300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first day solo!

Well, I know this thread has been done before, I just kinda wanted to throw it out there and share.

Today was my first day solo. I was being shadowed, so basically any time I did a traffic stop someone came to back me up, but I handled everything on my own. I really didn't feel nervous at all, or have the jitters. I got a few traffic stops in, wrote some tickets, had one arrest, made some community contacts...

All in all, a fairly good day. It was really quiet though, I didn't get sent to a single call the whole day.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring!

I just can't stop thinking, I have the coolest job on the planet...

Originally posted by Presence 1* View Post
    Well, I know this thread has been done before, I just kinda wanted to throw it out there and share.

Today was my first day solo. I was being shadowed, so basically any time I did a traffic stop someone came to back me up, but I handled everything on my own. I really didn't feel nervous at all, or have the jitters. I got a few traffic stops in, wrote some tickets, had one arrest, made some community contacts...

All in all, a fairly good day. It was really quiet though, I didn't get sent to a single call the whole day.

Honey if you keep smiling ALL the time no one will take you serious

JK Congratulations!
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Yeppers you do....this is where the fun begins.......enjoy.

The day picks us!!! You never know what lies ahead.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Congrats Presence! A great feeling, isn't it? Just don't do what I did. I wrecked the patrol car on my first day solo.
        "To know that you know what you know and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knowledge." - Unknown

Comment

Sometimes a day where nothing happens and you can run some traffic is a welcome break from the grind.

Remember this piece of advice...any day that starts with a domestic is not going to be a good day.
          Originally posted by K40
          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Congrats and may that feeling last for a long time...

Comment

Congratulations, you survived your first test. Many more to come. Some will be scary, depressing, funny, discouraging, and rewarding. At times you'll question if the job is worth the time and effort. You've entered a fish bowl and everyone will be watching. Keep your head screwed on tight at all times. You (we) get hurt when you drift from your training. And if you are doing the job as described, you will get hurt. Enjoy the ride. That's the best I can tell you after my 25 years of service. And yes, you will reach your retirement date. If you don't screw up.
              The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

When you get to that first call and you look over to your right and dont see the FTO there, you know that you gotta deal with it on your own. For me I have found that a day that I dont cut myself shaving is going to be a good day. The more cuts I have on my face after a shave, the worse its gonna be. When the guys see me come into the station and I have a napkin dabbing a bleeding cut they all roll their eyes and wonder whats gonna happen that night. I also rarely have a night that I dont cut myself...its just...weird.

Comment

I also feel like this is the coolest job on the planet. As a newer officer myself, let me tell you this from experience: Take as much advise you can from every officer you work with, and use the culmination of it to form great decision-making skills that are fair and get the job done reasonably. Don't let the pessimism of officers who don't love the job anymore bring you down! Be street smart, and so what if being "extra cautious" looks awkward to others. You are in charge of whether you go home every night. May God look after you.

Go get 'em!

Comment

Glad to hear you made it on your own! I am fairly new as well and still remember my first day on my own and how quite the car was! I'll give you the advise that I was given....You'll learn more in your first week alone then you did in the whole FTO program...reason being you have to stand completely behind your choices and not always will there be someone there to help you work it out....I am glad to hear that your fellow officers mad sure to be there for you also. The guys I work with are great to help out because we have a ton of new deputies. Hardcharger08 is a right always take as much information from every officer you can. You might not always agree but the more knowledge you have to work with the better to make your own choice. There are a few new guys with us that already think they know everything and are all cocky...now when they get in a situation where they don't know exactly how to handle it the guys refuse to give them advise since they never took any to begin with.

Hope you don't lose that upbeat great personality! I still love my job and can't believe I got on the road a year ago!
                    " the only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Smart is when you believe only half of what you hear. Brilliant is when you know which half to believe." -Orben's Current Comedy

Comment

thanks guys.

I appreciate the advice and the thoughts. I'm open to everyone's advice - I have so much to learn.

And, it is true that not havin the FTO in the seat next to you will really make you take a big jump in the learning process. It is quite different to make all the decisions on your own, than to turn to the person in the other seat and say, What do you think about this one?

I am officially out of shadow phase as of today. My teammates will continue to back me, because they are good like that, but I'm out from under the protective FTO umbrella now, so to speak.

Comment

Sink or swim. There is some comfort to the new guy in knowing his FTO is going to try to keep him from screwing up too bad. So when they aren't there, you're going to learn quick, fast and in a hurry how to handle things. One can even say that this is where the real job starts...and I agree.

Presence, listen to that instinct. When it tells you something is wrong...something is wrong. LISTEN to it. It will save your life.
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I arrested a person who was sitting on a bench reading a newspaper on my first day solo. When I wrote the report my Sgt. got a good laugh, and asked me was the guy reading the Monday morning newspaper and it was actually Sunday. He asked me this because my report stated I observed a suspicious ****** person reading a newspaper. LOl it was funny though.
                          My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie2006 View Post
                            I arrested a person who was sitting on a bench reading a newspaper on my first day solo. When I wrote the report my Sgt. got a good laugh, and asked me was the guy reading the Monday morning newspaper and it was actually Sunday. He asked me this because my report stated I observed a suspicious ****** person reading a newspaper. LOl it was funny though.
                            I don't get it.

Comment

Me neither....

Originally posted by CurlyQ View Post
                              I don't get it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4090 users online. 258 members and 3832 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X