300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and a question...

First post here so hello to everyone. I'll get right to it. What was your families attitude toward you when you became a LEO? I guess I was niave in the way I thought mine would take it. My wife and kids have been 110% supportive. But wow, a lot of my extended family has practically disowned me. I've been told that I was worthless, an embarrassment to the family, cops do nothing but drive around, eat and flirt with women. Cops are cops because they do not want to work, etc, etc. Now, the surprising part is that none of them have ever been in trouble with the law (that I know of). I have a good family name and until now have been very supportive of our LEO's. Now I'm told told that cops are thugs and everyone only laughs at the bunch of want to be's..... Would you say that this is a normal reaction that is a consequence of fear....or is it truly what I fear....it's my family that's a bunch of thugs...LOL. OK....my venting is over......

My immeadiate family was extremely supportive. Others, not so supportive. It's who you come home safely to every night that counts. All the others, you can live without. Not every family member is going to approve of your career choice. It sounds like some family members have obviously not had good experiences with police officers.

I forgot to add, just wait until you socialize with all your friends........you'll find out which ones don't approve and do approve of your career choice. Then, it's time to adjust your friends and social situations.
    Last edited by flhtbill; 04-11-2011, 12:42 PM. Reason: Added second line.
    Obedience to Law is Liberty.

Comment

tcoll,

The issue may be that they are afraid of your new career prospect and are trying to talk you out of it in the only way that they can. If respect is big in your family then more than likely it will be the greatest area of attack. If you wanted to join the military I am sure that they could attack that in a negative light as well. My entire family had no idea (except the wife) that I was even going to the academy. When I got my badge pinned on is when most of the people around em found out that I was a cop. Hell, most of my friends still don't even know and I have been doing this job for a few years now.

Comment

tcoll, welcome and welcome to the family of LEOs. First off it is what you make of it. Second, if your family is that shallow then I feel for you, some people including my wife have no idea what it takes to so this job each and every day. I dont expect her to either but with that being said she is the most supportive person in the world and is behind me 100%. My extended family is very proud of me and have never made a negative comment in regards to my career decision. There will be people in your career who look down on you and say things that may be uneducated but int eh end you can go home knowing what this job takes and what you have done to help the people of your community. Good luck and stay safe.

Comment

Tcoll, keep your chin up.
          At the end of the day, it's what "YOU" want to do with your life, your extended family can go to hell.
          You could try sitting down with them, and giving them an example of what your average day looks like. Domestics, shots fired, assaults, bar fights, suicidal people, etc. Whether or not that improves their image on L.E. is a different story.

Good luck!

Comment

What does Grandma think?

Comment

Well, my family was supportive of the "idea" of me becoming a cop, but nobody seems to like it. I miss nearly every holiday. They ask me to tell stories at the holidays I do make it to and then they get mad because I tell them the interesting (violent or disgusting) ones. Even if your family does warm up, be prepared for that as well. Otherwise, like everyone else here has said, it's your immediate family which counts the most. Keep them at your objective and you'll be fine.
              "To know that you know what you know and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knowledge." - Unknown

Comment

Id say they just care a lot about you.. and realize that your risking your life.. and want to make it seem like it is a bad profession you have picked so you leave it..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5649 users online. 330 members and 5319 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X