Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite is that I work at an ATM, dispensing cash

Comment

This is actually becoming an issue for me.

I just graduated college before I started work, and thus, had several college friends that I spent time with. Well, a few of them learned about my chosen profession and I've noticed that I don't get invited out or contacted as much by some of them. Luckily I work an hour away from where I live but I told a few of them and the word must have spread. I don't like to lose friends over a job but I guess I'd rather them not try and fake their interest in me when I'm around. It's sad that some people are so petty these days that they will just completely disregard your existence because you're now in LE.

Whatever, F them. My girlfriend is super supportive of me and I have several LE acquaintances along with my partners at work that I will try to foster a closer friendship with moving forward.

Comment

I hate when people ask me what I do for a living. It's a rude question yet it's one of the first ones most people ask. Drives me nuts.

Telling people you're a police officer is social suicide. The jokes start immediately; "I didn't do it! Har har har!" or "They're here for you, Steve!". Yeah, hilarious, never heard that one before. As Saluki said above, you also notice old friends drift further away. Part of it is the schedule, part of it is the lack of commonality; when you work emergency services long enough, the only people who get you are fellow emergency service workers. The everyday things people complain about seems so piddly in contrast to what you deal with that you'd rather not deal with it at all. I don't want to hear about how your kid only got B's and C's when I was doing CPR on their classmate a day ago. Getting back on topic...

If people ask me what I do, and I'm feeling irritable, I'll ask them why they want to know. It's a conversation killer but it can be a satisfying one. Otherwise, if I have to play along, I tell people I work sanitation. If they press for what specifically, I tell them I unclog sewers.

Comment

Pentecostal faith healer- I heal people through the laying on of hands...

Life coach-- I help people make better decisions...

Lumberjack- I kill trees...
          Last edited by Aidokea; 07-16-2019, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I don't have to come up with a lie... my wife tells everyone what I do before I can open my mouth. Thank the gods I don't do crossfit and fight fires, she'd never be quiet...
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
              I don't have to come up with a lie... my wife tells everyone what I do before I can open my mouth. Thank the gods I don't do crossfit and fight fires, she'd never be quiet...
              Me too, including my prior military service... Just get used to people treating you differently, and asking stupid questions. I have my disgust face on perpetual standby... you know, like when you show up and people start yelling they didn't do it, or tell you to take their kids to jail...

When you get on the job, your "friends" will change... not the real ones, but the superficial ones. You'll make new ones. Part of being a cop.

As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

This post brings back a lot of memories.

I served in Vietnam 1969-1971, a period of serious anti-military sentiments and anti-war protests. Returning veterans were frequently met by organized protestors, lots of name calling ('baby killer' was the usual), not unusual to have bags of feces thrown at servicemen arriving at airports. More than a few businesses around military bases had signs posted like "NO DOGS. NO SOLDIERS". Many families prohibited their daughters from dating servicemen. Military brass strongly discouraged off-duty personnel wearing a uniform off post. I certainly never mentioned being a veteran at a party or night club.

In 1972 I joined a police department. In addition to anti-draft, anti-war, race riots, and college protests the "war against drugs" was in full swing, and cops were not thought of fondly by a large segment of the population. Probably the most common, and certainly among the nicest, terms applied to cops was "pigs".

Like others have mentioned, at social events I usually responded to inquiries by saying I worked for the city, and later that I worked for the state. Many times I used the line about being a trash collector. Learned never to carry my badge in my wallet, too frequently seen when paying at a restaurant or gas station.

Fast forward to the early 1990's, the first Gulf War. All of a sudden veterans were openly accepted. Camouflage clothing became cool stuff. The trend continued throughout the 90's, then along came 9/11 and "first responders" became heroes. Kids wanted to have their pictures taken with cops, firefighters, etc.

People see the 'Purple Heart' license plates on my truck at stores or gas stations, walk up to me wanting to shake my hand, smiling and saying "Thanks for your service". I usually try not to respond badly but I have been known to reply "Where were you 50 years ago?". Some want to know where I got hit, so I usually say "Dong Ha", or "in the head, makes me irritable sometimes", or "Which time?" (watch the facial expressions then!). Neighbors find out I'm a retired cop and want to unload on me about some stupid traffic ticket or stuff their kids are involved in. Purchased a home in a HOA community 5 years ago, now all the owners want me to handle all their little problems, or act as a security guard for the development.

A private club of which I have been a member for over 20 years is always after me to deal with security matters. Run of the mill stuff like parties or dances I tell them to hire a security company. Now during the coronavirus lock-down I am in charge of checking the property every day, monitoring the alarm system, running off the "homeless population" trying to set up housekeeping on the property. So I spend a couple of hours checking the "sell by" dates of all the beer in the coolers, make sure the outdated stuff is properly disposed of so it won't ever be served to the members in the future. One of the kegs tapped into the system was about to expire so I convened a meeting of my security committee on the open air patio and we spent a few hours discussing how best to deal with that problem.

Oh well. Another little trip down memory lane.

Comment

I don't like telling people who I do not know that I am a deputy or a veteran. Like others have mentioned, it gets weird with the questions. I especially do not like being asked on my opinion of LE incidents on the news. I usually answer with " I don't know, I wasn't there" or " Not sure, haven't heard about it."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4406 users online. 197 members and 4209 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X