X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Officer and Rookie Supervisor

Removed...............
    Last edited by Silv07; 10-19-2011, 06:03 PM. Reason: Removed
    In God we trust, Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them.

Officer safety is paramount so as a supervisor, you have to suck what ever the problem is and make it known. Start with the officer with the problem. If that doesn't work by what ever means you have at your discretion, you will have to go up your short chain. He/she may get someone killed and/or be responsible for other type of liability issues which could literally close a small department.

Comment

What has the Lt. done to address this issue?

Comment

Not sure what the /question problem is. Fix the problem; tell him how it is. I'm not a supervisor, but when I see something thats needs improvement, I let that officer know.

Comment

A Different Thought

Step back and think this through for a minute. Are you the supervisor or are you just the officer in charge on the watch? There is a world of difference in responsibilities and function between the two.

Does your department's written SOP specifically task you with supervisory responsibility in the absence of the Lieutenant? Does this include training, counseling and disciplining subordinates? Have yougone to supervisor's school? Will the department discipline the other officer if he fails to follow your orders?

I bring this up not to belittle you, but simply to point out that in smaller agencies, positions such s yours are usually looked upon as being a lead officer rather than a supervisor. Signing off on paperwork, giving minor advice and guidance on department policy is often the norm. But fine tuning an officer's performance usually goes beyond that of a senior officer or lead's area of responsibility. There is also the issue of appearance and politics. It is highly unusual for an officer with less than one year's experience to be counseling another officer with six or seven year's experience about his poor job performance. Even if you are right about his lack of officer safety, your lack of time on the job and limited experience causes you to lack any meaningful credibility in the other officer's eyes and he will just blow you off. Matters such as this should be referred to your Lieutenant to address.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Removed.........
            Last edited by Silv07; 10-19-2011, 06:04 PM. Reason: Removed
            In God we trust, Everyone else keep your hands where we can see them.

Comment

I'm not trying to offend, but how long have you been an officer? Just a year or did you have prior experience?

If just a year I would be scared *****less being a supervisor. Or looking back I would be...knowing how freaking little I knew about everything then...or still even now...especially in a small dept.

If you had even a few years on somewhere else, I'm preaching to the choir and you know this.

If after your talk this officer's safety issues did not improve I would approach the Lt. or Chief again. Damned thing is, in small depts...even in large ones...these things often fall on deaf ears. At my dept. the ones we complain about the most for this kind of thing just become detectives where they dissapear or take some other such assignment where they don't have to deal with the street. (Not saying that all detectives are like this )

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5090 users online. 281 members and 4809 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X