so the view is nothing but the courtyard, but the rent is reasonable.

If I can find someone responsible and looking to a two-three year lease to stick it out until we start making real money, I'd like to seek a roommate or two to share the larger apartment.

A bit about me: 33 years old male. I'm raised in Richmond, VA and moved to NYC 15 years ago. Currently, I work in book publishing and part-time for the Police Department as an Auxiliary with two+ years on the job. Let me know if you are interested either here or [email protected] and put Roommate in the subject line.
                Last edited by Brooklyn10-63; 10-12-2005, 08:59 AM.
                I didn't do nufin' osifer.
                Das mu gumment name.
                Das my baby daddy.

Comment

NYPD is a good job..it's fun and the people are cool...I'm still friends with people from my academy class and my unit.....but...I left because the money was terrible and so was the training. I only knew better because I traveled around the states when I was in the service and was able to go through some training by an agency in Ca. When I got out of the service..I joined NYPD a year and a half later....and I was dissapointed...training, facilities, polices...12-15lb DAO Trigger pull and PAY. Then about 2 years later I went to LA and was happy as hell....outstanding training and Pay is good, better tactics...I feel like I'm getting more out of being a cop....they even reimbursed my moving expenses If you really want to get on...do it..see for your self....if you don't like it you can always take your experience and leave. Me and alot of my old co-workers did!! There are plenty of good departments out there..it just depends on how far you are willing to travel.
                  One more thing..I was born and raised in NYC myself and being a cop in NYC was the thing I am most proud of...very honorable. NYPD has a long proud history. The only reason it sucks is because the city doesn't to pay the officers what they deserve and put money in to better training and equipment. Trust me...plenty of NYPD cops and instructors wish they could change the training, polices and pay but they can't. Good luck!
                  Last edited by Hydroshok; 10-15-2005, 04:05 AM.
                  And yes thats the way I wanted to spell it!lol

Comment

Originally posted by Crazed
                    Really??

The pay doesn't seem THAT bad according to their website
                    Those numbers posted on their website usually include:
                    Holiday pay, Uniform Pay, 10% Midnight Shift Pay, and anything else they can throw in. If you don't do midnights subtract about 4k-5k or more from the pay.

Below is roughly what our current contract is and you are at top pay upon completion of your 4th year. NYPD is after 5 1/2 years. We also get 4% longevities every 5 years. These numbers are your base pay with nothing added. Night diff, holiday pay, and uniform allowence are on top of it.

In Academy-$46,261
                    After Academy-$55,513- Top Pay of NYPD
                    4th Step-$64,764
                    3rd Step-$74,016
                    2nd Step-$83,269
                    1st Step-$92,521

1st-Longevity-$96,221
                    2nd-Longevity-$99,922
                    3rd-Longevity-$103,623
                    4th-Longevity-$107,324

Comment

I am currently doing work in Louisiana and I am astonished as to what they pay is for most agencies. Now I don't know if any other agencies around the country pay this horrible, but let me lay down some figures.

Starting salary, no overtime pay, no night diff, you must buy your own service weapon and vest if you want to wear one: $1400 monthly. Now this agency in particular works 12 hr shifts, which equals about 184 hrs a month...for $1400 a month. $16, 800 annualy.

Other agencies I have dealt with, pay is even below that, starting at around $1200 a month.

Cost of living in some area, yes it is cheap. But average rent is $500 month. I do feel sorry for the guys starting off at NYPD. It's like you must be single and willing to bunk with 3 or 4 other recruits. Or be married to wonderful person being the breakmaker.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

the norm for city or parish law enforcement in LA is 25-30K... state troopers start at 32 I believe. its sad

Comment

Originally posted by bullitt48
                          the norm for city or parish law enforcement in LA is 25-30K... state troopers start at 32 I believe. its sad
                          You are wrong. Maybe EBRSO yes, however most other parish and small town depts start off at $14,000 a year. The State Police only start off at $30,000!
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I am assuming that the cost of living down there allows you to live on such a small salary. The average home price where I live for a high ranch is about 600k. I'm in a 1200 sq. ft. condo that goes for about 400k. Luckily, I bought it for much, much less when the market was low. Once my wife and I sell both of our houses we will be looking to get a new one in the price range of about 900k.

I can retire in 2010 and I will be looking to get out of NY. I figure with my pension, profits from house sale, we should do rather well out west some where. Hopefully, we will have about 1 million in savings and with the pension we should do just fine. We'll both be about 43 at this point and we have to decide if we want to keep working or not afterwards.

Comment

My parents live on Long Island. A great school district and everything. BUT if you were to take the train into the city it would take about 55 minutes. Their house is a 40+ yr old split, original steel windows,3 bd. 1 1/2 bath, needs a kitchen reno. etc. IF they were to sell they would get at least 450,000. NO Central air. The col on L.I. is nauseating. I had a 2 bd. apartment in Happaugue about 12 yrs ago and paid $840.00 month.
                              My department tops out in 5 yrs at 65,000 and my 12 y.o. townhouse jsut cost me 134,000. Top schools in the area. I wish NYPD paid more OR suffolk woulda called me
                              I got nothing for now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4401 users online. 271 members and 4130 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X