300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just sworn in. Any advice?

Any advice my fellow brothers and sisters can give to me, I would be greatly appreciative. I was recently sworn in as a Peace Officer. Thanks for your time and assistance!

Have you been to the academy yet or not?

Comment

Assume everybody you meet is going to kill you, have a plan to kill them instead, and make it your priority in life to go home unscathed at the end of each shift. As for the rest, let the cards fall where they may.

Comment

Ditto on what arkansas fan said.. and stay away from the office gossip as long as you can. Best advice and my old friend said was remember to "never dip your pen in the company ink", meaning don't date people you work with. Never usually ends up well. Good luck, be safe and above all be honest. You can screw up and make mistakes, just be true to yourself and your values and it will all work out.

Comment

Act nice, but think mean and have a tactical plan to kill everyone that you see.
          We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

Handcuffs come off as easy they go on....don't hesitate to cuff someone if you feel that they may become a problem or maybe arrested.

Comment

Always know where you are.

Don't be a whiner.

Cuff first, ask questions later. If you have a reason to detain, you have reason to handcuff.

Don't lie. If you find yourself in hot water because of something you did, and the brass is interrogating you, just assume that they already know the answer to every question they're asking you.

Be nice to people.

Comment

Just Sworn In. Any Advice?

Have you heard the old saying, "In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC"? I have made some good warrants arrests on people you wouldn't think were wanted.

If you use Facebook, be very careful what you post. Some coppers have posted stuff embarrassing to them and/or their agency and it has really jammed some people up.

I think the military has the old saying, "Two is one and one is none." If you are doing even the most mundane task, think about what you will do if things so south. If you are directing traffic with a flashlight and traffic wand, have a second flashlight ready in case the first one quits.

Situational awareness is huge. Listen to what calls others are responding to because you may have to go help them. Listen on the radio and learn the geography well in your area and neighboring areas in case you have to go assist them.

Watch the hands. Feet can kill you, but it is usually the hands.

Learn as much as you can about the tools you use. Become proficient with all your weapons and other equipment. Know how to use everything in the car.

Get to know the officers from other jurisdictions that you work with. Do you border an area covered by another PD or SO? Set up a meet and learn about what they do. Do you have major highways running through your area, get to know the troopers. Meet the paramedics and firefighters. They are great people and knowing how they operate ahead of time can come in handy.

Other than that, enjoy the ride because now the real learning begins!
                Last edited by Jim1648; 12-17-2011, 04:36 AM. Reason: Details

Comment

[QUOTE=Code6Chuck

Don't lie. If you find yourself in hot water because of something you did, and the brass is interrogating you, just assume that they already know the answer to every question they're asking you.

[/QUOTE]

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for mercy". Code6Chuck brought up a great point. You never want to damage your integrity.

Also, as hard as it sounds, do not spend all your time being "the police". Not all of your friends/family/coworkers want to hear your war stories. In fact, it's always a good idea to keep a low profile. I know guys who love announcing to the world "I'M A COP!" Try to limit that, you never know may want to hurt you or your family only because of your profession.

One last thing; if you don't know how to do something, or if you get asked why you didn't do something, don't say "Nobody ever showed me how." Admit your mistakes/shortcomings and take responsibility for them. Nobody knows everything.

Most importantly, have fun! YES THIS JOB CAN BE FUN and it's ok to admit it!
                  Last edited by Danny216; 12-18-2011, 09:02 PM.
                  The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

Yes. Dont take advice from anyone on here....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11152 users online. 426 members and 10726 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X