300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New correctional officer at county jail

Hi, I was recently hired as a CO at a local county jail. My hopes are to eventually move out to patrol as a deputy in the next few years, unless I happen to absolutely love the life of a jail CO, in which case I would stay put.
    I spent a few years as a firefighter/EMT for the federal government and decided that, as much as I loved fire, law enforcement was my passion. I remember as a firefighter out on the big campaign wildland fires, there were so many ways to prove myself as someone who takes my job 100% seriously and in the end, it helped me to move up in responsibility. I would always volunteer to carry the extra heavy items, do the extra hard work, hike the 5 miles back to the engine to get MREs or waters etc.
    My question is, how can I set myself apart as a CO in the county jail as someone who takes this seriously and is passionate about getting ahead and showing my worth? What are the steps I can take and the things I can volunteer for to show this?

I appreciate all the help and advice in advance. Have a great day

Go above and beyond what your job entails when its a appropriate time to do so. Don't kiss a** to your supervisors or brag about the extra things you've done to others. Believe me people will notice on their own, if your consistent. One thing I do a couple of times a month is ask veteran officers what are some things I can work on.

Comment

Start by reading this--------------------------

http://forums.officer.com/t94304/

THEN

#1 You have two eyes and two ears as opposed to only ONE mouth for a reason. You need to listen and watch TWICE as much as you talk during your probation.

#2 Be firm, fair and consistent at all times with EVERYONE including your co-workers and supervisors

#3 You can be an "easy" officer or a "firm" officer or a PRI(K but which ever you choose to be it will be your legacy. YOU will have to live with your reputation so choose it wisely.

#4 Some people can have a "work person" and a "off duty persona" but most can't pull it off. Don't try to be someone at work that you are not really suited for the rest of your life

#5 Remember it is only a job. Being a Correctional Officer is your job, not who you are. On your death bed you will not wish that you had spent more time working.

#6 If you find out in 2, 3, 6 months that the job is not for you -----------LEAVE. It's not for everyone and EVERYONE can't do the job.

#7 Correctional Officers and Police Officers are not "brothers" We are related, more like cousins. Some times fighting cousins and sometimes Kissing cousins............but the jobs are only similar not alike

#8 Do your job as you were taught-------short cuts will get you or someone else killed

#9 Remember #1 your entire career
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Just be a good worker. Your co-workers aren't going to like you if it becomes obvious you are doing all you can to make it to the top. Just handle your business, don't be scared, try to be the first one there when things are going bad, etc.

Comment

That's an incredible read. Thanks so much for sharing. Absolutely an amazing perspective and it makes me look at it from different eyes. Thanks for such great advice!

Comment

Originally posted by CityCop21 View Post
            Just be a good worker. Your co-workers aren't going to like you if it becomes obvious you are doing all you can to make it to the top. Just handle your business, don't be scared, try to be the first one there when things are going bad, etc.
            This x100
            "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4627 users online. 285 members and 4342 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X