300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st foot chase

hey all. on my 3rd week of fto and had my first foot chase 2 nights ago after the subject crashed his car n bailed out, jumped a fence n ran through a field connected to school. my concern with all this is that after the subject was in custody and we were all bak together at the scene: i hadnt advised over primary of anything while running after this guy. luckily my supervisor was doing so behind me running through the field. my question is how do you guyz(veterens) train ur selves to do so when tunnel vision is kicking in and your just tryin to catch this guy. thanx much in advance.

It will come with time...and experience. Kind of like a pursuit...the first car drives the second calls it. At least someone was giving an update or a direction of flight. If you were by yourself...you need to broadcast DOF and location while you are chasing. It doesn't have to be a sentence..brief description of clothing, direction of flight and location. For instance...white male.. red sweatshirt..East on Grove toward Center. It's easier if you have a shoulder mic...yeah we will laugh at you huffin and puffin (sorry) but everyone's been there done it.

Good job.

Has your FTO gone over what happens if two bail at the same time? We already know which one we are both going after...we don't split up. Gotta go thru the what if's before it happens...then everyone is on the same page.

Are you having fun yet? This is the best job on earth...enjoy and be careful!
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 01-17-2011, 05:15 PM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Chasing people on foot? Man, you must be new. Remember that radio waves can move faster than you can.

Comment

Good job. Foot pursuits are dangerous,but deputyx2's advice is great! Be sure you clear your corners. Stay safe.
        No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
        -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Good job catching him. I am finished with FTO today but I was in your shoes about 4 weeks into my FTO period and got into a foot pursuit and ended up only finding ans catching the passenger. However, I was choking up on the radio when I was calling the DOF and and suspect's description while my FTO drove. My Sgt. said he was laughing his *** off. When deputy arrived on the scene, the first one looked at me and said, "You know what the difference is between a rookie and a veteran officer? A rookie gets on the radio and calls 10-31(Pursuit) and begins chasing. A veteran gets on the radio and states start me a rotation wrecker, the driver's bailed on foot heading (insert direction)."

Stay safe out there!
          ~Nobody wins....
          when everyone's losing~

Comment

agreed! radio waves are faster, but it just happend: he jumped the fence and 3 of us gave chase myself, my supervisor and someone elses ppo. it was only after we were able to go over it. imagine 3 fto's and 3 ppo's myself and the 2 other ppo's are all from the same academy class so we were all gun'ho for this one. as my 2 classmates were yelling n pulling out the other subjects from the car i was running past them to jump the fence. we've discussed our performance several times tryin to determine what we could have done differently. it was quite the experince for the 3 of us.

Comment

What did your FTO end up saying? Did he give you good pointers for the future?

I know some departments encourage chases, some don't and want you to hang by the car and wait for the cavalry. Unless of course it's a short chase. Here we have guys who will hold and stick with the car, and some will pick the driver and commence the drag race.

Comment

He reminded me that i have to transmit when im on foot to atleast let other units know where they should be heading or some what of a perimeter. Another thing he brought up to me today actually was; that we have to make sure everything is covered like the car and it's passengers if there are any. Like what deputy u gotta have some kind of plan even if it's a crappy plan: whos's gonna cover the car n who's gonna take off on foot after the driver.

I've only been on for 4 weeks and i feel like i've learned so much alrdy. Our FTO program is sort of a trial by fire program. They just throw us in the suck and teach as we go.

Comment

Biggest thing to remember* make sure you have a valid reason to chase them. My nice embarrassing story, second night of FTO go to a fight call. Breaks up as we arrive, however one person(who turned out to be not involved) took off running. Me with my 12 hrs of experience give chase. Only traffic I put on the radio was "Foot pursuit!" Caught the guy about a block away, turns out he had a warrant but was no way involved in the fight. Luckily I had a very, very patient FTO who taught me the finer points of radio use and location. Now I use that story on the guys I'm field training.

Comment

The first time I was in a foot pursuit (2nd week on the job) I had no clue where I was; I was chasing him through backyards and completely lost my sense of direction. All I was able to broadcast over radio was: "There's a guy... *huff*in front of me.... *huff huff* he's runnin'..."

I eventually caught him, but now I am much more cognizant of my surroundings and direction of travel.
                    The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

My very first day in uniform in a city that I didn't know dick about. I mean I didn't know ANYTHING! I'm with my FTO that I met less than an hour earlier and we have been away from the station for maybe all of 15 minutes. He slams on the brakes, makes a hard Uturn and says, "I've been looking for that dude for a month." Said something about a warrant, said something to dispatch and we were ***holes and elbows out of the car. BG starts running immediately. I'm running behind the FTO because I KNOW I don't know anything. Then my FTO hits the ground grabbing his ankle. I stop and he says to get the BG. I start running and jumping fences, going through yards, jumping more fences...you get the point. Finally I give the BG a good push to the ground and cuff him, walk him to the front yard of where ever we were. I radio dispatch and their first response is...."Who is this?!!" They don't even know my badge number!!! FTO radios up and dispatch wants to know my location for pickup. Good question, I have no idea. I say to BG, "where are we?" He just looks at me with total disbelief. I say to him, "Give me a break, I've been a cop for less than an hour!!!"

Amazing what happens in our first days, isn't it???
                      Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Originally posted by hilhil45 View Post
                        Biggest thing to remember* make sure you have a valid reason to chase them. My nice embarrassing story, second night of FTO go to a fight call. Breaks up as we arrive, however one person(who turned out to be not involved) took off running. Me with my 12 hrs of experience give chase. Only traffic I put on the radio was "Foot pursuit!" Caught the guy about a block away, turns out he had a warrant but was no way involved in the fight. Luckily I had a very, very patient FTO who taught me the finer points of radio use and location. Now I use that story on the guys I'm field training.
                        Not a LEO but this is a follow up question so I hope it's allowed. In your case, wouldn't the fact that he ran upon seeing the Police be probable cause to chase him. I'm not questioning what you said I just want to no why in that circumstance you don't have a valid reason to chase?

Comment

my first foot pursuit was in my, I believe, sixth week of FTO...we had a plainclothes officer sitting in the front of the Uhaul van and about 10 officers in the rear of the Uhaul...guy sold two crack rocks to the plainclothes officer; I had to jump out of the rear of the Uhaul and chase the guy who happened to turn down a dead end road...i tackled the guy and then sprayed him with some OC so he would give me his hands lol

all I put out over the radio was: "City, (badge #) FOOT PURSUIT!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hokie13 View Post
                            Not a LEO but this is a follow up question so I hope it's allowed. In your case, wouldn't the fact that he ran upon seeing the Police be probable cause to chase him. I'm not questioning what you said I just want to no why in that circumstance you don't have a valid reason to chase?
                            Running upon seeing the police, in and of itself, is not pc to detain and search. It's the totality of the circumstances involved that will give you the pc you need. You can chase if you want, but if you catch, detain, search and/or question you will have to articulate why you did so in the first place.

California v. Hodari D., 1991 (Seizures): http://www.law.wisc.edu/rcid/Resourc...20US%20621.htm
                            Running after a suspect is not a seizure unless there is an application of physical force or submission to an officer's "show of authority".
                            Last edited by Danny216; 01-21-2011, 07:15 PM.
                            The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

Originally posted by Hokie13 View Post
                              Kind of a gray area. I always would stress to my trainees that foot pursuits normally end in you tackling the suspect to the ground, or you stopping due to an injury to yourself. Either way, its probably going to end up in an injury (even minor) to somebody. In my story, if the guy I was chasing hadn't had a warrant, after I tackled him into the ground and put cuffs on him, I would then have had to uncuff him and let him go. You can chase someone( on foot) for any reason. However, once you use force to stop them, you better have a good reason as you are now detaining them and most likely injuring them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6702 users online. 393 members and 6309 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X