300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking to a class of 3 year olds

I will be speaking to a class of 3 year olds in the next few days about being a Police Officer...I'm a rookie (at policing and at talking to a class full of kids), so any advice on what to say/do/bring, and what not to do would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance

Keep in mind that they will have an attention span of about 5 seconds. Tell them police help people and the stuff on your belt helps you keep people safe. Don't run through parking lots, hold onto an adult's hand. Might be a little early for 911, but you might go over how to dial 911. Tell them not to be afraid of the police and that they can go to the police for help. Short sentences and basic concepts.

Comment

^ +1

I might add you can go over "stranger danger" and bring lots of stickers.

Comment

Say no to drugs

Comment

Wow...I'd rather be first throught the door everyday for a year than face a class of 3 year olds...

Your going to have to go w/ the flow. Sometimes you get a group of outgoing kids who have another question before you evn answered the first, sometimes you can get any of them to even nod yes or no.
          Keep it simple and quick, basic rules about safety, strangers, fire... Then let them take turns sitting in the car putting on the lights and sirens (Make sure the radio is turned OFF).
          "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
          but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

Wear a cape and fly away at the end of the presentation!

Comment

Originally posted by Protect-N-Serve View Post
              Wear a cape and fly away at the end of the presentation!
              +1 - most DEFINITELY!

I actually laughed out loud at that post - and that doesn't happen very often!

Comment

bring some candy

Comment

I was in the same boat about a year ago. They liked playing with my hat a lot (just make sure nobody has lice first!).

I spent most of my time emphasizing that police are there to help them and we are the good guys. The teacher was more a pain than the kids, she kept asking me about stuff on my belt until all that was left was my gun, baton, and OC and then she asked about them! I just said "This is what I use to keep bad people from hurting good people, like you guys." I'm sure someone with more experience has a better answer, but it was all I could come up with. Which then lead to "What do you do if you find a gun." and of course one kid pipes up with "I shoot the bad guys with it!"; "whoa! no no no no!" followed by the "run and tell an adult" talk.

Bring some kind of toys or trinkets.

Comment

It doesn't hurt to ask the teacher if you are allowed to bring a snack. If so, a box or two of cookies are always well received by the kids.

Comment

Talking to the local kiddos is one of my favorite things! I recommend you stop at the local library and ask the librarian to help find you an age appropriate kids book...Then read it to the kids. Kids LOVE being read to!

Try to get your hands on some police type stickers (badges, etc.) or other police type promotional items.

Search online for police coloring books and print off a couple of different pages...Then copy them and distribute. The kids will usually color them and send them to you as a nice thank you or they will keep them and hang them up in their classroom, etc.

Talk slowly and answer their questions as best as you can. Don't spend a lot of time standing up...Get down on their level (sit, squat, etc.) and look them in the eyes when you talk to them. Kids are more trusting of adults that look them in the eyes.

Ask each of them what their name is and tell them yours...I ALWAYS be sure to give each kid a high-five or handshake.

+1 on letting the kids play with the lights and siren. Just remember to let EACH kid turn on the lights and the siren. They won't forget if you aren't fair!

That's all I can think of right now...Good luck and just have fun! You'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisCJUS View Post
                        I will be speaking to a class of 3 year olds in the next few days about being a Police Officer...I'm a rookie (at policing and at talking to a class full of kids), so any advice on what to say/do/bring, and what not to do would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance
                        How did it go?
                        The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4474 users online. 273 members and 4201 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X