300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of Prosecution

I am very new to law enforcement, less than a year. All through the academy the instructors told us to never follow your cases. I can see why. The county where I live and work, there appears to be a lack of support for police and worse, strong support for anyone arrested. For example we just had a deputy that was shot at by a suspect. Long story short the suspect was tried and given 10 yrs probation?!! Shot at the cop. There are many cases like this. Are DA's like this everywhere or ?

Thanks

Our DA's are absolutely exceptional

at plea-bargains and DA dismissals.

Comment

Do your job and keep lockin' em up. I give it 6 months before this guy violates his probation and ends up doing at least a little bit of time. Trust me, these kind of people are INCAPABLE of staying out of trouble for 10 weeks, let alone 10 years.

Comment

Unfortunately this is all too frequent. Many police agencies/courts are overloaded to they rely on the plea bargain system to either speed things along, or keep money locally. As frustrating as it is, you just have to keep doing your job and lock them up again the next time. Its not a matter of "if" its a matter of when.

Comment

Yep. Had a DA say I violated a persons rights for taking a metal knuckle fixed blade combo out of his pocket without consent, but during a pat down. Face palm!

Comment

DA threw out a DWI, where turn bled a 0.21, because she said a defective stop lamp was not a violation of Texas transportation code...
            "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
            -Sun Tzu

Comment

You can't take it personally. Out here we have to do what's called "felony screening." Basically, if I want to charge a felony, I have to call an ASA and tell him the facts of the case, all the evidence, and the suspect's criminal history. They will decide whether or not to charge a felony. I just had a strong armed robbery/dope ripoff that they denied the felony so he got misdemeanor battery and possession of cannabis. lmao!

My old dept I would go "hey sgt, this guy is being a [insert explitive] and he meets the criteria, can I charge the felony?" and then I'd get it approved haha. Places are different and times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
                Unfortunately this is all too frequent. Many police agencies/courts are overloaded to they rely on the plea bargain system to either speed things along, or keep money locally. As frustrating as it is, you just have to keep doing your job and lock them up again the next time. Its not a matter of "if" its a matter of when.
                Bingo

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawk10 View Post
                  You can't take it personally..
                  Do your job..............make the arrests, file the charges and let the suits sort out what happens after that.

You will be busy enough doing your job to not have time to worry about what happens

There are certain cases you will want to give special attention to and sometimes "pressure" the prosecutors to be tough on-----but experience will tell you when to push.

Other than that----------------don't take it personally .

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
                  I have no problem what-so-ever with the plea system.......................after watching the PRISON system for as long as I did I fully understand overcrowding and court overload

You WILL get a chance to see the vast majority of your mopes again------------and again----------and again
                  Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-16-2014, 07:45 AM.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by TX Longhorn View Post
                    10 yrs probation?!! ... Are DA's like this everywhere or ?
                    Once a defendant is tried and convicted it's the court that makes sentencing decisions, not the prosecutor. I get your point, though. Just as cops don't make an arrest for every violation they encounter, prosecutors don't file on every case. Call it prosecutor discretion.

Comment

There are good cops, and bad cops, good judges, and bad judges, good States Attorneys, and bad States Attorneys.

Do your job to the best of your ability and that's all that can be expected.

We have judges here that think if a police officer is assaulted during an arrest that's "all part of the business". Funny when judges get a death threat it's a top priority and none of them seeing it as being "part of the business".

You are 1/3 of the criminal justice system. The quicker you realize that the better off you will be. Now if you aren't getting convictions because of the quality of your work that needs to be addressed and you would hope the prosecutor would be telling you this.

Comment

To add to part if the original question tho,No. our DA i wouldnt trade for the last few years since he took over.He not only has our backs but even in the jail if a inmate hits or scratches a officer they are charged with APS and he prosecutes them fully for it.
                        Its been nice having a DA that backs the DPS,SO and local PDs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6578 users online. 361 members and 6217 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X