Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Vehicle Takedown

Hey all,

We had a situation earlier this AM where a neighboring agency had a LoJack hit on a parked stolen vehicle in our jurisdiction. We were told by the other officers, who were already on scene when I got there, that there was a guy in the back seat of the vehicle sleeping. After confirming the vehicle was stolen, we initially tried the traditional felony stop approach, but we soon realized that wasn't going to work because the guy was completely unconscious. We eventually got him in custody but it made for a very awkward, albeit kind of amusing (most likely for the observing officers from the neighboring agency...) apprehension. Nevertheless, I think we could've handled it better safety-wise. I can give more details about how we did it over PM. For you trainers out there, it would probably make for a good practical scenario.

My question is this: Have you faced a similar situation and how did you go about handling it? If you don't want to discuss tactics on an open forum, feel free to PM me. Thanks and be safe.

Even better question - how did you actually find a car from a Lojack hit?

Every Lojack activation I've seen seems to send the units in five different directions and make them think the car is closer than it really is.

Years back I was working graveyard and sitting at an intersection when I heard a local PD unit broadcast that he was catching up to a Lojack vehicle that was five blocks south of me and approaching my location. It was 0200, I looked up and down the street and there were no vehicles to be seen for miles. I sat there for a few minutes listening to the local PD unit broadcast as if he was in pursuit and requesting additional units. Eventually he blew by me chasing no one in particular. Eventually he had half his division searching for the stolen vehicle a mile to the north of me, while at the same time a unit from a neighboring division called in that he had a Lojack hit on the same stolen vehicle five miles to the south of me.

A few years later Lojack installed tracking units in three of our cars and the salesman came by to give us a demonstration. The salesman activated a test transponder in his company vehicle and another Lieutenant and I took out one of the newly equipped patrol cars so the salesman could show us how it worked. The directional indicator on the tracking device was never consistent and at times spun like we were in the Bermuda Triangle. The salesman made also sorts of excuses as to why it was never accurate. We were polite, didn't put him on the spot and just accepted that it was junk.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It can certainly be accurate. Ive pulled up right behind a car that was pinged at a specific address.
      Last edited by davisc1513; 04-14-2017, 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling erroro

Comment

Originally posted by davisc1513 View Post
        It can certainly be accurate. Ive pulled up right behind a car that was pinged at a specific address.
        Dude, this thread is two years old. It's not nice to necropost.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11071 users online. 458 members and 10613 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X