300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to FTO's and Vets about laterals

This question is catered more towards FTO's but I wouldn't mind other opinions views too.

I've been a sworn officer for almost 4 years now and have been doing quite well. Jumped on the TAC team last year and trying to do my best with the job at hand.

So my question is I might have an opportunity shortly to lateral out of state to a much larger department. If I take the position I'm obviously going to be a rookie again (To the OLD guys I'm still a rookie, but it's all good), but when I'm in FTO is there any suggestionns on how to make a good impression on the new PD? Any experiences on laterals coming over that were just plain ol pathetic?

Most of the questions I'm asking are pretty much common sense, and I'm pretty sure I can handle the new PD without looking like an imbecile. However, it would be nice to hear some feedback on what to do, and what not to do.

When you join the new department--------------act like a rookie.

You don't know crap...........you absorb everything you are told--------and get through FTO as quietly as you can.

You will get some breaks because you are "trained"........but don't' expect too many
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-25-2011, 08:53 PM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      When you join the new department--------------act like a rookie.

You don't know crap...........you absorb everything you are told--------and get through FTO as quietly as you can.

You will get some breaks because you are "trained"........but don't' expect too many
      +10000000

You are right back down at the bottom of the food chain.......and will win far more respect if do NEVER utter the phrase 'well, this is how we did it at xxxxxxxxx'
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
        +10000000

You are right back down at the bottom of the food chain.......and will win far more respect if do NEVER utter the phrase 'well, this is how we did it at xxxxxxxxx'
        We all know that^^^but it never hurts to be reminded...
        It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
        Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

I train experienced officers differently than I train rookies. Certainly our rookies spend a lot of time being corrected on traffic stop tactics, officer safety type issues, paperwork issues, investigatory procedures, etc. SOME of those things you won't have to be trained on, perhaps refreshed on, but not trained on.

That being said, you'll do traffic stops differently there than you do at your current agency. You'll do paperwork different, you'll work with a different prosecutor, you'll work with different supervisors, etc. So you'll have to learn their ways and their procedures for things. If you simply show up to work, do your job, accept constructive criticism and learn the new procedures, you'll be fine.

I won't say you should NEVER say "this is how we did it where I came from" but there are very, very few situations where that'll be good for you. If your training officer asks you why you did something the way you did, saying "well, back at My Old PD, we were trained that way because of X, Y, and Z," then that's fine. If you're told to do paperwork one way, and you say "no, i do it this way because at My Old PD we did it that way" then you'll not do well.
          Originally posted by K40
          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

The simple fact that you posted this question indicates that you have the correct attitude for a very smooth lateral.

-V

Comment

Been there...did a lateral from 1 state to the next almost 6 years ago now. If you have the mind set that you are willing to learn "their style" you will be OK. That was the hardest part for me. I had been use to doing things one way for so long. Not to mention, I left a State and went to work in a Commonwealth. That was a big adjustment for me. I was a FTO and K9 hanlder starting over as a 3rd shift patrolman. Just had to come to work with the mindset that I was "learning" again from my FTO at this dept. There were a few bumps but it all worked out pretty good. In less than 3 years I made it to the Detective Bureau.

I never used the "thats how I did it at xyz dept." We had several discussions about how things were done there compared to here. Obviously, there was some good and some bad with both. We had a good time... two experienced Officers riding the midnight shift together, we locked sum *** up.
              “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.”
              ~Harry S Truman

RIP Brothers

http://www.odmp.org/officer/16897-po...rick-pocceschi

http://www.odmp.org/officer/19503-de...smith-phillips

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5677 users online. 317 members and 5360 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X