300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Sworn In

Today, I was sworn in as a Montgomery County (MD) Police Officer. Tomorrow is the graduation, and I was one of the lucky few who start work the following day (working the midnight shift). I can't wait! I fell like a kid waiting for Christmas to come, even though I know I will screw up in FTO (especially in the beginning). Keep in touch, and send me PM, especially if you are located in the area.

Congratulations!!! Me too on Tuesday I started at a local Sheriffs Dept....one question tho being a Montgomery "county" police officer? wouldn't that make you a Deputy? just curious

Comment

Originally posted by BS_CJ
      Congratulations!!! Me too on Tuesday I started at a local Sheriffs Dept....one question tho being a Montgomery "county" police officer? wouldn't that make you a Deputy? just curious

No, the County has a Sheriffs Dept., as well as a Police dept. The Sheriffs Dept. handles the courts, evictions, stuff like that. The police are the main L.E. Department in the county (over 1100 sworn officer).

Comment

Originally posted by mdgodfather
        No, the County has a Sheriffs Dept., as well as a Police dept. The Sheriffs Dept. handles the courts, evictions, stuff like that. The police are the main L.E. Department in the county (over 1100 sworn officer).

Does the Sherrifs dept have regular arrest powers or only on warrants? I'm just trying to understand if it is like the Denver sheriff....they are not a LE acency they only deal with the jail and the courts..."the city and county of Denver" the PD handles all the LE stuff

Comment

Originally posted by BS_CJ
          Does the Sherrifs dept have regular arrest powers or only on warrants? I'm just trying to understand if it is like the Denver sheriff....they are not a LE acency they only deal with the jail and the courts..."the city and county of Denver" the PD handles all the LE stuff
          Former MC Sheriff here. Generally speaking, yes the sheriffs do have regular arrest powers within the county...and statewide. Frown upon though, unless it is related to court duties.....eg fugitive warrant, domestic or petitions. Sheriffs work off the same radio freq. as county police and act as backup when needed.....however have a different mission. Same academy, same training, same inservice, same weapons, etc.

Comment

MDCOP4LIFE is correct. In fact, they can argue that they have more duties, as they can be on regular patrol, as well as the specialized assignments that only the sheriffs dept. tends to handle. There are only about 150 at this time, so they are stretched thin.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4391 users online. 227 members and 4164 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X