300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start my FTO tomorrow.

Tomorrow I get to put on my uniform for the first time on the job since I started Monday. I am excited to start although it will be more of orientation of the city and meeting everyone and also going to different businesses . I Have to get use to wearing my vest and all the equipment . I might put some updates here and there through out my training . Be safe out there!!

Good luck man. Make sure you ask a lot of questions and talk to a lot of people. Best way to learn is to jump in feet first, and better to do it with your FTO at your side. Set up your belt but don't be afraid to adjust it. I've made changes to mine and still find myself reaching for things where they used to be, so it takes repetition to make things muscle memory.

Comment

Don't be afraid to talk to people. Both the citizens and other platoon mates. Platoon mates will help you. That is what they are there for. Get all the info from the citizens, name/SSN/Phone number, find out what happened then talk about random stuff.

Comment

So how was the first day? Good luck to you. If I could give you any advice, it would be not to "watch the show." That is what I see the most with rookies, they stand there as if they are not a cop and are on a ride along and watching us work. Don't be scared to get in there and take control, even if its something you haven't come across yet.

Comment

First day wasn't bad. Just a lot of paper work in HR. And reading a lot policies .

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjastorm View Post
            First day wasn't bad. Just a lot of paper work in HR. And reading a lot policies .
            Get used to the paperwork, it never ends. Like someone above said, adjust your duty belt as you see fit so it's comfortable. Don't overload it, but don't have it to where you wish you needed something when you wish you had it. Start with the basics like gun, handcuffs, radio holder, TASER/Expandable Baton/OC Spray, and then add stuff that you deem is practical. I suggest adding a keyholder to keep your agency FOB/key or a spare patrol car key/unlock FOB so you can lock and unlock your car if you have to keep it running after stepping out while on a call or something. Take it one day and a time, and simply learn as you go; it's a great career.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodCo.Explorer View Post
              Get used to the paperwork, it never ends. Like someone above said, adjust your duty belt as you see fit so it's comfortable. Don't overload it, but don't have it to where you wish you needed something when you wish you had it. Start with the basics like gun, handcuffs, radio holder, TASER/Expandable Baton/OC Spray, and then add stuff that you deem is practical. I suggest adding a keyholder to keep your agency FOB/key or a spare patrol car key/unlock FOB so you can lock and unlock your car if you have to keep it running after stepping out while on a call or something. Take it one day and a time, and simply learn as you go; it's a great career.
              I have all that on my belt already. I might have to switch my baton around from the left of my back. And I am still reading a lot but i made my first traffic stops yesterday and also issued a warnings. I am doing a lot of the driving now to get used to it and pulling citizens over. I think report writing is coming up this next week when I go on night shift. I am loving it so far. Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjastorm View Post
                I have all that on my belt already. I might have to switch my baton around from the left of my back. And I am still reading a lot but i made my first traffic stops yesterday and also issued a warnings. I am doing a lot of the driving now to get used to it and pulling citizens over. I think report writing is coming up this next week when I go on night shift. I am loving it so far. Thanks for the advice!!
                I'm no officer...yet however the thought of having something like an baton on my back sounds like it could add to possible injury - although I could be over thinking...

Situation comes to mind, suspect begins resisting and you have to go to the ground - you bring him to the ground but land on your back first - ouch, there's a baton there that just caused more injury as it jammed into your back.

Just a thought? Although like I said, I could be over thinking and I am also not an officer yet.

Comment

Tecster.... You are over thinking it. Officers also wear a vest. Plus most of the batons on the street are the expandable type. My academy was trained for a while getting thrown down on our backs and after landing on it a bunch it didn't cause any pain. I wear mine right behind mine gun. (obviously not in the way of my draw) I wear it where it needs to by division standards.

As far as report writing, it is not the hardest thing. Just remember to write down everything that happens. Like a step by step narrative of what happened.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Keaner1476 View Post
                    Tecster.... You are over thinking it. Officers also wear a vest. Plus most of the batons on the street are the expandable type. My academy was trained for a while getting thrown down on our backs and after landing on it a bunch it didn't cause any pain. I wear mine right behind mine gun. (obviously not in the way of my draw) I wear it where it needs to by division standards.

As far as report writing, it is not the hardest thing. Just remember to write down everything that happens. Like a step by step narrative of what happened.

Good luck.
                    yes he is over thinking it or yet I could of been more specific. My baton is also by my gun which is my left side of my back. it isn't directly in the middle of my back or anything. I am going on night shift tomorrow so things should get even more interesting on the streets at night.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6199 users online. 323 members and 5876 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X