Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost Phase

looking for a few quick tips...

I start ghost phase next week. I work 7 straight 12 hour shifts to transition to ghost phase. I guess I'm a little nervous! I've been told I'm doing great in training. I haven't had many bad evaluations BUT I'm still a little lost when it comes to finding some streets in my town. For the most part I know them but there are those few that you don't travel much.

Also, I keep forgetting to do stupid small things! Packaging evidence and drugs are still a little blurry to me. Some of the procedure for paperwork...

Just knowing that you get a call and your FTO is sitting there watching what you do and if you pass the house you have to turn around. Makes me sweat!!! Maybe I'm just stressing to much. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

If they are putting you in the final phase of training, I would take that as a sign that they expect you to pass. As far as evidence procedures goes, make yourself a checklist so you ensure that you perform all the necessary steps. LOL as far as the FTO sitting there observing everything you do, what do you think we did during the rest of the training? You are where you need to be, step up and take care of business.

Comment

Don't sweat the evidence, I'm on my second department and guys who have been doing this a long time still get nasty emails from evidence about messing something up.

Comment

As an FTO told me once…. “If we weren’t sure you could do this, you wouldn’t be standing here now”…

Just remember, officer safety is always first, period. Past that, take it slow and think about what you’re doing. It’s not a race, especially when processing evidence, doing reports, etc. Don’t get anxious and rush. You’re going to be “watched” for the rest of your career so just relax, focus, and do the job. You’ll be fine…
        Opinions expressed in my posts are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the views of any employer, past, present, or future.

Comment

I have been doing this for six years and still screw small things up. You are not, and will never be perfect at everything. Do what is right, do it safely and with good intentions. I tell all of my rookies that a report can be redone, property can be repackaged, and charges can be refiled. BUT there are no "do-overs" once a round is down range and someone is injured or killed. Focus on safety, tactics, and making sure everyone goes home at 10-7 time and you will be fine. Good luck.
          Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
          To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

I agree with nefto on the checklist. CHECKLISTS save you time and lots of errors!!

Comment

The checklist idea is great. Also, if you are faced with something you can't figure out, think of what you will do in two weeks when you are solo. Hopefully you will pick up the phone and call a more experienced officer and ask for help. You don't know everything right now (and you never will.) I would much rather see one of my recruits pick up the phone and ask a question rather than fake it and get it wrong. It's a sign of strength, not weakness in my book.
              Did you ever notice that incorrectly is only spelled correctly when it's spelled incorrectly?

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice! I made it through the month with no major issues. Just a few stop signs that I completely blew through lol. I've been solo for about six months and loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownTX View Post
                  looking for a few quick tips...

I start ghost phase next week.
                  Bring some chains to rattle and moan really loud. That's what the ghosts around here do...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4905 users online. 270 members and 4635 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X