X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KevinCW
    replied
    Originally posted by Yamahammer342 View Post
    I still have 6 weeks left of academy, but I'm already thinking about things. I have a few random questions for you guys.

1. Do you guys recommend deleting facebook? I hear a lot of instructors at the academy telling us we should.

2. If you have a garage do you park your cruiser in it? I was planning on parking mine on the street in front of my house, but I have had a few family members say that they are afraid it will make my house a target.

3. What do you carry off-duty? (firearm)

Thanks guys, I'm sure I will have more questions later.
    1. I don't have a facebook page, and am aware of what i post online. NOTHING on the internet is anonymous. If you wouldn't want your mother to read it, then don't post it.

2. I park my car in my driveway and my personal car in the garage. Never had a problem.

3. I carry a Glock 27.

Leave a comment:

• jchughes05
    replied
    1. This is personal preference unless agency specifies... I deleted mine, but for personal reasons.

2. Talk to your agency admin staff. I live in a townhouse so my personal vehicle is parked in one space and my police car is parked in the other.

3. What do you carry off-duty? Glock 36 Slimline

Leave a comment:

• dcpd25305
    replied
    Set it to private. Delete any information about where you live or work. Set your profile to the highest setting possible. Don't post any pictures that would discredit you in court (drinking pics stuff like that). DON'T POST PICTURES IN UNIFORM. Don't talk about politics on Facebook. With all of this in mind you should be alright.

I carry Glock 23 off duty. fits my hand well and shoot it like a champ.

I would park my patrol car at the Fire Station or City hall parking lot. I would never leave it in my driveway at home. Unless you get called out in the middle of night or day. If that is the case park in garage. I know officers who have had random people show up at their front door. I know officers vehicles who have been vandalized or even set on fire. Its a risk we all take as LE. Use your best judgement.
    Last edited by dcpd84; 11-06-2013, 07:36 PM. Reason: More Info

Leave a comment:

• kermit315
    replied
    1. Make facebook as private as possible and only have people on it that you actually know and trust. Dont post extreme stuff on it. Try and keep a low profile, so to speak.

2. Refer to agency policy, but mine gets parked in my second driveway, as does my neighbors, and we dont have problems.

3. I carry a G22 for duty, and a G27 for a backup/off duty. Refer to your agency policy, and carry something that you shoot well.

All of the above is my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Leave a comment:

• just joe
    replied
    My colleagues have covered this pretty well. There is not a problem with FB; there is a problem when you post stupid things on FB.

Leave a comment:

• Che
    replied
    I still have 6 weeks left of academy, but I'm already thinking about things. I have a few random questions for you guys.

1. Do you guys recommend deleting facebook? I hear a lot of instructors at the academy telling us we should.

2. If you have a garage do you park your cruiser in it? I was planning on parking mine on the street in front of my house, but I have had a few family members say that they are afraid it will make my house a target.

I have Facebook and nothing on it would suggest I am a cop.

My brother is a cop too. The night before graduation his academy class went for pizza and beer. One of his classmates, top of the class since he was a former cop from another state, got stop for drunk driving. Just an hour before graduation he was terminated. The dude now makes t-shirts for events and the weekly swap meet.

Be smart, stay safe

Leave a comment:

• Silentfaith
    replied
    I finished the academy in July, and recently completed Field Training (FTO).

1. You do not have to delete your Facebook. I have mine, and a majority of my co-workers have Facebook as-well. Just change your privacy settings. Also be cautious of what you post, DO NOT post anything related to work or personal opinions on cases and things of that nature. Just use your Facebook for what it is meant for and that is to keep in touch with friends and family.

Again, be cautious of what you post.

2. Follow your agency policy. I park my patrol vehicle in my driveway. I'm proud of what I've accomplished and I have good neighbors who enjoy the presence of my vehicle being visible.

3. Follow your agency policy. Every agency has their own rules and regulations as far as off-duty firearms go. For example my agency does not require us to carry off duty, but I do carry off duty. Because I carry off-duty I had to qualify with it through my agency and they also provide me with off-duty ammunition. My off-duty firearm is a Glock 19 (9MM).

Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• sgt jon
    replied

If nothing else you should adjust your Privacy Settings to ensure content is limited only to direct friends and MORE IMPORTANTLY- don’t post anything inappropriate!. I need not point out the countless cases of LEO’s and other public figures who have suffered the consequence of having posted inappropriate material to a social media forum. This includes Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Check with your agencies policies regarding social media. Some departments have no policy (which is bad) and others have very specific guidance as to what you may do even on a personal page.

And remember- once on the Internet- forever on the internet.

There have been cases where a marked unit has created issues for cops- but the biggest issues you will likely face is that of potential vandalism- nothing worse than having someone egg your car. That and the fact that your neighbors will take the presence of you cruiser as several things:

• An open invitation to pester you with “legal” questions

• An indicator that you don’t work “enough”

• A place for folks to point to when they say they have a cop neighbor

Your choice in off-duty firearms will first be driven by department policy and then what fits your particular needs and situation. Once you identify what you can carry- you will need to find what works for you. The latter is something only you can answer.

Leave a comment:

• moparfan
    replied
    1. make FB private to only friends and family, don't post stupid stuff and your fine, watch who you allow on facebook

2. follow department policy. some departments require parked in a garage other say must be parked out in drive way. you are right that it does make you a target. a way to limit that threat is treat all people fairly and you will be fine. don't take thinks personal. I call inmates sir, why because its descent human respect and it goes along in the jails and the streets. treat how you would want to be treated.

3. follow department policy as far as weapon. if you can carry a compact version of duty that's a plus, since its the same features as duty and in a jam muscle memory will kick in. sometimes compact is not an option and your back up is understandable. just go by policy and practice practice practice

Leave a comment:

• Yamahammer342
    started a topic A few questions from a new LEO

A few questions from a new LEO

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2048 users online. 127 members and 1921 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X