Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BankerBoy2646 View Post
    Hi Guys,

This question is for anyone from someone who just finished FTO to seasoned professionals and of course FTO trainers.

I am 33 years old, spent the last 7 years of my life as a Banker. I start with my new dept. in early Jan. It is a small town northwest of Lubbock. We have 4 officers including the chief and a population of 2000.

I was told I would receive two weeks of FTO training (Half my training will be with a seasoned certified FTO and the other half will be with an officer who is not certified as an FTO but has 2 years experience in the town. I asked why the FTO program was so short and he stated it was because the call volume is so low. (Approx 2-4 calls every two weeks) He told me that whenever I do get anything, to call and he will come out and teach me case by case.

We do have two highways that run through town. One of which runs from NM to Amarillo and is a big drug running hwy. Most of my activity will obviously be traffic. Traffic and Domestics are taught in the academy as the two most dangerous activities a LE officer works with on a daily basis.

So, finally my question. LOL. What advice would you guys have for me. I will always be working by myself (we do have 1 deputy and state trooper on at a time so we do have back up it just may not be quick)

To the FTO's...What sort of mistakes do rookies commonly make?
    To the rookies out there...What kind of lessons have you learned or mistakes you made that you never thought of before actually hitting the streets?
    To the seasoned officers. Being that I will be running lots of traffic (At night) and the knowledge of it being a heavy drug running hwy, what sort of things should I be looking for to not only keep myself safe but to have a good idea if they are drug trafficking?

I know this was a really long post but I appreciate everyone who takes the time to answer me. I hope to one day have the experience to help out others.

Thank you
    Just an update...I have completed my first week. I am actually getting excellent reviews. I have had two area of improvement. 1 was regarding officer safety. I was talking to a traffic violator with my gun side towards him. Number 2, I rolled through a stop sign.

He said I was the most courteous officer he has ever heard. I asked if I was to nice and he said no but that I spoke to people with much respect and would refer to them by name once I received their licence. Apparently my radio talk is excellent. I personally didn't think that was a big deal but he said a lot of new officers have a really difficult time on the radio.

I only received 1 call this week. It was a car who slid off the side of the roadway because of ICE. I have written about 7 citations and issued about 10-12 warnings.

Everyone it town is very supportive of the police dept. You can't drive passed one person who doesn't waive at you. This is nice.

Today, I have literally have done nothing. I came on at 1400 and did some online training till 1600. Then went to dispatch and sat with them until 1730. The rest of the night has been 0 activity.

Even though it is not busy and action packed, I am having a very fun time. I just love being out here.

I will keep the updates coming. Feel free to add anything if you like.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5326 users online. 328 members and 4998 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X