Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25 tests, 13 interviews, 1 successful (failed psyc) How did everyone else persevere?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 tests, 13 interviews, 1 successful (failed psyc) How did everyone else persevere?

Today has not been the best day ever for me. I'm sworn, part-time at one department and have been looking for full-time LE. FT is not currently an opportunity at my department. Today, I got news that after the psych. and oral board, I was not selected to move on with a department I applied to. It was not, however, just any department to me. This stung more than any other non-selection because, when I sit and think about it, there is no other department, as I see it, that I would rather work for. It is exactly where I want to relocate. It is close to another AF base, so I can continue my enlistment. I got along well with the few officers I met. Also the shift schedule seemed to be very advantageous. There are a few more reasons. Another of which was the ability to stay active and fit by taking part in many outdoor activities, during off-duty times, that the region has to offer. The selection would have required a move of 1100 miles. But I was every bit prepared to do it. I sincerely hope, though, that department well and I have faith they know exactly what they're doing. They know better than I ever would. This makes another failed interview (Tho I hesitate to say fail, even failures yield positives). My faith is lacking. How did everyone else keep the faith after so many non-selections? Thanks in advance for any and all advice about how everyone else kept the faith that one day, you would reach your goal.
    Last edited by STX303; 05-06-2015, 08:23 PM.

Originally posted by STX303 View Post
    Today has not been the best day ever for me. I'm sworn, part-time at one department and have been looking for full-time LE. FT is not currently an opportunity at my department. Today, I got news that after the psych. and oral board, I was not selected to move on with a department I applied to. It was not, however, just any department to me. This stung more than any other non-selection because, when I sit and think about it, there is no other department, as I see it, that I would rather work for. It is exactly where I want to relocate. It is close to another AF base, so I can continue my enlistment. I got along well with the few officers I met. Also the shift schedule seemed to be very advantageous. There are a few more reasons. Another of which was the ability to stay active and fit by taking part in many outdoor activities, during off-duty times, that the region has to offer. The selection would have required a move of 1100 miles. But I was every bit prepared to do it. I sincerely hope, though, that department well and I have faith they know exactly what they're doing. They know better than I ever would. This makes another failed interview (Tho I hesitate to say fail, even failures yield positives). My faith is lacking. How did everyone else keep the faith after so many non-selections? Thanks in advance for any and all advice about how everyone else kept the faith that one day, you would reach your goal.

You stand up, dust off your butt, and apply elsewhere.

Or you give up.
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        You stand up, dust off your butt, and apply elsewhere.

Or you give up.
        Exactly. You can either complain about it and feel sorry for yourself or you can get off your a** and keep applying to more places and make yourself into a better recruit.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. It took me a few years and a few attempts but finally got hired with an agency. Just keep trying, don't give up, when the time is right it work out. I start my third day of FTO tomorrow

Comment

I could live with being a loser, but never a quitter. The struggle made the sweetness of getting hired so much sweeter. Carry on or quit, your call.
            Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
            “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
            “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
            "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
            ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Figure out what you did wrong - make a plan to improve. I'm assuming since you are already LE the psych. was not the problem, but rather the oral interview (if you think it was the psych, see a shrink ). Take some time out of your schedule to improve on your interview skills. Perhaps take a class at a community college, attend some job fairs with free seminars, apply to jobs you don't actually want (local jobs) and interview with the employer just to get comfortable interviewing.

Also, take a look at your other skills - when you apply to an agency and take the physical fitness test are you just getting by, or are you getting a perfect score? Make yourself a top competitor! Each time you apply to a new agency, start training to MAX OUT every event in the hiring cycle whether it be physical fitness, writing skills, interview skills, etc etc. If everything you do is excellent except for the interview, they may overlook your interview weakness or write it off as nerves.

Above all, never give up.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that...it's never fun to get word that they decided against you. Sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with you.

I had an oral board at one agency (while currently employed at a PD) and afterwards I was told "We feel you lack interest in Law Enforcement"..Sometimes they just pull things out of their butt.

Another time I was a week away from my start date, went out to check the mail (as I always do) and saw a letter from the PD. It was a thanks but no thanks letter...ONE WEEK BEFORE!

Keep on going, it'll pay off.

Comment

Ahh remember that feeling quite well!

The old saying of "Beggars can't be choosers" might apply here. Pick yourself up, and reassess your situation. Chances are, departments aren't favoring you because you don't have "full time, certified" experience. Start from scratch and apply to every single department that's hiring. Even the department's you don't want to work for. Get yourself a bit of full time experience, then apply to that "dream" department of yours. I had departments completely ignore me(pre-experience)....then come close to begging me to apply(post-experience.)

Here's my sob story if you care to read it.

The very first department I applied for seemed like a dream come true. Great little community, great officers to work with, and a FREE rental property. Now when I say rental property, I don't mean some crappy HUD place where the feds pay you to live in the ghetto, I mean a decent little house with a lawn in a quiet neighborhood! Can you imagine how much money you'd make not paying rent/mortgage?! Chief of the department said he wanted me, and me alone, to be his next officer.

Got so excited I told all my family/friends that I would be moving soon. I even sat down and drew up a picture of how I was going to arrange the furniture in this rental.

Applied and waited....and waited....and waited.....The economy tanked....The ENTIRE DEPARTMENT was shut down and pawned off to the local sheriff's department.

Needless to say I was heartbroken...Really sucks to have a dream crushed by something 100% out of your control, but you get up, and keep on trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo060 View Post
                    Sorry to hear about that...it's never fun to get word that they decided against you. Sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with you.

I had an oral board at one agency (while currently employed at a PD) and afterwards I was told "We feel you lack interest in Law Enforcement"..Sometimes they just pull things out of their butt.

Another time I was a week away from my start date, went out to check the mail (as I always do) and saw a letter from the PD. It was a thanks but no thanks letter...ONE WEEK BEFORE!

Keep on going, it'll pay off.
                    I applied to a major PD in my while in college and got hired with a start date of about 2 weeks after graduation, along with 5 others for a total of 6 hires. The academy started on a Monday and I was called the Friday before (3 days!) and was told that the budget didn't quite work out and only had enough money for 4 and not 6, and I was one of the ones not going to be hired. I was then hired by a sheriff's office a little while later and completed all the tests and was fitted for uniforms and everything else, again few days before I was supposed to start I was told they were heading in a different direction and I was no longer going to be hired. BUT, you just keep filling out the packets and showing up to tests, and eventually it will pay off.
                    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
                    -Sun Tzu

Comment

When I read this, I felt like I was reading something I had written myself. I have had a long, crazy journey to my current job (PM me if you want the specifics). I have had a much more difficult journey compared to others I've worked with, who applied to one agency and was hired immediately.

I had applied everywhere...I was devastated when my "dream agency" turned me down. In hindsight, it was a blessing in disguise; my then-boyfriend worked there as a civilian and it ended up being an awful department. Once I changed what my "dream" was, I found what I was looking for.

My dream was to be sworn, period. I stopped limiting myself to just departments that had x y z criteria and just looked everywhere. I found that agencies I would had never considered (in a county different than where I live) actually had the type of working environment I had wanted. My point is, don't limit yourself.

You're already sworn which is amazing. Get more experience on your current job, maybe get some more education/fix what your deficiencies are and keep applying.

Never ever ever quit. Quit when you're dead. Someone will appreciate your persistence. You can wallow in your pity for a short time, but then suck it up and push through
                      Last edited by msukittycat; 08-16-2015, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Things happen for a reason, sometimes you will know and sometimes you won't.

Just remember, it could be A LOT worse.

Comment

It took me a little over six years to get picked up. Competition is fierce currently. Just keep applying.

Comment

Its hard AF to get a full time job right now. I'm part time at 2 departments and I have an opportunity for full time at one, but have been there over a year. I haven't had any luck with outside agencies myself, but I'm happy for now. Once I see what happens with the full time spot where I'm working, I will decide from there.

Comment

I applied to 8 agencies, they all said thanks try again. So I then joined the Marine Corps, applied to those same agencies plus 5 more. 3 said no forever, 2 said yes, and the rest including the originals said thanks but no thanks. Adapt, overcome, push forward. Pain is temporary, success can be forever!
                              USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
                              Oorah!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5143 users online. 264 members and 4879 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X