300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy PT

We as the PT Staff like to keep things fresh and interesting at the academy where I work. I need to hear from you guys about what your PT staff did to you when you were in the academy. Things you liked and things you didn't. What interesting, fun or *** kicker workouts did you do? What did the staff do when you screwed up, either as a class or an individual?
    Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

We did 8 count body builders in the Navy, haven't found a more punishing exercise since.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

A lot of flutter kicks, god I hate those things.
      "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Comment

Point of view from Maryland. When we messed up in the academy, they made us do "fun runs." Though I have been told that our fun runs weren't as hard as the past classes, it was still challenging.

Fun runs: Six or so guys/gals carry a telephone pole and run around the academy for about 10-15 minutes straight (not fun)

Gym time in our uniforms, usually during report writing. Something stupid we would do, would bring us to the gym and give us a good 10-15 work out. Running from one side of the gym to the other, and doing 10 or so push-ups on one side and then 10 or so sit-ups on the other side.
        ------------
        Generally speaking, besides the ones mentioned above...I really enjoyed anything that made us a "team". You feel so much more accomplished when you get done with an excercise that everyone put forth an effort.

Two team building excercises I remember that were a load of fun were:

A course we ran around the academy, going thru tires, running up the k9 track, jumping a fence, climbing a wall, then ground attack (moving with your arms and knees) then doing multiple pushups...all staying as a team.

Another was putting 7 or so people with one tire and one large telephone pole. The object was to see which group could climb to the top and bring the tire around the pole without letting it "fall" to the ground first.

Good Luck.

(this was 3 years ago....so I hope this helps a little)

Comment

Our state patrol academy staff do cross fit with the cadets.

http://crossfit.com/

Its what elite law enforcement and military units use for training. It can be tailored to any physical ability level.

Comment

Originally posted by Gottso
            my buddy's academy did indian runs. 7-10 people jog in a line, when a whistle is blown, the person at the rear has to sprint to the front then jog...and it just continues.
            Man, I hated those.
            If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

This is from my HS football days, but, running the tires was always a good workout and trains you to keep aware of where your feet are. The local junk yard should be able to hook you up w/ a bunch of old tires for free.

We also had these huge wooden boxes that we would jump up and down off of, that was a good workout.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

We had to do what they called perimeter runs, we would run 8 to 10 laps around a highschool here in Vegas (big schools). For disciplinary reasons we would also run what they called "grinders". We would have to properly expand our batons, run in formation down to levels of a parking garage and then return in an orderly fashion up the stairs, that sucked. We did the eight count push-ups,which till this day still give me nightmares...lol. We also did what they called conditionning stations. We would all start by running about 8 laps around a high school track. We would then have to stop at different stations located around the track. 1st station was running in place, stop and do push ups, then we would run around the track to the next station. Do sit-ups and push ups, get up go around the track and the next station was like defensive skils stance, which isnt easy when your thrashed, each station lasted about 2 minutes for the whole 8 laps. You could also add running the track and combination stair runs.

Comment

We used to play a game of cat and mouse on our academy grounds (an army base). You chose the maybe 10 of you fastest runners and make them the cats. The rest of the class goes on a quick 3/4 mile sprint. There is a designated safe spot in the middle of the grounds. Your job as the mice is to get back to the safe spot and it's the cats job to catch you and subdue you. It really makes you use tactics and team work. Not to mention you end up running/sprinting about 4 miles.

Comment

If one trainee messed up the he would be allowed to do an imitation of a dying cockroach, as the rest of the class did 20 to 30 eight count push-ups.

Comment

what is an eight count push up?

Comment

Originally posted by sabathia
                        what is an eight count push up?
                        One, two, three, four, five, six, seven eight down......one, two three, four five, six, seven eight up.................

ONE...............................only one hundred more to go!!!

LOL

Comment

Thanks to all who have posted ideas for me....I plan on implementing some with the next class that starts in June. I gotta share what happened at PT today. We have a deal at the academy where if cadets are sub standard in their performance we make them wear a plain white t shirt instead of their regular PT shirt. They have to earn their PT shirt back. Well today I got a memo from the class Sgt. telling me how she and several other Cadets thought another Cadet was doing much better in PT and he deserved his PT shirt back. I was so dumbfounded that I couldn't even address it today. I decided to take a couple days and formulate my response to the memo so Friday should be interesting.
                          Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

I know this is far fetched, but it reminds me of that movie "MIRACLE" with Kurt Russell coaching the USA Hockey team. If you haven't saw that movie yet, rent it.

Comment

I just re-read that and realized it was from the Class Sgt and not the Tac Staff Sgt, that cadet has some sack on him to write that letter. I can't imagine what he was thinking when he wrote that. How did he send the memo? All our requests had to be made through the Tac Staff when I was in the academy.

Originally posted by PTI
                              Well today I got a memo from the class Sgt. telling me how she and several other Cadets thought another Cadet was doing much better in PT and he deserved his PT shirt back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3347 users online. 173 members and 3174 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X