Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just spent 1000 dollars on my gear for the lapd academy!!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just spent 1000 dollars on my gear for the lapd academy!!!

well, yesterday i had my orientation and i had to buy 1000 dollars worth of gear and that is not including what i will spend on my alterations, lettering and running shoes. it is exciting but i would of loved the courtesy of knowing that i would of needed this money three month or two before the academy rather than a few weeks. I am very excited.

Originally posted by frankthetank View Post
    1000 dollars worth of gea.
    Can you list what a $1000 worth of gear is?

Comment

check ur pm

Comment

Thats about right....you will be dropping another 1-3K when you graduate for the REST of the equipment/uniforms you will need once you hit the street......
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

wow thanks for the warning. when did you graduate?

Comment

nvm just viewed profile. sorry

Comment

Originally posted by frankthetank View Post
              wow thanks for the warning. when did you graduate?
              I was sitting in the LASD academy 20 years ago......graduated March 1989.....
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

WTF? I had to buy everything because I work at a poor small village, but I don't know of any department around here that doesn't supply absolutely everything to FT employees.

That bites man, but then again, you are going to be working for LAPD, so congrats for that!
                Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
                  WTF? I had to buy everything because I work at a poor small village, but I don't know of any department around here that doesn't supply absolutely everything to FT employees.

That bites man, but then again, you are going to be working for LAPD, so congrats for that!
                  they supply the MINIMUM here.....and once you go through those uniforms (or tear them ect) its your dime to replace them.....same with pretty much all of the rest of your equipment.....flashlights, posse box, war bags, boots, ammo, BUG, ect ect ect ect

They will replace the leather Sam Browne, but most wear nylon here, which is on your dime......

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                    they supply the MINIMUM here.....and once you go through those uniforms (or tear them ect) its your dime to replace them.....same with pretty much all of the rest of your equipment.....flashlights, posse box, war bags, boots, ammo, BUG, ect ect ect ect

They will replace the leather Sam Browne, but most wear nylon here, which is on your dime......
                    Is California a non-union state?

I'm not wanting to argue the validity of labor unions, but I'm starting to think that this is the norm here because many of the departments are union and negotiate uniform allowances/initial issue as a benefit during contract time.
                    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post

Wow, no uniform allowance at all? Has that ever been brought up in contract talks? I guess we are pretty fortunate on what my department gives each officer every year.

Comment

Congrats.

Although thats nothing. A NYPD recruit can end up spending around 4k in the academy alone for useless crap.
                        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

we have i believe a 950 yearly allowance for uniforms, but i am not sworn yet. this gear is essential for the academy alone.

Comment

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
                            Wow, no uniform allowance at all? Has that ever been brought up in contract talks? I guess we are pretty fortunate on what my department gives each officer every year.
                            Yes, LAPD has a yearly uniform allowance. Usually paid in July, and once the entry level employee is off probation.

One year, I went into a uniform shop and spent the exact amount of the check. The staff asked if they might take my photo. I can tell you from my days of conducting weekly inspections - no LAPD cop ever seemed to spend their uniform checks on uniforms/equipment.

They usually viewed those uniform checks as stash money.
                            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                              Yes, LAPD has a yearly uniform allowance. Usually paid in July, and once the entry level employee is off probation.

One year, I went into a uniform shop and spent the exact amount of the check. The staff asked if they might take my photo. I can tell you from my days of conducting weekly inspections - no LAPD cop ever seemed to spend their uniform checks on uniforms/equipment.

They usually viewed those uniform checks as stash money.
                              My allowance is 1100/year. This year I will be writing off ~2000 in uniform/gear/boots/etc...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6019 users online. 340 members and 5679 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X