300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• must read books for rookies

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some reading material that they have found helpful throughout their career, or possible something they wished they had read earlier on. no specific subject matter in mind just anything relevant to the leo field, tactics to career survival, traffic stops the whole nine.

Penal and Traffic code manual.

I will tell you that I've been wanting to buy the book Lost Wings, good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Wings-Tru.../dp/0595384692

Comment

the penal and traffic codes are a daily carry in the duty bag as well as the "blue book" quick reference guide. but ill check out the other.

Comment

Anything from Caliber Press.

"On Killing" and "On Combat" by Lt Col (R) Dave Grossman
        Send me.

Comment

I like Puff the Magic Dragon, but it always makes my girlfriend cry when Jackie Piper leaves, leaving Puff all alone, making him a flying wussy.

Comment

These 3 books are the size of college text books and are worth their weight in gold.

I re-read sections of these books from time to time because there is so much information you can't just read it like a nromal book.
            I recomend these to all my wookies.

http://www.policeonebooks.com/the-co...sberg-set.html
            Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

The Gift of Fear - Gavin de Becker
              Verbal Judo - George Thompson
              Force Under Pressure - Laurence Blum
              Essentials of the Reid Technique - J Buckley

You're going to get a ton of recommendations for "Warrior mindset books" like "On Killing" and "Book of Five Rings" stuff. I've read all of those, and they're fine for what they are. They don't take the place of actual training, though, and other than getting an idea of the theories behind how you train I haven't seen how they are that helpful. Learning to read people for signs of impending violence or flight, detect deception, and deal with the mind-boggling cruelty and tradgedy that you will constantly witness is infinitely more important than some "one sword does one thing, two swords do four things" classic-that-you'll-die-if-you-don't-read book.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

ok i've read "on killing" "on combat" "the gift of fear" "defensive living" Dr. thompson taught gerbil voodoo to my dept. but yes i know reading doesn't replace hands on training im more looking to hone skills or look at possible alternatives to tactics. ill definitely check out the calibre trilogy and you can never read too many mindset books in my opinion. great idea keep em comin.

Comment

http://emotionalsurvival.com/about.htm

"Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement"

The title could use some work. Read On killing and such, but this book was a little different. Explains more the life style and change in personality you can expect from a 25 year plus career in LE. Very good read
                  "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

Comment

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence. (no kidding, it's a marathon, not a sprint)
                    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Forgot to mention in my last post that I'm reading Emotional Survival now, it was the parting gift from our academy staff.

Comment

Read Emotional Survival. It is a great book for beginners. I didn't believe I would become somewhat cynical but after a year I read the book again and can see that what it holds is the truth. Regardless of how ugly it really is.

Comment

blood lessons by remsburg
                          numerous stories and insight from cops who have survived deadly incidents, have taken lives, and lessons from when cops have died. it's a must read imo. really lets you know the mindsight you have to have every day, knowing that no matter what, you won't lose.

Comment

Leadership And Training For The Fight by Paul Howe is a must read.
                            Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

MY FTO tossed me a ragged copy of The Onion Field..... (but that was a few years ago)

Good Book.....
                              I may be short, fat and stupid...... But I can still taser you....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5885 users online. 318 members and 5567 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X