300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Anxiety

So I graduate police academy next friday and I feel as if I don't know hardly anything about how to adequately perform my duties. I know a little of the basics, but i'm a little anxious as to being thrown to the wolves after being sworn in. Is it normal to feel this way on the way into the FTO program? I've done well all throughout academy and have made very good grades, but I just feel as if i'm going to screw up royally with my FTO if I don't remember something. Does anyone have any advice?

Your FTO isn't going to let you do anything that will get you hurt or in trouble. Relax, use your common sense, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Anxiety

Congrats on finishing the academy. My advice is to keep your ears wide open, your mouth shut unless answering a question and take NOTES. Your FTO, if he/she is worth their salt will walk you through the basics. Rarely will a dept "throw you to the wolves" and leave you in a situation where you could get hurt or be a liability issue for the dept. It is far better to be anxious than like a lot of rookies, which is OVER confident and cocky. You will make big points with seasoned officers by being very humble and observant always remembering to watch their backs. When on a call that is your FIRST priority....watch the backs of the other officers. Remember to never take any suspect for granted (even granny) and ALWAYS watch the hands. Nothing can kill you except the hands in a confrontation. Remember that and stay humble and you will do just fine. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you need any advice.

Comment

It is much more dangerous to be a "know it all" coming out of the academy than be in the position your in. Your FTO training is what will prepare you for the streets. Shut up when your FTO is talking, do what he asks, and ask lots of questions. You'll be just fine. And FTO would rather have somebody like you than a know it all any day.
        It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey3423
          So I graduate police academy next friday and I feel as if I don't know hardly anything about how to adequately perform my duties. I know a little of the basics, but i'm a little anxious as to being thrown to the wolves after being sworn in. Is it normal to feel this way on the way into the FTO program? I've done well all throughout academy and have made very good grades, but I just feel as if i'm going to screw up royally with my FTO if I don't remember something. Does anyone have any advice?
          Don
          Kelly

We are the thin blue line
          between you
          and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Don't stress too much. My first day out they threw me in the fire and said "have fun." My sergeant told the deputy I was with to "let her do everything... EVERYTHING." Like others have said, just use common sense. Try not to get too flustered because that will screw with your insticts... don't over analyze what you're doing and don't be afraid to ask questions... they don't expect you to know everything.

Oh, and don't talk on the radio unless you know what you want to say... and don't start talking until you're keyed up.

Comment

Well done on getting through the academy. I have only been in a few months myself. Dont worry, you will be fine. They won't let you screw up.

Hope it all goes well on Friday.

Matt

Comment

This has nothing to do with the Police Academy. But when i was recruited by my current 2nd security agency i had to complete the orientation training. I ask the operations commander will someone be training me at least tonight for on the job training. He said a supervisor will meet u at the post. So my on the job training was about 30 mins then i was on my own. But really I have prior training & some experience and with the post assignment i did not really need anyone to work with me the first night. Now my last agency You have at least 1 day training at the assignment sometimes up to 1 to 2 weeks depends on the assignment. I was a little tad nervous the first night because i did not have but like i said 30 mins on the job training. But i was relaxed i think its because this is my 2nd agency. My first agency i was more nervous first day and the entire 6 months i was kinda up tight LOL. But now im relaxed about everything and more lose.

Good luck to you on your first day as a police officer. You will do fine. Just remember your training listen to the FTO's and do your best. You will be just fine. Good luck

Stay Safe All
                Brian

Comment

from experience

Been wanting to reply... first, congratulations on graduation, the rest will be a walk in the park so to speak. I just want to confirm what our partner below said in a slightly different way. "Listen with your eyes and keep your mouth shut". I learned the hard way that this is a rule that needs to apply. I lost a job for sharing some personal info with my FTO. It wasn't anything that I should have been termnated for but after he got done twisting it I was washed out. Since then I've learned. I listen with my eyes. I try not to speak my opinion unless I'm asked. I keep my enemies closer than my brother. If you follow these simple rules you will, after an unknown period of time, get past your probation period and 'rookieness' and you'll be the one that pulls the 'rookie' over and tells him that he should "listen with your eyes and keep your mouth shut". Stay safe.

Originally posted by 72na55
                  Congrats on finishing the academy. My advice is to keep your ears wide open, your mouth shut unless answering a question and take NOTES. Your FTO, if he/she is worth their salt will walk you through the basics. Rarely will a dept "throw you to the wolves" and leave you in a situation where you could get hurt or be a liability issue for the dept. It is far better to be anxious than like a lot of rookies, which is OVER confident and cocky. You will make big points with seasoned officers by being very humble and observant always remembering to watch their backs. When on a call that is your FIRST priority....watch the backs of the other officers. Remember to never take any suspect for granted (even granny) and ALWAYS watch the hands. Nothing can kill you except the hands in a confrontation. Remember that and stay humble and you will do just fine. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you need any advice.
                  Last edited by British Five0; 05-10-2005, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse, but to sum it up..."You don't know it all, you're not expected to know it all, keep your mouth shut, your eyes and ears open, and don't spill ANYTHING in your FTO's car".

Seriously, you'll be fine, the anxiety is normal.

Gibbmusic
                    Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

I understand how you feel. The police academy in NO WAY prepared me to be a street cop. Don't be afraid to ask questions, take notes, etc. British poses a good thought. Be wary of who you share personal info with, and what type of info. Not saying you should act unfriendly or aloof, but don't share anything that you don't want everyone to know by the next shift briefing. Because you never know.

Comment

this is just my opion but the academy teachs a lot about police work. it cant teach you to be a cop, that comes with experience. it will take time like it does for everyone. we all know there are states where officers must go to the academy before they can work and some require it within a certain amout of time. in my experience an officer with 6 months street experience going to the academy learns a lot more than one just walking in. you know how it feels to be all alone in a bad situation waiting for help and what people are talking about when they describe situations. in your case your fresh from the academy and you have a lot to learn. just relax it will come with time. no one expects you to act like a 10 year veteran just because you got out of the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by HCSO511
                          just relax it will come with time. no one expects you to act like a 10 year veteran just because you got out of the academy.
                          Actually as an FTO, I would PREFER that you act like a rookie and not a 10 year veteran. A lot of rookies run into major problems during their FTO phase because they act like a know-it-all or they make excuses for their behavior. Three more quick tips for you:
                          #1: If you screw up, take it like a man and learn from the mistake. Don't make excuses, don't put the blame on somebody else, and don't cry or whine about it. If you are man enough to say, "yeah I screwed that up, I'll never do that again" then you'll be fine with your training.
                          #2: You'll get your chance to prove that you are a good officer. The first couple days or weeks of training is NOT the best time to prove to your FTO that you are smarter than him or her. If you correct your FTO early in training, expect things to get tough on you. Unless it's something illegal, immoral, or dangerous, then what your FTO tells you is the gospel, so long as you are riding with him or her. Later in training when (and if) you have established a trusting rapport with your FTO, then you can politely disagree with methods or laws or whatever. If you get labeled as a "know-it-all" early, it's a tough label to shake.
                          #3: I guarantee that you'll be scared once in a while, that's okay. Everybody gets scared in this job, and if they tell you they don't they're either lieing or psycho. Don't let the fear dictate your actions. Inside you may be about to pee yourself but on the outside you should exude confidence (not cockiness) and pride in your job. If you are about to square off with big bad Bob for the first time as a police officer, just try to relax and revert to good tactics and training. Your backup will be there but they will be watching to make sure the new guy doesn't run from a fight. All officers like to know that when the dookie hits the fan their fellow officers will be standing there ready to jump in the mix, regardless if they can fight like Tyson or like Urkel. You won't enjoy this job one bit if you are a coward and your fellow officers will not respect you. I'm not telling you to be reckless or provoke physical confrontations by any means. The time will eventually come when you have to get your hands dirty, just make sure you're willing to do it.

Good luck, you'll be fine!

BTW Smokey, what part of NC will you be working in?

Gibbmusic
                          Last edited by Gibbmusic; 05-19-2005, 03:46 AM.
                          Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

man these are GREAT tips....I am about to start FTO in a few weeks and have been trying to read up
                            Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick1701 View Post
                              man these are GREAT tips....I am about to start FTO in a few weeks and have been trying to read up
                              Don't overload yourself with information right now. You've had enough dumped into you from the academy and will have even more with your agencies policies.
                              While in FTO status learn from application not from reading. Watch what your trainer does, good or bad, and learn from it. Learn the law but mainly focus on traffic law because those are the ones you usually make judgements on during the stop.

Some tips that will help you flow better with your FTO's. They will out of the blue ask you where you are. You better know the street and general hundred block or closest cross street, at all times. They will bait you into not paying attention and then pop the question.

Keep your radio traffic short and sweet and don't squeel like a girl when you get in a chase...you'll never hear the end of it because there's nothing funnier than hearing a reasonably sized man sound like a school girl on the radio because he's in a chase.

If you sit down to eat always let your FTO have the seat that faces the door. Thats un-written etiquette to let the experienced officer have the watch dog seat.

Keep your uniform and equipment tight and clean. Nothing says more about an officer, especially a new one, than the manor in which he cares for his equipment. A buff shine on your boots means your professional. A miltary shine is uneccessary for anything other than honor guard. They will be scuffed and look like crap within an hour of working the pedals in your patrol car.

Everyone else covered the rest. The only thing scarier than your first day on FTO is your first day solo. It's normal, don't sweat it.
                              Last edited by leesrt; 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM.
                              Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3818 users online. 248 members and 3570 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X