300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gang Officers need some advice.

I'm a pretty new officer, two years on the street. My old station most gang members were very upfront about their affiliation. I have recently moved to a new area and a youth gang problem is growing at a ridiculous rate. Problem is they want us to id these guys, but these younger guys are smarter than my old area (no signs/ tattoos/colors). When you talk to them they are not the proud type like I am used to dealing with. (AKA they do not want to say who they are with). I'm needing some help with what interview techniques and ways to ask who they are affiliated with so I can get some intel out of them. Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Join
    http://www.tgia.net/

Comment

I just finished up working gangs in a major city, but when I encountered hispanic gang members I found some were much more reluctant to admit their gang afilliation. So you have to use other things besides their "claiming memmbership" and be able to articulate why someone would not claim to be a gang member (to avoid detection by LE, avoid gang enhancments, improve ability to sell narco). Use things like: Frequents Gang Areas, Affiliates With Known Gang Members, Gang Attire, Arrested For Gang Crime, look for roll calls (grafitti and in their stupid gang notebooks they keep), Look for Photos, Use social networking media, the list is extensive. You just have to be confident in your questioning and call them out on them being little "B*tches" about it. I don't know how things work where you are at but we are given some lattitude when it comes to the language we use when talking to little wannabe thug retards...Hope this helps...PM if you want some better responses....
      "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        Thank you.

Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
        I just finished up working gangs in a major city, but when I encountered hispanic gang members I found some were much more reluctant to admit their gang afilliation. So you have to use other things besides their "claiming memmbership" and be able to articulate why someone would not claim to be a gang member (to avoid detection by LE, avoid gang enhancments, improve ability to sell narco). Use things like: Frequents Gang Areas, Affiliates With Known Gang Members, Gang Attire, Arrested For Gang Crime, look for roll calls (grafitti and in their stupid gang notebooks they keep), Look for Photos, Use social networking media, the list is extensive. You just have to be confident in your questioning and call them out on them being little "B*tches" about it. I don't know how things work where you are at but we are given some lattitude when it comes to the language we use when talking to little wannabe thug retards...Hope this helps...PM if you want some better responses....
        Thanks I will send you a PM tomorrow. For the most part this particular gang all lives at the same complex, but like I said they have no identifying marks.

Comment

Scuba...
          You say the bangers have "no identifying marks"...while it may not be obvious, there's something that made you take another look! Be observant, listen and be patient...they all have something in common. My guess is it won't take too long before you catch on to their drift, and when you do, it will pop out at you. Remember these little bangers aren't all that smart, and they crave and need the attention of being in a gang. Could be in the style of dress, something they do, or something they say that id's them as members. Good luck!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4615 users online. 231 members and 4384 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X