Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed for a Lateral going to a Big City Police Dept.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed for a Lateral going to a Big City Police Dept.

Hey,

I'm looking for advice on how to survive FTO at a bigger city, I've been a police officer for 2.5 years at a local university (10-20 officers), the last 10 months as detective. The city i'm going to is much larger (100+ officers) and busier. I am starting all over again and it seems to be sink or swim. Advice?

Thanks,

I agree. You're a rookie all over again, what i had to do.
    What University did you work at?

Comment

Get ready for people to be overly critical about your job performance. Be prepared to be considered as a "country bumpkin" by guys with less time on the job than you. It will pass in time when you start earning their respect. Just keep your mouth shut and do the job. I am going through exactly what you are.

Comment

I went through the same exact thing. I knew they wouldn't and shouldn't care about my past experiences. I wanted to learn police work their way, and made that clear to my fto. I just didn't speak unless spoken to, was courteous to everybody, and it worked out fine.

fto was a blast the second time around, it was more like having a partner in the car than being a trainee (once they see that you're ok).

good luck, bigger and busier is better IMO, you won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Investigator 26
          Keep your mouth shut and ears and eyes open. Don't talk about your past experience. Just do the job and let everyone think you are a genius. It really makes guys angry to have somone come in from another department and talk like they've been that done that and bought the t-shirt. Good luck to you.
          This is very true. Be humble, cops in big city's don't want to hear about your experience. You should be fine based on the fact that you're already thinking about this, rather than stomping in as a know it all big mouth. Good luck!

Comment

Good advise given already, but a 100 officer department isnt a big city.

Comment

Maybe it is down in his neck of the woods.
              We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

It sure would be in my neck of the woods. Great advice given. Good luck man
                www.darkwolfunderground.com/forum if you join you can see all the other good stuff on the forums. Do not enter if you are faint of heart-or don't like HARD training.... think.......strongman???

Comment

Originally posted by sotzo View Post
                  Good advise given already, but a 100 officer department isnt a big city.
                  He should come over to my dept. He will have seniority on 500+ Officers before he finishes probation.
                  Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Investigator 26
                    Keep your mouth shut and ears and eyes open. Don't talk about your past experience. Just do the job and let everyone think you are a genius. It really makes guys angry to have somone come in from another department and talk like they've been that done that and bought the t-shirt. Good luck to you.
                    Great advice. Thanks. Sometimes it can be easy to want to talk about what you've done, for me, just to pass time in the car with an fto, but I also understand it can definitely come across, as you have indicated. Thanks again.
                    Most people fail because they trade what they want MOST, for what they want at the MOMENT.

The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, WHO can know it?
                    -Jeremiah 17:9

Is it any surprise that cops don't trust anyone?

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. I've been on about 2 months. So far, its like having a partner in the car. We'll see how it goes when I go to the busier shifts. 100 officers is big in my state.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2646 users online. 138 members and 2508 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X