Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet Proof Vests

Hey Guys,

I just graduated the academy and my first day of work is Jan 3rd. I have to purchase my own vest (The dept pays for it by keeping my 100 monthly clothing allowance until its paid for.

I see a good sale on GT Distributors (http://www.gtdist.com) right now for a level IIA (389.00) and IIIA (439.00) I don't know a thing about vests except I would think IIIA is better. However, I have spoken with many people and many say that there is no reason to buy a level 3. To me, this doesn't make sense. Why would you go cheaper on something that it's only purpose is to save your life?

Could you guys please explain to me why one is better than the other or the advantages of one over the other? Also, would you buy the soft plates to go with it for 30 bucks each?

Thank you guys very much, I really appreciate the help.

First of all id ask why your working for a department thats so cheap they dont even furnish you a vest.

I know some dont but ill be damned if id work for one who has no more thought for my life ,that they cant get a grant for vest.

That being said,If your buying it get what you want,Not what someone else wants.The life you save may be yours but it wont save theirs no matter what you buy. Let them go cheap.Now if you go work for a department that furnishes you one then your kinda at their mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
      First of all id ask why your working for a department thats so cheap they dont even furnish you a vest.

I know some dont but ill be damned if id work for one who has no more thought for my life ,that they cant get a grant for vest.

That being said,If your buying it get what you want,Not what someone else wants.The life you save may be yours but it wont save theirs no matter what you buy. Let them go cheap.Now if you go work for a department that furnishes you one then your kinda at their mercy.
      They sort of pay for it. LOL. They issue a Taser, Rifle, Shotgun, Glock 22 40 Caliber, duty belt (If they have one that fits you) and take home Taho or Charger. So, they give you a 100 dollar per month clothing allowance and so what they do is...whatever you want to purchase, they will give you the money upfront and then keep the 100 dollars per month until it's paid off. So, if I get a 500 dollar vest, they keep the 100 dollars per month for the first 5 months. After that is paid back, I will actually get the 100 dollars per month.

Can you give me any detailed info on Vests? Just because you spend 800 dollars on one, does that mean it's a good one? If you spend 450, does that mean it's not good? Do you think the price difference between a IIA and a IIIA is worth it. What kind of material should I be looking for if I want comfort? Are they all comfortable or no matter what are they all uncomfortable?

I have looked online and I am reading about these 350 dollar vests that read as good as the 900 dollar ones. I don't know what to look for when doing comparisons. I see IIIA vests for 400 and I see IIIA for 900. I read them and they don't sound very different.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Three things:
        1) Nothing is "bullet-proof." There are only varying degrees of bullet resistance.
        2) At every call to which you respond, there will always be at least one firearm present: yours. As a minimum, your body armor (okay, doesn't protect the entire body, but it's less cumbersome than "bullet-resistant vest") should be rated against whatever caliber your duty weapon is.
        3) Bullets stopped by a vest result in some blunt force trauma, usually bruises. Blunt force trauma hurts like a mofo, but it's usually less damaging than a penetrating wound. A higher level of vest can reduce BFT.

A Level IIA vest provides less protection than a Level II. If you are issued a 9mm sidearm with "hotter" ammunition, you'd be better off with a Level II or maybe even the Level IIIA. <https://www.officerstore.com/images/nijspec2.htm>

"Thus endeth the lesson."
        Last edited by RR_Security; 12-05-2014, 11:18 PM.
        --
        Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

I just bought a vest. I went into GT Distributors and purchased a vest. It is "their" brand. I hot the level 2 and I also purchased the full size chest plate to go with it. The vest was 389 plus a 100 for the big hard plate.

It feels fine, hopefully it works well if and when its needed.

Comment

Hopefully you wont ever have to find out...

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
              Hopefully you wont ever have to find out...
              AMEN to that

Comment

If you're in Dallas, go to GST in Arlington. They can fit you and help you decide what to get. They are also less expensive than GT Dist.
                Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4063 users online. 257 members and 3806 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X