300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyeglasses advice?

I'm about to start field training as a reserve. I need glasses to read license plates at a distance and a little bit of help with really fine print, which means both near and far correction. But bifocals mean I have to turn my head for good peripheral vision. Should I just wear distance glasses and carry near vision glasses?

Should I get any special sort of glasses or coatings?

Thanks!
    Elaine

Originally posted by Zork
    I'm about to start field training as a reserve. I need glasses to read license plates at a distance and a little bit of help with really fine print, which means both near and far correction. But bifocals mean I have to turn my head for good peripheral vision. Should I just wear distance glasses and carry near vision glasses?

Should I get any special sort of glasses or coatings?

Thanks!
    Elaine

I would suggest getting the glasses for distance and carry near vision glasses. Check with your Optometrist, they have new style glasses that are distance / bifocals without the lines and with smaller bifocal areas, etc.

Consider photograde lenses - the ones that change to dark in the sun and lighten up indoors, Scratch resistant coating and plastic lenses, not glass...

good luck with your training.
    Last edited by sgttom; 04-11-2005, 01:09 PM.
    ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

My current glasses are line-free bifocals and they're small-sized lenses. I find them somewhat annoying, especially when I have to turn my head to use my peripheral vision.

If I can read driver's licenses and tickets in the dark without my near-vision glasses, I could leave them in the car and not have to carry them on my person. I can't think of any exigencies that would require super-precise near vision. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
      Elaine

Comment

I've got some photograde ones and the uv in the patrol car windows don't let them get very dark. Something to keep in mind.
        Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

I think the optometrist is your best choice. He or she is going to best know what the options are that will best suit your needs.

As far as the photograde lenses, I would advise against them. It takes some time for them to go from dark to light -- slower than it takes for your eyes to naturally adjust to a dark environment. What happens if you get a hot call on some sunny afternoon and your perp runs into a dark building. You run in their with your glasses dark and you're instantly blind. Does that sound like a good idea?

I wear glasses and have considered several options, including the changing lenses. What works best for me is to simply wear my regular glasses all the time. Yes, I have to occasionally put up with glare and bright sunshine, but I'd rather do that than try to fumble around changing from sunglasses to regular glasses in the middle of a call.

Of course, once I've saved up the money for Lasik, this will all be a moot point.
          Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Make sure you get ones that break clean, that don
            Kelly

We are the thin blue line
            between you
            and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

I've been a cop for about 6 1/2 years now and have worn glasses every day since I started. If you can read driver's licenses and tickets with the glasses that help you read the tags I would recomend those. If you have to have the bifocals to read dl's and tickets then you should wear them. I would highly recommend having two pairs of glasses. The ones I wear to work have been bent up, stepped on, knocked off in a fight, I don't know how many times. Have a pair for work and a back up pair in case they get broke or you want to wear a nice un-bent pair away from work. I would recomend the clip on sunglasses because you can just snatch them off in a second if you need to go into a dark building from the sunny outside. You definately want scratch resistant plastic or polymer lenses.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3216 users online. 172 members and 3044 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X