300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown unknowns

On 6-1-11 at approximately 1000 hours; my FTO (name and DOB withheld) advised me (name and DOB withheld) if I had any questions about the job, life, case law, or what if situations to let him know and we would discuss.

Sorry bad attempt at humor by writing reports. The problem I'm having is after discussing a lot of things for hours on end. It still feels like there is so much stuff I don't know that I don't know, if you can follow that logic. Does this get better after getting some seat time, after coming back from the academy. Or does the feeling never go away just the volume tuned down a bit.

I'm having a lot of fun and learning a lot, just hate this floundering feeling.

You never stop learning.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

It's a never ending battle, just learn and do the best you can

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
        You never stop learning.
        ^ this
        Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

The day you feel you know everything and there is nothing left to learn, is the day you become complacent and a danger to yourself and those around you.
          Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

You will never know enough, but the floundering feeling will slowly subside as you get more street time. You will begin to recognize the elements of crime quicker and that will allow you to know what needs to be done faster. From there you just keep fine tuning your skills until you retire.

Comment

You will learn the statutes in a out after a couple years, but hew case law changes all the time with new opinions. You have to sort out SCOTUS opinions, state opinions, and appeals court decisions. I love digging into case law as it can be very beneficial. Look at all the DUI case law from just the last year and you head will spin.

It is a never ending game...always learning and always trying to stay at the top of the knowledge ladder...unless you become a slug...which I hope you don't.

Comment

I hope you never stop learning.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  I hope you never stop learning.
                  Yea, as soon as we start to figure you girls out... you change it up again "a little more to the left...no the right....no now up a bit......faster..........no now to the left"

Hun I just finished...

Hanging your new painting
                  Last edited by Buffaloboy; 06-06-2011, 06:00 AM.
                  Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

The bigger problem is officers who think they know everything.

Comment

Youre new. Give it time, you haven't even been to the academy yet. It takes a few years to get to the point where you are pretty much self sufficient.
                      For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

I think that is why a lot of us do this job anyway. Everyday is something new and every situation is a little bit different. Like everyone already said, you will keep learning things until you decide to retire.
                        "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

Questioning yourself about how you could have done something better is how you get better. There is a difference between doubting your abilities and wanting to improve. I think every officer here has had one of those "Oh S&*T" moments at the end of the shift when we think about how the shift went. Just relax and listen to the sage advise of those that have been there and done that. They will get you through the end of the shift. Those are the ones that want to suceed because they want the best officers around them. If you haven't figured it out yet, you will be able to seperate the horse dung from the horse.
                          Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

I would venture to say that the reason you are feeling overwhelmed is that you have no real frame of reference for things yet. The academy will (should) give you that. There will still be a lot you don't get because they throw so much at you it can be difficult to retain everything. A couple years after I finished the academy, I signed up for what was supposed to be an intermediate level accident investigation course. I was surprised to discover that the course was exactly the same course of accident investigation course we had been given in the academy (We have an in-house academy). The big difference though was what they were teaching actually made sense to me the second time around, because I had quite a bit of experience working accidents. I learned the very basics of it in the academy class and the repeat fine tuned it and made me a heckuva lot better. You will have that deer in the headlights look for a while. It sounds like your FTO is doing his job. Take advantage of it, if you don't understand something, ask for clarification AT the appropriate time of course.

Comment

Basically you're feeling that you don't even know what it is that you even need to learn? After the first few months on the road you will finally see the area(s) that you still need to learn. These are the important areas that you will say to yourself "okay, i need to ask, and study this area of my job, the law, etc.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4438 users online. 244 members and 4194 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X