Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confrontations with previous subjects.

Has anyone been confronted by someone they've previously arrested or had to deal with; while in public and off duty? If so, how did you handle the situation? I would just like to know how often this occurs and how it is handled.

All the time,wife has even sorta got used to it.

Best thing i can tell you is NORMALLY ,if you did your job right and treated them with atleast alittle respect for being a human being.you wont have much issue.

Its sorta along the lines,They are one side and we are the other,One side is trying to get by with whatever they can while the other side tries to stop it.Thats basically on the street,in the jail and in prison.

Ive known many that are wasted space and using air they dont deserve ,but they know i have a job to do and only because i treated them even when arresting them with alittle respect and told them what they did,what was going to happen and how we were going to do it and that it was all based on their actions how easy or heavy it would be done.

Most seem in public to always want to come say hello and tell me how great they are doing now that they have been " out " Normally they have been out a few weeks and we both know it wont be long before they are shaking their heads in holding again.

You have to remember alot of the people you arrest wont be in jail when you get your shift done at times.

Old Cons will tell you something alot of young ones dont get yet.Even in arrest this applies.

They want their time easy,But respect goes both ways.

Comment

Since I've stopped working the same area I live, it's reduced but never say never. I've run into people I've cited/arrested in both public and private social settings. Luckily, it never went beyond mutual mad dogging and moving on.

Comment

I've seen quite a few people I've come into contact with while working, but most never recognize me as I look way different out of uniform and in street clothes. The ones that do recognize me have never said anything to me. I've learned that if you treat people with respect 90% of the time they'll remember that about you more than anything. Also I work night shift so half of the people I arrest are drunk as a skunk.

Comment

I have run into people 3 states away from home--------------------

I worked for a state prison for many years and inmates came from all over..................it was not unusual for me to run into someone anyplace I went in Iowa......................The guy I ran into in Kansas was a real surprise
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you all for sharing.

Comment

Out of context and out of uniform, a lot of people won't even recognize you. Sometimes you'll get the stink eye, but it would be quite unusual for something to actually happen. I had one guy come up to me while I was eating lunch in a restaurant and apologize for being arrested, he explained that he was "so wasted" at the time.
              Last edited by just joe; 12-10-2014, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I find this to be a great analogy (at least it has been for me):

Comment

I ran into someone I arrested the very next night (figures). The conversation went like this:

Arrestee: Hey.
                  Me: Hey.

End of conversation.
                  "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                    Sounds about right...although I think Sam needs some more coffee!
                    "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                      In nearly 40 yrs have have run into a lot of people who I either arrested or supervised as a Correctional officer.

I can count the number of MINOR problems on one hand------------------and NEVER had a major one.

But truthfully that is most likely because of my demeanor at work-----I never hassled anyone and most inmates/criminals understood I was just doing my job.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        But truthfully that is most likely because of my demeanor at work-----I never hassled anyone and most inmates/criminals understood I was just doing my job.
                        That's my experience too, it my whopping 4 years (nearly) fulltime.. lol

I live in my county beat, so I run in to folks fairly regularly. There was once I ran into a guy at the grocery store that I'd arrested a week prior who tried to fight. I'd tasered (tazed, tased, whatever) 3 times before he decided to comply. He looked at me, I looked at him, he smiled and said "don't taze me bro!" (trying to be funny) - I said "I'm off duty" - he said "yeah, so am I...." and that was it. It was very weird at the moment, but now I can't help but laugh about it.

Comment

I've run into people and never had any problems. Recently I ran into a guy I had grounded. His shorts were torn off of him when I threw him. The conversation went like this:
                          Him: I know you.
                          Me: yeah, you had to buy new shorts.
                          Him: still a d*ck I see.
                          Me: yep.
                          I then went about getting my coffee.
                          Carry a gun off duty and pay attemtion to your surroundings. You'll be fine.

Comment

I'm armed at all times and have run into a few people I know from work, mostly from when I was a CO at the county jail. Even when I arrest people and am ****ed at them, I'm not an a-hole and disrespectful, so I've never had any issues with it. Most of the time they just want to say hi.

Comment

I had a guy Who I arrested come up and shake my hand while I was off-duty. He told me how I changed his life. Like Said before, if you treat them with respect they will give you respect. And Treat them like a human being.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4618 users online. 281 members and 4337 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X