X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reils49
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2006

First encounter

Well Ive been on the road since June, and had my first encounter with someone I know personally. I was just finishing up some paperwork before I went off duty and I hear one of our units call out prisoner transport mileage on the radio. So when he pulls into the station, I prop open the door and walk out to see if my fellow Trooper needs a hand. He doesnt, but his prisoner is a guy who I know well. We used to be friends, but had a falling out 2 years ago and havent spoken since. I still know his family, they're good people, but he's a turd.

It was just very awkward. He was asking me how my little boy was doing, and I asked him how his little girls were. It was civil, but very wierd. Hes cuffed to a bench, and Im in uniform... not to mention the guys at work thinking Im talking with ther prisoner.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.
  • HEDP
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by reils49
    Well Ive been on the road since June, and had my first encounter with someone I know personally. I was just finishing up some paperwork before I went off duty and I hear one of our units call out prisoner transport mileage on the radio. So when he pulls into the station, I prop open the door and walk out to see if my fellow Trooper needs a hand. He doesnt, but his prisoner is a guy who I know well. We used to be friends, but had a falling out 2 years ago and havent spoken since. I still know his family, they're good people, but he's a turd.

It was just very awkward. He was asking me how my little boy was doing, and I asked him how his little girls were. It was civil, but very wierd. Hes cuffed to a bench, and Im in uniform... not to mention the guys at work thinking Im talking with ther prisoner.

Which you were...........

That would be awkward though.

It would be worse if it was someone like your mom......ouch.

Comment

• Blizzination

Been there, done that.

It seems like any shame they may feel gets amplified times 10 when that happens.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Senior Veteran
        • Aug 2007

I was working the intake unit many years back. Got on duty, opened the cells to take orientation to the chow hall, and who should walk out of cell, but ---------the brother of a girl I dated for a couple years.

Our familes had been friends for years and my mother actually had stood up with their mother and father at their wedding.

Yea awkward. I knew he was in jail-------just didn't know he was coming to my joint.
        I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• TexasAggieOfc
          God Bless Texas
          • May 2007

Hauled my uncle to jail several months ago... Failed to appear in court on two DWIs and a Unlwaful Carrying of a Weapon Charge. Part of it, especially when you patrol your hometown.

I can't even tell you how many people I've stopped on traffic, "Hey man we went to high school together!"
          "Yes we did, now sign here, it's not a plea of guilty but it is a promise to appear before the court on or before October 30 at 9 a.m.!"
          sigpic
          Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

• reils49
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2006

Believe me, I wasn't "smokin and jokin" with this guy. It was just like....that awkward kind of conversation to keep things going smooth. Not friendly, but just businesslike. I couldnt very well ignore the guy, and tick him off. That wouldnt have helped the situation.
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
              Senior Veteran
              • Aug 2007

You just need to be professional when it happens, and if you work in an area where you are well known----------it will happen frequently.

Nothing wrong with small talk------.

If "the guys" tell you they have never had the same experience then it's because they aren't from the area.
              I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• eman2k5
                Deputy
                • Aug 2005

Hey, its life. I used to talk alot to the I/M's, I was trying to figure out what happened to some of the people.....you know an entire life without a ticket and then locked up.

I never seen anything wrong with talking to I/M's but, like it was said keep it professional.
                sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

• 10-97UPD
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by reils49
                  Believe me, I wasn't "smokin and jokin" with this guy. It was just like....that awkward kind of conversation to keep things going smooth. Not friendly, but just businesslike. I couldnt very well ignore the guy, and tick him off. That wouldnt have helped the situation.
                  You handled it fine. We all have friends that we have grown apart from and it is awkward no matter where you run into them. I know cop vs prisoner is obvious in its own class but what can you do. Im sure it isnt going to be the last time you run into this cat on that level..just be prepared for the next time you book/arrest him or anyone else you may know. Im sure it was more awkward for him than it was for you anyway.
                  And the road becomes my bride.

Comment

• ice_tre
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc
                    Hauled my uncle to jail several months ago... Failed to appear in court on two DWIs and a Unlwaful Carrying of a Weapon Charge. Part of it, especially when you patrol your hometown.
                    My former agency was in my home town and I ran into this problem a lot. More than I would like to admit. For example, I arrest my own cousin on a warrant and there were a couple nights that "someone" in my family would get intoxicated and then next thing I hear over the radio is a 10-16 (non-physical) at xyz address. I never responded, but the other officer and the S.O. would respond.

I'm happy now I work for a different agency that is over 30 miles away and rarely see someone from my home town.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19284 users online. 51 members and 19233 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...