300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody Gloves Cleaning Procedure

I recently had my Hatch kevlar lined gloves exposed to quite a bit of blood. What is the proper way to clean these gloves? I don't want to throw them away, but I don't want to catch Hep or AIDS either.

Toss them......if they got a lot of blood on them, you are not going to be able to disinfect them completely without destroying them in the process.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Thanks. Thats what I figured.

Comment

I agree toss the gloves one good product I strongly suggest all cops carry are the germicide sani-wipes. I use them to clean my gear at least once a week and they will kill the hiv virus and hep along with everything else. If you cant find them in the store just raid the local hospital they will surely have them

Comment

From a Medic and BBP Instructor Trainer, I concur. TOSS THEM....

For future reference, it is recommended that you get some XXL latex medical gloves, and wear them over your leather, kevlar,whatever gloves, (if you can) as that is really the only way to protect the gloves.

Once Leather, Kevlar, or other "cut resistant" gloves, get saturated and permeated with Blood or bodily fluids, the only way to clean and disinfect them is with a bleach solution which will damage or ruin the leather or other protective properties.

Comment

I thought I was going to get cut but he turned the knife on himself. Normally, I would have had latex gloves on. I appreciate everyone's input and I will dispose of my gloves promptly.

Comment

Originally posted by southilcop1982 View Post
              I recently had my Hatch kevlar lined gloves exposed to quite a bit of blood. What is the proper way to clean these gloves? I don't want to throw them away, but I don't want to catch Hep or AIDS either.
              One suggestion is to check with your department policy. Some agencies may cover the cost to replace damaged equipment as long as it happened while on duty.

Comment

Step one... create fire.

Step two... throw gloves into fire.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

I STILL see cops with gloves use them all day long and then pull them off with their teeth... Just amazing.

Toss and burn and buy bulk.
                  Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

gloves

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                    I STILL see cops with gloves use them all day long and then pull them off with their teeth... Just amazing.

THAT IS GROSS, nasty, disgusting, etc. YUCK.

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post

i certainly hope your speaking of latex gloves, good patrol gloves are waaay too expensive to just toss.
                      In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

The hospital has a pink soap, I do not know what its called, but it kills everything it comes in contact with. Take the gloves there and wash them inside and out two or three times. Then let them dry for two or three days and wear your bak up pair. I used the stuff all the time to wash cuffs, gloves and other equipment. The Docs said it would work. The gloves wont last long if you have to do this alot.

I would recomend changing to latex prior to going wrist deep in somebody elses blood next time. Leave the Hatch gloves in the car, assuming this was a medical and not a fight.
                        It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

How much is a lot?

We have a spray tuburculocidal disinfectant. I'ld clean them and dry them.

HIV can't survive long at all outside the human body in dried blood, chances of contracting aids thusly is just about zero. Hep B can last longer, up to near 12 hours, but it's not easily transmitted in that form either. Dried blood can contain some other viruses as well, but to contract them ... they need to get into your blood stream. Simple contact will not do the trick.

I've seen guys walk around airplane crash sites and later throw like new shoes / boots in the fire ... yet they'll walk through all sorts of stuff on the side of the interstate, dead animals included, wipe them off, and wear the same shoes or boots through the office or home ... or in my car.

My boots have been in several crash sites, they come clean.

If some minor staining don't bother you, spray lightly with good tuburculocidal disinfectant, let it air dry, spray again and wipe down, and then leave them someplace for a few days to thoroughly dry. Treat leather with a good cleaner and preservative to restore the oils and make them flexible again.

If you have an open cut on any part of your body that could contact the gloves while wet with blood, wait until that's no longer possible.
                          Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6329 users online. 350 members and 5979 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X