Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just spent 1000 dollars on my gear for the lapd academy!!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by towncop View Post
    Way to show your age t150.
    Well, ... ... I noticed you knew what it was!

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Ops, forgot tie, tie tack, and 3 turtleneck shirts,,, also ballistic vest

Comment

Most of what you spent should be tax deductible... that won't help in the short term, but you should get it back in a year. 'Sides... you're getting full pay right off the bat, so unless you have some outstanding debt, paying off your initial expenses shouldn't be too bad. Like another poster said, just don't go off and buy a new car (at least one person in your class will do it).

Comment

hahaha... thanks lapd4me

Comment

I had to buy the majority of stuff at my previous job, on $400 a year. At least it was in an account, so not taxed. And they didn't mind us buying "seconds" on the uniforms from a hole in the wall uniform store.

Now, I have no allowance, but almost everything is provided. I am responsible for:

Boots
            Socks, underwear, undershirts
            BUG, if desired
            Patrol Rifle, if desired, until I have the seniority to get an issued one
            Patrol Bag (I consider it an essential)

That's about it. Anything else I want, it's up to me. But honestly, you can do just fine. You get three lights, two clipboards, a 5-in-1 coat, pretty much everything you need to do the job. It's just more fun with some goodies added. That was the cool thing about the allowance that I miss. I bought Oakleys one year to spend it up.
            If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
              I was always amazed by the lack of information, shared with recruits, prior to the start date of the academy.

I used to address recruits (and their famililes) the week before they started their academy. I was always amazed at the ones who would approach me because of the name of the unit I worked (Employee Assistance Unit - EAU) and ask if I would help them find a place to live. Many were from out of state or way out of county. EAU did not do that kind of "assistance." I would stare at these kids and ask, "You're starting the academy in six days, you live in _____, and you have no place to live, yet?"

Part of the problem was last minute notifications of the start date. I've heard stories of calls the Friday before the Monday the class started. But I agree, the department could, and should, do a better job of letting new recruits know what awaits them.

Before I retired, I sent an e-mail with many thoughts on the process and how it might be improved, with the head of Personnel Group. He never responded.

I'm sure that one of their poster-boy/girl, fair-haired, little to no-street-street, Baker-to-Vegas running sycophants will one day find my suggestions tucked away in an old desk drawer, submit the ideas as their own and be rewarded with even more goodies, while I maintain my undisputed title as the department's most-bitter former employee!

Hey Keith...

Your definitely right about the lack of notice. I was called two weeks prior to my start date, but I know of a few people that were called the day of orientation. In my case, they asked if I wanted to start in the next class (2 wks) or if I wanted to wait one more class. I'm sure like most people were, I was so excited to finally be done with the process that I jumped at the first chance to start.

I know it does not specifically say in the application that you need to spend $700-$1000 for gear, but calling recruitment, or spending 1 minute to ask any Officer would have enlightened him about the money he had to spend. Its not exactly a secret.... although they could spell it out a little better. Besides... maybe they can apply some of that $5000 signing bonus that we didn't get offered when we signed up.

I guess we could start another thread.... but to add on people not doing enough research into the dept they are signing their life to. Times were probably different when you signed up.... but I was pretty surprised to see so many people that were out of shape in my class. Seriously... people that couldn't do 1 situp at the first PFQ I was nothing special, but I did spend about 8 months of training at the gym, running, ect... before I even stepped one foot into Wilshire station to take my first written exam. I'll give you an example...
              Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

Frankthetank....

Good luck in the academy....
                Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                  Congrats.

Although thats nothing. A NYPD recruit can end up spending around 4k in the academy alone for useless crap.
                  I'm up to some where around 2,500. But I think is money that's well spent for a career.

Only things we are issued in the academy that we don't have to pay for is.
                  Second chance vest IIIA+
                  Cap device
                  riot helmet
                  pepper spray
                  Service pistol
                  "All our terrorism gear"
                  patrol guide
                  I believe that's it.
                  Last edited by John2008; 12-08-2008, 11:01 AM.
                  "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

I'm a new recruit getting ready for the Sheriff's academy, and I've been having the same issue. I was given a $1250 uniform allowance check, which I initially thought would be plenty. When a few people warned me that I would spend twice that I couldn't believe it...but I have already used up that money and will likely spend a bit over $2,000 when I have purchased everything I need, including some extras required for the academy training. I had to purchase everything on my own, nothing is issued. The only exception is the body armor, which the department pays about $400 for. However, I found that I still needed to add about $100 to that to cover the cost (and that was the least expensive one I could find).

Anyway, although I'm really straining financially at the moment, I do think that it's all going to be worth it. I've wanted to work in law enforcement since high school, for nearly 10 years now. It's my dream job and although I do agree with others that it seems like departments should pay to cover ALL the required equipment, I think in a few months the salary (which is not bad at all!) and the job will make up for my losses up front.

Comment

bought all my gear

I started with my department about a year ago. When i was offfered the position I was told I would be responsible for buying all my gear and uniforms. I was so excited to be hired that it didnt register how much i would be spending. I didnt even buy the top notch gear and i still spent $2000, I mean i even had to buy my service weapon. I was just wondering if that is normal procedure.
                      Courage is the discovery that you may not win and trying when you know you can lose.

Comment

After reading a thread like this I've really come to appreciate my department. We don't have to purchase anything, but our service weapon.

With the academy included my department has easily invested over $5,000 (low ball number) in me, and that's not even mentioning the time and man power included in the hirig process.
                        Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Comment

Originally posted by StephDakel View Post
                          After reading a thread like this I've really come to appreciate my department. We don't have to purchase anything, but our service weapon.

LOL We don't have to purchase anything. PD covers everything from uniform to weapons to belt to shirt stays, etc. That's the norm around here. You've got rookies that go high and to the right wanting to have every bell and whistle there is, but.... when my boots needed replacing, I did a P.O. and passed it up the chain. Within two weeks, I had new boots. I've even gotten boxes of ammo for practice.
                          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                            LOL We don't have to purchase anything. PD covers everything from uniform to weapons to belt to shirt stays, etc. That's the norm around here. You've got rookies that go high and to the right wanting to have every bell and whistle there is, but.... when my boots needed replacing, I did a P.O. and passed it up the chain. Within two weeks, I had new boots. I've even gotten boxes of ammo for practice.
                            Same here. I thought Reserves were the only ones that had to pay for their equipment... Making a cop pay for their own equipment is like having people who work in offices buy their own desk, chair, pens, pencils and paper...

sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by frankthetank View Post
                              well, yesterday i had my orientation and i had to buy 1000 dollars worth of gear and that is not including what i will spend on my alterations, lettering and running shoes. it is exciting but i would of loved the courtesy of knowing that i would of needed this money three month or two before the academy rather than a few weeks. I am very excited.
                              I'm right there with you. I just spent almost a thousand and I will still have to buy my own ballistic vest and side-arm. Add that to the $3,000 cost of moving cross-country and I've got some serious expenses. Luckily for (or intelligently of) me, I have been saving for the last year and a half for this so it is really not so bad. Wish me luck guys, I start the academy in the coming week.

Comment

My department covered everything initially, uniforms, duty weapon, citation holder. I had to buy boots, personal flashlights, patrol rifle. We get an allowance each year. Alot of guys, myself included, use it as stash money. I do not wait til the allowance comes in to buy gear, if I need it, I buy it, so I figure I use the money throughout the year and use the allowance for what I need. By the way, I have never been told to replace a uniform item.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6518 users online. 379 members and 6139 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X