Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number one tip I always tell new guys, particularly the young ones.

"your authority is not up for question"

By getting verbally combative with people they are dealing alot of guys put across the subconscious message that there is some sort of competitive dynamic going on, that the position of who is going to determine the course of action in a particular situation is up for grabs.

Think if a bum was throwing those same insults at you out of uniform on the street, would you place any sort of value on their opinion, get emotional or let it shake you out of a calm demeanor?. Hell no, youd just chuckle and keep walking.

For sure there is a time and a place to get aggressive and flick a little back. but just like a good boxer doesnt let the opponents actions get him on the back foot and dictate the way he plays out a fight, never let a guy with an attitude dictate the tone of an interaction into a place where you don't act with professionalism, authority and a little dignity. YOU are responsible for being the leader that sets the emotion tone in your interactions, not anybody else.

Comment

Im respectful and composed, until challenged or threatened, then I revert to being a US Marine. It seems to work for me, although I catch flak from some of the guys in the squad room for "being a d*** to people", but Im ok with that. I dont insult people or anything, but I like to use the line: "Sir, this a one way conversation."
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

If I'm talking to a suspect and s/he wants to keep interrupting me, in a normal tone of voice, I'll tell them, (with the look of death in my eyes) "Why don't you keep your trap shut for a moment and I'll finish explaining this to you, sir/ma'am." It nearly always results in compliance.
        Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

I've never put a lot of stock in Gerbil Voodoo, but I try to not be a dick to people and it has worked out so far.

When I feel the urge to say something mean, I usually revert to the "Ear stare" for a moment and it unnerves people to the point where they become compliant, or escalate the situation.

(Ear stare is a technique developed in my TACP days to freak people out. when you are arguing with someone, wait for them to make a point, then stare directly at one of their ears, without blinking or saying anything. I don't know why, but it mentaly destroys most people in less than a minute. try it out on a friend, seriously)

M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

I use the Bruce Willis technique. I am soft spoken but at the same time give the confident " I'll kick yo ***" attitude. Works for me, I have yelled in 8 months once....once. I have always de-escalated the situation by being 100% calm giving the impression that I am calm for a good reason.

Comment

the greatest weapon you have is #1 your mind, #2 your mouth and#3: gun, which falls somewhere just a degree behind #2...

Your will get you into more fights...or less fights depending on how you use #1 and #2. I used to work with an officer who didn't know how to "talk" to people and often had many use of force reports to do, the less you have to fight the better off you will be in the long run because it will eventually take its toll on your body.

Comment

Originally posted by BCSD Frank View Post
                If I'm talking to a suspect and s/he wants to keep interrupting me, in a normal tone of voice, I'll tell them, (with the look of death in my eyes) "Why don't you keep your trap shut for a moment and I'll finish explaining this to you, sir/ma'am." It nearly always results in compliance.
                I'll stop talking and let them ramble on. Once they pause for breath I'll tell them to let me know when its my turn. That usually derails their little thought train and we're good for the rest of the time. If they interrupt me after its my turn, I remind them its my turn.

Anyway, like its been said there's a place and time for everything. I've been a comedian and I've been an arse. You'll learn when and where as you go.

Just remember be ready to transition at any time. I'm also a fan of "ask, tell, make." You ask them to do it. If they fail to comply you tell them to do it. If they fail again you make them do it. Sir, take your hands out of your pockets for me, please. Sir, get your hands out of your pockets now. Snatch.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Right on... I'm reading one of the verbal judo books now, and learning a lot.

It ties in with my overall philosophy of de-escalating things, whenever possible. The whole respect thing, even when you know the person in front of you is a walking, talking turd.
                  Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13108 users online. 528 members and 12580 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X