Az. Academy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Az. Academy

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.
    Has anyone out here attended the CARLOTA academy in Casa Grande(Coolridge) Arizona? I will be going there in August. I'm trying to get some insight on what I can expect, or anything I can do to prepare. (Get a jump on things.) Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "Another mans dream is my reality"

Originally posted by TBICJ7
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.
    Has anyone out here attended the CARLOTA academy in Casa Grande(Coolridge) Arizona? I will be going there in August. I'm trying to get some insight on what I can expect, or anything I can do to prepare. (Get a jump on things.) Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Why Carlota, thats a long drive for you isn't it?
    There's no substitute for strength,
    and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

Yeah it is, but that's where the Sgt. says I will mostlikely be going. Either that or NARTA, which isn't really any closer. From what I can remember, there is supposed to be an academy starting here at the local CC. But I think there will be at least 2 more(counting mine) down there in your neighborhood. He(Sgt) tells me that I can come home on weekends if I want, on my dime of course. So I'll probably limit that to twice a month. Have you been there? Any good advice you can give a soon to be Rookie? Whatever you've got would be great. Thanks again
      Jeff

Comment

Yeah it is, but that's where the Sgt. says I will mostlikely be going. Either that or NARTA, which isn't really any closer. From what I can remember, there is supposed to be an academy starting here at the local CC. But I think there will be at least 2 more(counting mine) down there in your neighborhood. He(Sgt) tells me that I can come home on weekends if I want, on my dime of course. So I'll probably limit that to twice a month. Have you been there? Any good advice you can give a soon to be Rookie? Whatever you've got would be great. Thanks again
        Jeff

I don't know if you have had any military training and I am not sure of the rules and regs at Carlota, but what I can tell you is this. Make sure you are not well known, either as a goodie two shoes or a spaz. Make sure that you can run long distances and keep your yap shut. Listen to what is taught to you and study every free minute you have. The temptation to sit around and loaf in your downtime will be present. Resist the urge, and most importantly have a good time. This will be a life changing experience for you.

Good luck

Comment

No, I don't have any military training, except for a Marine Corps. DI as a step father growing up. So keep my head down, mouth shut and ears open is what you suggest? I can handle that. As far as the running, I did well enough to pass the PFT and will have to do it all again once I get to Carlota. My problem is short legs (5'7") but all that can be fixed with more conditioning and training. Would you recommend getting a copy of the state penal and vehicle codes prior to getting down there? I've heard from others that there is alot of code numbers that need to be learned and retained. All of which will start to blend together if forced to learn too quickly.(i.e. 16wks)Thank you for the help thus far and keep it coming if you have time. Stay safe out there.

Comment

What is BHC?

Comment

Bullhead City. Sorry for the confusion

Comment

Originally posted by Mgrif
                What is BHC?

Berry HOT City

Comment

No, I don't have any military training, except for a Marine Corps. DI as a step father growing up. So keep my head down, mouth shut and ears open is what you suggest? I can handle that. As far as the running, I did well enough to pass the PFT and will have to do it all again once I get to Carlota. My problem is short legs (5'7") but all that can be fixed with more conditioning and training. Would you recommend getting a copy of the state penal and vehicle codes prior to getting down there? I've heard from others that there is alot of code numbers that need to be learned and retained. All of which will start to blend together if forced to learn too quickly.(i.e. 16wks)Thank you for the help thus far and keep it coming if you have time. Stay safe out there.

Eh, I don't know about getting the ARS book (Arizona Revised Statutes) I guess maybe it would help. Just remember that there are a lot of laws and you will not learn all of them in the Academy, just a few important ones from each section. I suppose you could look at the Robbery, Auto theft, traffic law sections maybe, it just really depends alot on your class Sgt. on what his forte' is if you know what I mean.

Concentrate on your writing skills, your conditioning and your boot shining skills and you should be fine. Like I said before, don't be a smart arse in the academy and be willing to be punished for others mistakes but don't take it personally.

If you listen and learn what they teach you, you should be good.

Comment

Berry Hot City is right. Although it hasn't been too bad as of yet. So, I can get the ARS book to get a bit of a jump on things. But what about 10- codes? Is there a book on it I can grab now, or do I have to wait 'til I get to the academy? As far as the boot shinning, I can learn that pretty quick. (keep 2 pairs, right?) Then for my conditioning, I'm well above the norm for push-ups and sit-ups, but my 1.5 mile run is what bothers me. I need to shave off more time. Currently I do it in 14:30(14:54 is the DQ time) However, I can live with that as I haven't ran since high school (10yrs+) and recently quite smoking after 15-16yrs. Only time will make me better. Thanks again.

Comment

CARLOTA

Here's their web page, not much info though. Hope this helps.
                      1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

Bullhead city. Wow. CARLOTA is far from there. I am sure you will like CAROTA. I hear their physical (PC) is cake. Nothing like the pain in the *** PC at ALEA. Its a little cooler down there and the campus is a nice place. Tons of college girls. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgrif
                          Bullhead city. Wow. CARLOTA is far from there. I am sure you will like CAROTA. I hear their physical (PC) is cake. Nothing like the pain in the *** PC at ALEA. Its a little cooler down there and the campus is a nice place. Tons of college girls. Good luck.

Cooler yeah, only 200 in the shade. lol lol

Comment

Berry Hot City is right. Although it hasn't been too bad as of yet. So, I can get the ARS book to get a bit of a jump on things. But what about 10- codes? Is there a book on it I can grab now, or do I have to wait 'til I get to the academy? As far as the boot shinning, I can learn that pretty quick. (keep 2 pairs, right?) Then for my conditioning, I'm well above the norm for push-ups and sit-ups, but my 1.5 mile run is what bothers me. I need to shave off more time. Currently I do it in 14:30(14:54 is the DQ time) However, I can live with that as I haven't ran since high school (10yrs+) and recently quite smoking after 15-16yrs. Only time will make me better. Thanks again.

I am gonna say don't worry about the 10-codes for the academy. You are going to find out that just about every agency has their own 10-code. If you want to get the sheet from your agency in order to prepare yourself for after graduation great, but use your brain for the academy stuff first.

Comment

Thanks, for all the replies. I didn't think of waiting until after the academy to learn the 10's. I figured they were standardized for every dept. My bad... Once again, Thanks. Stay safe.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10083 users online. 373 members and 9710 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X