300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search of person.

Note to self, always check the LITTLE pocket above the big pocket because there's always an ounce of something in it.

Been using Friskmaster gloves to search people for the past few weeks and today just as I got to the jail the prisoner informed me that he had 'weed' in his little pocket.. I swore I checked that but it actually took me bare handed to get that baggie out.

I mean, I had my gloves completely off and I still was having a VERY hard time getting it out. Gah.

That close to a Record of Counceling had the guys at the jail found it.

Lesson learned, Always assume they have drugs on them.

Never assume anything about a suspect. Weapons & Drugs can be stashed anytplce in clothing or on a persons body. Like 9 MM in crotch of suspect missed by two officers but found by third officer.

Comment

In my state (GA) it's actually a felonly to bring drugs of any amount over a detention facility's guard line. I have never used this statute (I believe it's in the corrections chapter) but it's a great way for me to get weed off kids. "Now, if you got something on you tell me now because when get to the jail if they find it, it's a felony..."

I always search anyway, but sometimes this speeds things up.

I speak from experience, I don't care what the people on this board tell you, from time to time, drugs will get snuck by you. The important thing is to learn from it and hopefully it won't happen again. The important thing to know is that a dime bag can't kill you. NEVER let someone get a weapon into your vehicle. I always think to myself whenever I search someone before putting them in my car "They have a weapon on them that just hasn't been found yet".

Be careful!
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
        NEVER let someone get a weapon into your vehicle. I always think to myself whenever I search someone before putting them in my car "They have a weapon on them that just hasn't been found yet".
        Be careful!
        Repeat this 10 times before each shift and then repeat it again!
        Words to live by!
        Courage is not defined by those who fought and fell...but by those who fought, fell and rose again!

Comment

I usually do a very throrough search on people.

One of the guys from my academy class was a former corrections officer and I learned alot of him, its just the gloves make it harder to feel small objects, but then again, I don't want to be unsafe and accidently get stuck with something.

How do you guys search people with gloves on more effectively?

I tried emptying out the pockets by reaching in and pulling them completely out, but those small inner pockets are impossible to do that with.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
            I usually do a very throrough search on people.
            THERE SHOULD BE NO USUALLY... YOU SHOULD ALWAYS DO A THROROUGH SEARCH. NO EXCEPTIONS. REMEMBER, IT IS YOUR LIFE!
            In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
              THERE SHOULD BE NO USUALLY... YOU SHOULD ALWAYS DO A THROROUGH SEARCH. NO EXCEPTIONS. REMEMBER, IT IS YOUR LIFE!
              Yes yes! I meant that I almost never miss items, but that little dime bag got to me. I realize it will happen sometimes, but it shouldn't happen at all.

I'm working figuring out a way to make my searches with thick these gloves more accurate. I may do the initial search with them and take them off for the small pockets.

Comment

Don't just search your prisoner well, also search the car well both before and after transport; especially if you are forced to 'scoop and go' due to lack of scene security at the time of arrest. Be suspicious of him/her moving around a lot, 'complaining' about how tight the handcuffs are. They very well might be trying to conceal contraband in between the seat cushions, so check for knives, handcuff keys, drugs, etc hidden in the creases of the seat, under the seat, in the door jam.

This is especially important if you are forced to share cruisers on a regular basis. We've found EVERYTHING left behind (whether conciously or not): crack, paraphernalis, folding knives, even an all too realistic BB gun once--all of which were accessible to a prisoner. Just something to think about since no one is perfect.

Be safe.

Comment

My department shares vehicle and I was doing my vehicle inspection once and found a 9mm stuffed under the seat. So remember to ALWAYS check your vehicle I dont care if you have a hot call out of roll call take the extra few seconds to check the back seat area it will save your life.
                  Thats a tip for FTOs out there after that incident At somepoint while I am FTOing someone I stach a Knife or a gun in the vehicle to see if they find it.
                  Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
                  Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

Originally posted by Ballen0351
                    My department shares vehicle and I was doing my vehicle inspection once and found a 9mm stuffed under the seat. So remember to ALWAYS check your vehicle I dont care if you have a hot call out of roll call take the extra few seconds to check the back seat area it will save your life.
                    Thats a tip for FTOs out there after that incident At somepoint while I am FTOing someone I stach a Knife or a gun in the vehicle to see if they find it.

That's a HUGE officer safety point, couldn't agree more with you. Excellent advice - I remember one of my FTOs pulling the "hidden knife" trick.
                    Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

and they hide it everywhere....
                      in rasta bob marley hair styles
                      weaves..sewn in, wigs, underneath....
                      certain blu jeans have a hidden pocket...
                      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Try not using gloves. I hardly use gloves, besides your gloves will get contaminated. Latex/nitrile gloves are good if they are dirty. Most gloves won't stop a needle anyway, and if they will they are too thick to search with. Pat down yes, search no. That's just me though. Besides your not supposed to slide your hand to serch anyway remember?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5294 users online. 301 members and 4993 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X