Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting out of a contract

Hello,

Just wanted some feedback on getting out of a contract. Anybody been there done that? What are the odds? Have to go to court? etc....Any info at all is appreciated. Long story short...I was hired by an agency, sent to the academy, & signed a 3 contract stating I would not go to another department. I wasn't doing that well at the department according to them and myself. I say this not based on integrity or impropriety issues. I was just having a hard time grasping some things at this particular department. They have a reputation for being real strict and micro managing you. Anyways, I resigned. I was not fired. I got hired at a different department, to which I've been told will be much better. Now, The old department says I owe them thousands of $$$ because I went to work for another department. I tried to get them to release me from the contract to which they refused. My argument is that I wasn't succeeding at this department (by their and my standards) and therefore should not be penalized for quitting and going somewhere else. It's not like my intentions were to use them and then take the training elsewhere. It simply worked out the way it did.

Here if you sign a contract, you agree to it. Resigning means you owe them whatever money they tell you. Some agencies around here do it, so they can hold on to recruits and not waste time and money. It was not their fault you were suffering at the agency.

The only thing I can suggest is seek legal council from a union, FOP, etc etc.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Personally, I am curious if you resigned and then went through the process with another agency, or if you resigned because you knew you were getting picked up by another agency? You still need to seek the advice of a civil attorney. I know that some police/trainee contracts have been ruled as unenforceable by various courts.

Comment

You may owe them money for the training, but it sounds like it's more of a non-compete contract and money is only owed if you hop top another agency. I've heard most non-competes are unenforceable. You should get an attorney, they may be able to clear it up rather quickly.

Also, don't feel bad. Not every position is always a good fit. The same job at different agencies or companies can be very different.

Comment

Seek legal advice...
          My department has a $2500 sign on bonus if you sign a 2 year contract. The only way the department won't try to get that money back is if it reaches a point where attorney costs would be more then the reward(if someone worked 22 months of a 2 year contract, it's not worth hiring an attorney/filing court costs to get $300 back.)

Comment

I DID NOT apply to another department until the day after I resigned. The amount they say I owe is tens of thousands of dollars. I'm trying not to be specific so I don't reveal exactly who I'm talking about. I feel I have a valid argument because I was advised by upper command that I should quit, due to how I felt about working there. This is a fact that was verbal only, not writing. This same person told me he couldn't make me quit and it was my decision. Honestly, I didn't want to be a liability to other officers or have a negative impact on the department, but it had gotten to the point that I couldn't focus because I hated it so bad. I really was trying to make the right decision. I HAD NO JOB or any idea how I was going to make it financially. Yet, I still made that decision.

Comment

Even just the fact of resigning while under contract is cause for owing money, whether you jump ship to another agency or not.

But I agree, seek legal advice.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                Even just the fact of resigning while under contract is cause for owing money, whether you jump ship to another agency or not.

But I agree, seek legal advice.
                What he said. It all depends on the department if they are really going to try to get the money back. We had a guy leave sign on for 2 years, hated his new department and is back all in the span of 30 days. Right now department he left isn't asking for the money yet. But I had a friend like you that I went through the academy with and they pretty much said that he could resign or be fired, which sounds like your story. Sucks that they give you that option then ask for the money back.

Comment

You should of gotten a job at McDonalds or some place else between police departments. That might of helped you out of the contract as you didn't go directly to another agency. Not sure if it would solve the problem but wouldn't hurt it either.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4452 users online. 297 members and 4155 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X