300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for advice

I'm looking for advice on how to talk to my dispatcher.

Here is a little backstory I'm a young officer that works at a small department, my dept. is made up of older officers that aren't very active so, this particular dispatcher is not used to having much going on since she has been working for a long time and close to retirement. Anyway the other night I had her look up an address for me so I could attempt to pick up a warrant, so she knew what I was going to be doing. I see the wanted individual walking down the street just two houses down from his house. I stop call in that I'm talking with him, tell him he's under arrest and he runs. I call it in and end up taseing him and also call in taser deployed. Dispatch doesn't answer and my assistance that is coming from another town because he hears what is happening and that I'm not getting any response again tells my dispatcher and she says on the radio "No he didn't" referring to me using the taser. Also she doesn't check your status hardly no matter what type of call your on.

Anyway how would you talk to this dispatcher.

To me, this sounds like a very serious problem that your supervisor would be able to take care of.

Comment

Who is in charge of the dispatchers? I assume there is some kind of SOP that dispatchers have to follow. If they are not following it, bring it to the attention of their supervisor.

Comment

We normally have 2-4 dispatchers on at all times. you cant get out of the car without them asking where you are . Good group of women we have. As mentioned thats a problem chain of command needs to address and quickly.

Comment

Don't say ANYTHING to your dispatcher. If you have a problem with another officer, it may be appropriate to talk to the officer face-to-face. But dispatchers are a different story. Talk to YOUR supervisor about it, and then your supervisor can talk to her supervisor.

I think there is always a bit of a love/hate relationship between officers and dispatchers, and it goes both ways. I get extremely frustrated when I have to repeat something during a tense situation, but I try to keep in mind that the dispatcher often has a lot going on too.

Comment

As already noted- run it by your immediate supervisor first.

This brings up a few questions though- why are you doing warrant service without backup? Did another officer start your way when you marked out with the subject?

Anyway- how dispatch centers run can be hit or miss and thus from shift to shift. But in the end it is you who must be proactive in doing what is reasonable: ensure you are clear about your field activities, when you are out with a subject and where.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I disagree with the others - I think you should DEFINITELY talk to your dispatcher. This is what you say:

"Hello ma'am! How are you today? That is a pretty outfit you are wearing. Here, I brought you some fresh pastries from the bakery down the street. I just wanted to say thank you for all you do in helping us stay safe out there. We couldn't do out jobs without you! Please let me know if you need anything from me, and I hope you have a great night!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3074 users online. 135 members and 2939 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X