300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Call/First Day

As I will be on the road in a matter of weeks, I was wondering if anyone could share their memories of the first call they received. How about the first day?

My first call was your run of the mill neighbor dispute. Neighbor number one was growing bushes that extended over neighbor number twos property. Neighbor number two then went over into number ones yard and cut down said bushes. Hijinx ensued. Call two was a shooting in progress, which was a little more interesting.

Comment

My first day went by without incident. My second day however I received a domestic violence call. This was in the late 80's and domestic violence wasn't as high a priority call as it has become. It was usually handled by telling the victim to come to the magistrate
      Be sure you're right, then go ahead
      Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
      If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

My first call was a minor, non-injury traffic accident at 0615 in the morning. I was brand new, on the first day on my own, and I get a stupid wreck before I could even grab some breakfast. It was made worse by the fact that one vehicle's wheel had come loose, rolled down the road, and struck another vehicle. Having never been exposed to a situation like that in training, I wasn't sure what to do, so I had to call my sergeant.
        "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!'"

Comment

First call, I responded to a report of a man down at a trucking yard. On arrival, there was a deceased individual lying underneath a Hay truck. He had been dead for about 4 to 5 hours. It wasn't a pretty sight, as the temp had been about 115 in the shade.... ewww
          There's no substitute for strength,
          and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

My first call is something I will always remember. I was a south end unit. Being as busy night as soon as I went 10-8 I was dispatched to a civil assist, in the north end of the city, while the ROD zone unit was still yapping away at the PD. Dispatch informed me that I needed to go meet with the complaintant who wanted an officer to accompany him to his ex-wifes home so that he could pick up his children for weekly visitation. I met up with the man, and we proceeded to the home. We knock on the door and wait for an answer. I am to the right of the complaintant. The door opens, and it is the ex-wifes current boyfriend. He looks at me and says hello, looks at the ex-husband, and cold clocks him right in the face. Needless to say, off to jail he went.
            In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
              He looks at me and says hello, looks at the ex-husband, and cold clocks him right in the face. Needless to say, off to jail he went.
              Wow, didn't see that comming. Did he resist when you cuffed him, or was he cool with it?
              U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
              Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

He did not resist at all He simply said it was well worth it to go to jail to hit the SOB. Go figure, but that was the begining of seeing many people do many stupid things. Funny thing is that my department then was so political that my Sgt. encouraged me NOT to make the arrest. To try to convince the victim not to procescute. Needless to say, new department found two year later.
                In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

My first solo call was "investigate a child stealing". First thing I did was pull over and look up child stealing in the statute book. When I got there it wasn't a child stealing but a civil custody issue. 10-8!
                  Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

My first call was a suicide. Elderly man hung himself with his belt. All I remember thinking was "What did I get myself into?"
                    Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                    --------------------
                    This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSix5
                      My first call was a suicide. Elderly man hung himself with his belt. All I remember thinking was "What did I get myself into?"
                      was that at the VA?

Comment

Indeed it was.
                        Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                        --------------------
                        This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

I remember my first few calls. I was on midnight shift.

Call #1 simple disturbance gave a guy a ride.

Call #2 robbery where a few younger m/b hit an older m/b in the head w/ something and took his money

Call #3 loud music several m/b's outside at a very bad apartment complex playing music from their vehicle.

I think we had about 20 calls that night and the next night. It was summertime and I work a very busy area. It was common for us to get 20 calls on the weekends 2330-0730.

It was moving so fast. I was seeing all the 'bad places' we were told about in the academy. And everynight was very fun. It was not like working at all more like going out.

Comment

I started of with bang

Call 1 : Armed robbery in progress at a shebeen in the township (shanty town or informal settlement), two suspects one armed with a AK47. When we got there they were gone, but one of the locals knew where the one suspect stayed, we called in backup and hit the place, found the AK Hidden in the outside toilet. I had never seen so many cops in one place.

We then settled down into the normal swing of things
                            4 x Housebreakings in progress ( Two arrests )
                            1 x Sudden death ( This is a very common complaint, usually aids related)
                            1 x Drunk driving
                            5 x Domestic violance ( alcohol related )

I have never looked back since
                            If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

my first day on my own was holloween night (what luck right?)

The first call was an unwanted person. The caller stated that a women dressed in a bloody bride costume was inside of her house.

As it turned out, the bloody bride was drunker than **** and thought that she was in her own home. The costume was pretty good. Looked like she had the **** beat out of her. (or maybe she really did? ....who knows, all over with now anyway.)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5906 users online. 349 members and 5557 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X