Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just spent 1000 dollars on my gear for the lapd academy!!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Well i guess in Kalifornia they dont get the same benifits as those that live in the USA. Quit worrying about your uniform expenses and worry about where your about to work lol
    sigpic

    No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky IV (1985)

    Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Lawenforcer72 View Post
      Well i guess in Kalifornia they dont get the same benifits as those that live in the USA. Quit worrying about your uniform expenses and worry about where your about to work lol
      I'm sitting at about 100K for this year with only 3-1/2 years on... I think I'm okay with Kalifornia. I had no problem paying back the money I used for extra equipment. Also... with many smaller departments facing hiring freezes or even layoffs, ours is still recruiting.
      Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by LE2BE View Post
        I'm sitting at about 100K for this year with only 3-1/2 years on... I think I'm okay with Kalifornia. I had no problem paying back the money I used for extra equipment. Also... with many smaller departments facing hiring freezes or even layoffs, ours is still recruiting.
        Same here!

        Besides, most of the 'big ticket' items are issued, or owned by the agency anyway.......
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

        "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

        "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
          Kell Light


          Ah the memories!
          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

          Comment


          • #50
            I was fortionate and was supplied with everything. I dont know how you guys/gals who have to buy your gear do it. I have only bought extra cuffs, flashlights, dutybag, clipboards etc. Nothing heavy. I am looking into getting my own radio, the ones at the station are getting beat and who knows when they will be replaced??

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by STATECOPPER View Post
              I was fortionate and was supplied with everything. I dont know how you guys/gals who have to buy your gear do it. I have only bought extra cuffs, flashlights, dutybag, clipboards etc. Nothing heavy. I am looking into getting my own radio, the ones at the station are getting beat and who knows when they will be replaced??
              How many mechanics don't have to buy their own tools? I figure its something like being a specialist in your field. Sure, you could get by getting the same thing as everyone else, but their a lot equipment items that are tailored to peoples likes and dislikes.

              Radios... I work for one of the few divisions that issue Officers radios to keep. We carry the latest and greatest Motorola XDS 5000 (I think that is it). It is rumored to cost between $3000-$5000 each... I would hate to have to pay for my own.
              Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

              Comment


              • #52
                Ya I guess the personally issued radios is the new thing. I just read the training order (ok I'm working the desk w3 I got bored and decided that I'd actually read the e-learning this DP).

                As for buying your own equipment I slowly bought new stuff after probation. After a few years I just replaced my leather gear and bought a new gun (new duty holster, off duty holster, magazine pouches magazines and such) not to mention a couple new uniforms, a new flashlight, new boots, a new jacket, a new war bag, new under armor, new brief case thing to keep reports in, and some other stuff. I am looking forward to the tax refund this year

                Its all about preference, some guys keep the same stuff they get issued their entire career. I personally like to keep my stuff looking good so I buy a couple uniforms every six months and upgrade my leather gear. I also like things the Dept doesn't issue (a .45 glock, hidden snap leather gear etc). Don't think of it as I spent $1000 on my job, think of it as an investment into your profession. A LAPD officer is a true professional and as such it requires personal investment outside of the basic requirements of the job.

                But keep in mind in a few years it will seem like nothing. I'm clearing over 100g's this year and I am still a little short of that first hash mark, and I'm not an OT whore either.
                Last edited by bigcitypolice06; 01-06-2009, 06:43 AM.
                "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
                  As for buying your own equipment I slowly bought new stuff after probation. After a few years I just replaced my leather gear and bought a new gun (new duty holster, off duty holster, magazine pouches magazines and such) not to mention a couple new uniforms, a new flashlight, new boots, a new jacket, a new war bag, new under armor, new brief case thing to keep reports in, and some other stuff. I am looking forward to the tax refund this year

                  Its all about preference, some guys keep the same stuff they get issued their entire career. I personally like to keep my stuff looking good so I buy a couple uniforms every six months and upgrade my leather gear. I also like things the Dept doesn't issue (a .45 glock, hidden snap leather gear etc)
                  Anything that gets ruined gets replaced. This includes gunbelt, holster, cuffcase, oc holder, baton holder, etc. Anything that was originally issued. Uniforms/boots/jackets- turn in your dirty stuff and get new. Just go see the quartermaster, doesnt cost me a cent. Sounds like they figure your gear into your salary. Guess I pay for mine through my taxes, lol.

                  As for the gun we are issued a glock 45 gap. And we cant use anything other than that.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    We get our leather gear and the like replaced as well, however its the same crap that broke in the first place because its made by the lowest bidder. So I and many other officers I know choose to upgrade to higher quality items. We get a uniform check every year so that usually covers most of it.

                    Uniforms are a different story all together. We get 2 pants and 2 long sleeve shirts both 100% Wool. In southern california long sleeve wool uniforms are heat stroke waiting to happen in July. So we buy our own short sleeves.
                    "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
                      We get our leather gear and the like replaced as well, however its the same crap that broke in the first place because its made by the lowest bidder. So I and many other officers I know choose to upgrade to higher quality items. We get a uniform check every year so that usually covers most of it.

                      Uniforms are a different story all together. We get 2 pants and 2 long sleeve shirts both 100% Wool. In southern california long sleeve wool uniforms are heat stroke waiting to happen in July. So we buy our own short sleeves.
                      Our leather is good I believe its safariland. Mine has held up over the years, just had to replace my oc holder(worn from the seatbelt). We recently went to the 45gap so the holster is new too.
                      WOOL? Holy crap batman! I cant believe that. And only 2 uniforms? We get 5 shirts/pants. We get free drycleaning, which is the lowest bidder. On occaision it comes back missing buttons. Nothing worse than changing your shirt over(collar ornaments,name plate,service bar etc) and then finding your top button is missing!!!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by LE2BE View Post
                        I'm sitting at about 100K for this year with only 3-1/2 years on... I think I'm okay with Kalifornia. I had no problem paying back the money I used for extra equipment. Also... with many smaller departments facing hiring freezes or even layoffs, ours is still recruiting.
                        Ours still recruits too... How much does a 2 story 4 bedroom 2 bathroom go for in cali? bet a lot more than in the O-H-I-O. Im sure Cali is a fun state but ive always just heard negatives.
                        sigpic

                        No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that. I don't know, I don't know.
                        Rocky Balboa
                        Rocky IV (1985)

                        Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Uncle Sugar gives me all my equipment on the first day, the big ticket items I must return one day, the rest are mine after a year. I also have a clothing allotment I get quarterly of $100.00 that was increased this year to $200.00 this is all written into federal law. In no way does it cover what needs replacing each year so it is out of pocket, I have 50 bucks that goes into a “uniform account” each pay day, by the end of the year the two cover what ever I need and usually have some left over for the next year.
                          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I'm surprised. I thought LAPD would put up the $$ to get you started. I start the academy in two weeks and the department I'm working for fronted the $$ for 3 class B uniforms, 2 PT shirts, shorts, and sweats, my vest, sam brown and all my leather gear, pair of coreframs (SP?), and all additional equipment I'll need when I complete the academy. Plus I get my uniform allowance in full once I graduate. The only thing I had to purchase was my war bag, shoes, swim trunks and garmet bag.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              i bought all my duty gear except vest, but i was issued clothing and the class A rig.

                              the vest doesnt fit, bit tight but its better than nothing, the guy hired with me had to buy his own since the dept didnt have one that fit him, and had no more money in the budget for a 700 buck vest
                              In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by frankthetank View Post
                                well, yesterday i had my orientation and i had to buy 1000 dollars worth of gear and that is not including what i will spend on my alterations, lettering and running shoes. it is exciting but i would of loved the courtesy of knowing that i would of needed this money three month or two before the academy rather than a few weeks. I am very excited.
                                What was the $1000 worth of gear you had to buy?

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6035 users online. 344 members and 5691 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X