300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried mother

What do you say to your family to reassure them? I am about to start FTO and I know my mother is very worried. She was asking what to do if she hears about an officer down on TV and thinks it might be me. I told her that if anything were ever to happen to me they would get in contact with her. I have told her before that I have received the best training and I will always wear my vest. I know that all the LODDs that happened while I was in the academy haven't helped any. I just don't want her to make herself sick with worry.

brusheda24,
    This is what mothers do...worry a lot! Try to reassure her that you are VERY well trained, and that your fellow officers are trained to look out for one another. It may not help, but at least she will know that you take the job seriously, and that you will do all you can to be safe. Good luck in your new career!

Comment

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
      brusheda24,
      This is what mothers do...worry a lot! Try to reassure her that you are VERY well trained, and that your fellow officers are trained to look out for one another. It may not help, but at least she will know that you take the job seriously, and that you will do all you can to be safe. Good luck in your new career!
      I concur 100%.

While my days of being a rookie are long past, my parents still worry about me. Even if I was in another vocation they would worry; that’s what they do. While you have an inherently dangerous job, life is dangerous. The best way to smooth over those new cop son jitters is to be safe and show it. If you get your posterior handed to you, go fishing for a few days and don’t make a big deal of it.

This too shall pass.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

You say "Mama, if you got time to worry, you got time to pray." You're much more likely to get stabbed in the back by an administrator than a dirtbag anyhow.

Comment

Mothers have been doing that for thousands of years.........................
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

^^^and will continue for the rest of their lives!
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

...........Yep!

Comment

My mother never stopped worrying about me...my father still does. It's what parents do and you can't stop her. However, perhaps Mama shouldn't hear the stories about fights and shots fired, you know.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to share most stories with her. I'm sure its gonna be difficult not to share all the exciting things this career has in store for me.

Comment

My dad worried when I first started at the prison and told him not to worry they were all instructed to follow the rules and attacking a C/O was against the rules. Now that I just started on the road he told me not to worry it's against the law to attack a Deputy.

Comment

If you ever get hurt, call her (if able) and tell her you are going to be OK, before she hears it through the media.

Comment

If you ever look up and see a news chopper filming your scene, call your mother as soon as it is safe to do so. Don't ask me how I know this.

Comment

Don't let mama or your significant other get a scanner with your freq. on it! Every time they hear a call they automatically think it is you responding. Also, tell you mom that the department will notify her if you're injured before the media gets the story out.

Comment

my husband has told me everything you have told your mother and so have other officers but i still worry about him everytime he goes out.he has learned to call me if he has been involved in a shoot out so i dont hear it on the news first and start to worry.he has made that mistake before and i flipped out lol. just assure her you will do everything you can to be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by tk5 View Post
                              you say "mama, if you got time to worry, you got time to pray." you're much more likely to get stabbed in the back by an administrator than a dirtbag anyhow.
                              ^^^^^^^^
                              perfect.
                              "Land of the free, Because of the Brave"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3495 users online. 189 members and 3306 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X