300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taser - Use of force scenario

Just recently got certified to use the X26 Taser system. My department issued a booklet of about 20 pages with questions on use of force, maintenance, care, etc. with the X26, and there's a question in here that's got me pretty confused, can anyone help?

---
    You and your partner arrive at a Domestic Disturbance. You find two brothers arguing. The two are separated, the owner of the house is inside with your partner, and you are outside with the other brother.

There is no violence at this disturbance; however, both are intoxicated and have a record for violence.

While watching the other brother, he is being non-compliant and not following your directions. You order him to stay away from the door to the residence, he yells "**** HIM!", he runs past you, and is about to enter the residence. He is 14 feet away from you. You are too far to be hands on, use OC, or use a baton.

Would the use of a taser be appropriate at that moment?

-----

He's drunk, being non-compliant, could be arrested for obstructing(since he's ignoring lawful orders), I think I could articulate that I was afraid for my partners safety, and for the safety of the brother inside of the house.

I picked yes, I would use the X26 on him.

Think that's accurate/lawful?

Lawful?.....most likely.....

Within policy?....not here......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

There are still a few unknown variables but with a bit of assuming on my part no! What crime has been committed? Obstructing?!?! You order him not to enter his own residence (assuming he lives with his brother) and tase him because he ignores you.

Also, remember injuries from falls! You say he runs past you so he is in full flight and cannot brace himself so his face/head will take the full effect of his body in motion... He loses some teeth, fractures his nose, and now has "traumatic brain injury" (A very broad classification now).

I would say no! What does your department say?
      Last edited by GrayPatriot; 03-11-2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

yep...would be a good use of force here...

Comment

Department next door is "Any time pepper spray could be used". Which can be articulated in just about any situation where things start to get out-of-hand.

So would pepper spray had been justified in this instance? If so, then....

Comment

You're taser is already out? I can cover 14 feet faster than I can cross draw the taser.

The book here requires lethal cover to deploy the taser. That's the book so that's my book answer.

In reality he never ran past me or got between me and the door and I never lost sight of my partner.
            "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

In my Dept. which is very conservative in taser deployment (has to be active aggression), you would be good. But, you would have to articulate the known facts. History of violence, his actions, fear for the safety of your partner and the other involved party (his brother). The fact remains also, for all you know their is a weapon inside the residence that he could use against your partner or his brother (he is a known violent offender). He is intoxicated, and from experience you know that people that are under the influence make decisions they would not normal make sober.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                There are still a few unknown variables but with a bit of assuming on my part no! What crime has been committed? Obstructing?!?! You order him not to enter his own residence (assuming he lives with his brother) and tase him because he ignores you.

Also, remember injuries from falls! You say he runs past you so he is in full flight and cannot brace himself so his face/head will take the full effect of his body in motion... He loses some teeth, fractures his nose, and now has "traumatic brain injury" (A very broad classification now).

I would say no! What does your department say?
                My department said yes, it's a good use of force, I asked my Taser instructor about the question.
                He said the biggest factor there was that my partner was inside, and his safety was a concern. If the story was just "two brothers; verbal only" then no way. And I'd better be prepared to write a long report about the situation.

Comment

I would say taser's good. Drunk male, just in a domestic, running into a house with known (kitchen knives) and unknown (other knives, guns, etc?) weapons? Plus my partner's in there with the male's drunk brother? If I was inside, you had better zap him or go hands on ASAP, otherwise we are going to have problems (I've has people barge in on me talking with suspects/ victims and take a swing and it hasn't been pretty).
                  Originally posted by Ceridwen
                  Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Light him up. Your partner is inside with the other half. This guys is clearly not listening to you and is probably going to start something with either your partner or the other dude. Put it this way if I was inside and you DIDN'T deploy it or at least grab him and put him on the ground, we would have words after I do it.

Comment

On a side note: Never let you partner out of your sight on a call like that.

On any call for that matter....

To the Q: My policy has me lighting him up while issuing verbal commands to stop...blah blah blah.....

Our Taser is same level as OC.

Comment

Sounds like an aggressive action to me... TASER TASER TASER!
                        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Your SOPs are very different to ours in the UK. We have to show that there was 'violence or threat of violence of such severity that force is necessary' and can NOT use Taser as an aid merely for compliance. As ever though of course, all impact factors to be considered, so as long as you can justify it...

Comment

Yes! And Wyndham Earle. Just by your post, you'd still be good using it. By them being in some sort of argument, you know they're not exactly happy with each other. You know they both have a history of violence. I don't know how they swear over there (no offense) but by him saying "**** HIM!" and then running towards the house, I can articulate that it generally doesn't mean he's literally going to "**** him." (Hopefully) Even if he is going to "**** him," it's pry not going to be a willing recipient. Regardless, I say, "Thems is fightin' words" and he's not going in there for a tea party. Whether you're thinking about your partner and/OR the suspect, you're most certainly justified in making him feel some voltage.

I think that by saying that and running towards your partner and the dude he was just arguing with consists of a 'threat of violence of such severity that force is necessary'. If you didn't use force to stop him, the probability of someone getting more injured by the fight (or sexual assault ) than the use of the taser is great. (PS, watch the steps)
                            "I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement."
                            -Calvin Coolidge

"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unk

Comment

you are at a DOMESTIC....you are in control of the situation and have made verbal commands....some idiot is not listening to your commands......some idiot runs away from you....taser deployed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6340 users online. 345 members and 5995 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X