Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow Slackers (officers) that I work with

Let

I guess it depends on the type of Department you work for and what your interests are:

Can you transfer to another platoon, shift rotation or another physical location within the Department itself?

Do you see yourself staying with that Department for your entire career?

Are you willing to take the heat for even asking for a transfer, or a release to join another Department?

Do you think that you can set the example for the "old boys" and thus maybe get asked to join a better shift, platoon or special duty squad?

Are you MAYBE a little too cocky being new, and what you think is "slacking off" is really the others guys trying to force you to listen to their good advice, even though you may not have been doing so up to now?
    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
    "Smile" - no!

Comment

Those are all actually really good points. I am new, so that means that the shifts that everybody wants are taken and the guys that I'm with are on this shift for a reason. I've been warned about them by many other officers.

Setting the example is what I've been trying to do, but that gets tiring, and so far all they think is that I'm trying to show them all up.

This department is one of the best in the area. It seems that most people want to work here. The community is great and the department, as a whole, is exceptional. I plan to stay here as long as I can.

I know that I will be changed to a different shift soon enough. But I would hate for other "newbies" or anyone else to have to go through this same thing.

When you have a few bad apples it makes the whole bunch look bad.

Thanks for that advise.

Comment

Virtually every law enforcement agency employs ROD (retired on-duty) officers who commit grand larceny every time they cash a paycheck. Keep working hard, but be careful -- if you outperform them to the point that they look bad, they're likely to try to take it out on you.

On the flip side, I don't think you should report them to the brass for being slackers. You don't want to be labeled as a snitch. Just keep doing a good job, and your supervisors will notice.

If you think another squad might have policing styles that are more compatible with yours, by all means, request a transfer. Good luck.

Comment

I echo these comments. I even have a good example..
          there I am fresh off of FTO (two weeks ago) when my partner calls me for a meet. I show up and he hands me several peices of paper "here this is your report its in your area, I got most of the info there..seeya" I know this is officer is ROD and I was fumming!!!! for about 20 minutes but then I thought fine..I'll take this lousy theft report, np, he is going to be gone in 6 months no big thing...I want the experiance on this type of case anyways, I didn't have many theft calls durning fto so no biggie...I'll just bide my time here and wait for a better shift when he leaves.
          Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

I agree with the other posts, the newbie is normally in a precarious position and it is normally better to just grin and bear it until you have done your time.

It seems to be the same everywhere that the new guys get the bad jobs and the old heads watch them to see how they will handle it.

Don't go to your boss, he knows that they are useless and you will only end up being despised as a nark.

Just remember why you wanted to be a cop and focus on that when the empty uniforms bother you.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51
              I echo these comments. I even have a good example..
              there I am fresh off of FTO (two weeks ago) when my partner calls me for a meet. I show up and he hands me several peices of paper "here this is your report its in your area, I got most of the info there..seeya" I know this is officer is ROD and I was fumming!!!! for about 20 minutes but then I thought fine..I'll take this lousy theft report, np, he is going to be gone in 6 months no big thing...I want the experiance on this type of case anyways, I didn't have many theft calls durning fto so no biggie...I'll just bide my time here and wait for a better shift when he leaves.
              New or not new, that **** would not fly here. I was on scene with a ROD a while back. It was neither of our zones, but all other units were tied up. He was dispatched as the primary unit, and I was dispatched as the backup unit. The way my department works, it does not matter who gets there first. Whoever is dispatched as primary, it is their call, paper, arrest, etc. ROD gets there first, myself second. We do our investigation and a report needed to be done. He hands me his notes and tells me he is clearing the call, and for me to do the paper. NEGATIVE, handed his notes right back to him. HE complained to the Sgt. that me, the FNG would not do the paper on this call. Sgt. asked who was primary. Needless to say, he did the paper.
              In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser266
                Virtually every law enforcement agency employs ROD (retired on-duty) officers who commit grand larceny every time they cash a paycheck. Keep working hard, but be careful -- if you outperform them to the point that they look bad, they're likely to try to take it out on you.
                Or call other officers on day shift to stop doing traffic because it is disturbing their nap!

K9

Comment

Re: Fellow Slackers (officers) that I work with

Originally posted by Utahleo
                  WOW, what an awesome career.
                  Heh, wait a while. There is no other job like it!

K9

Comment

IF YOU ARE GOING ON A HOT CALL AND DON'T FEEL THAT THE OFFICER RESPONDING AS YOUR BACKUP IS UP TO PAR, ASK FOR OTHER UNITS AND WAIT. BEING OVERLY CAUTIOUS BEATS OVERLY DEAD ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. AS FAR AS SLACKERS, THE WORLD IS FULL OF THEM. BE THE BEST COP THAT YOU CAN BE TODAY AND YOU'LL BE AN EVEN BETTER COP TOMORROW!
                    That's the way that the world goes round'.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2393 users online. 103 members and 2290 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X