Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just spent 1000 dollars on my gear for the lapd academy!!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiremanMike View Post
    Is California a non-union state?

I'm not wanting to argue the validity of labor unions, but I'm starting to think that this is the norm here because many of the departments are union and negotiate uniform allowances/initial issue as a benefit during contract time.
    Yup....we have a VERY strong union at the Deputy level...ALADS......

I should have added that we do get an uniform allowance every year....1K....ends up being around 700 after the taxes come out of it up front......

That uniform allowance has been the same for the last 20 or so years that I can think of......and the county hints during every contract negotiation that they want to take it away.......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Agree with Kieth on the uniform allowances being "stash money" for most of the guys I worked with at my last department. We got $1,000 a year and by looking at some of the guys, you'd never be able to tell we got that money to replace worn, used, torn items.
      Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Why should LAPD be required to supply all of your equipment, uniforms, ect.. when you are entering the academy? You aren't even a sworn Officer yet. Also, the LAPD credit union gives recruits a no interest loan to pay for the equipment, so its not like you can't afford it. My suggestion... don't go out and buy an Escalade, BMW or Hummer like some of classmates will inevitably do and you should have no problem paying for your equipment.

Just so people do not get the wrong idea and start badmouthing our dept like usual.

Here's some of the things that are supplied by the dept upon entering the academy.
        -full sam brown, including a set of peerless cuffs, PR24, Pepper spray, ASP, holster (take away 2000).
        -Firearm
        -(2) Class A uniforms a month before graduation
        - Second Chance Level II vest
        -Cover (bus driver hat)
        - Cheapy war bag

Here's what you need to buy.
        -PT sweats, and t-shirts with your name on it. They suggest minimum three, but you can probably get away with two sets.
        -Smurf uniforms... named for their baby blue color. They suggest three, I suggest two
        - Tie pins, buttons, ties.
        - Bates academy shoes
        - Patrol Boots
        - Wrestling shoes
        - Running shoes (no brainer)
        - Class ball caps
        - War bags
        - Mouth piece, Jock strap for the guys
        - Shooting bag, with cleaning supplies and safety equipment (ears, glasses)

I probably forgot a few things, but I don't see how the Academy is required to supply that basic stuff. The LAPD is physical, so that stuff is needed. Even if you join the gym, you still need shoes and workout gear

I personally do not like how we get pretaxed as income on our yearly uniform allowance, but that is a different argument.

My thought here is... if you aren't looking at the big picture and how insignificant the $700 is that you have to spend when you compare to a life long career, then you might not be ready for the endeavor you are about in embark on.
        Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

When I worked for a sheriff's office, our uniform allowance was givin to us in the first paycheck of the year. So, of course guys would use it to pay off their debt after Christmas and not for their uniforms. Some of the uniforms were pretty worn out. The department I work for now has a uniform allowance, but it is in an account, instead of actual money. We go to the uniform store and pick up what we need. Then the store deducts the amount from our account. We are allowed to carry over the balance every year. So some officers have over $4,000 in their account.

Comment

the problem with the charges le2be is the notification. hell, ive spent more then just the 1k because of suits and running shoes, my issue was just that i had a few weeks to come up with that money and as for the loan it is not interest free, it is somewhere around 5.5 percent and after 6 months it goes to 15 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by frankthetank View Post
              the problem with the charges le2be is the notification. hell, ive spent more then just the 1k because of suits and running shoes, my issue was just that i had a few weeks to come up with that money and as for the loan it is not interest free, it is somewhere around 5.5 percent and after 6 months it goes to 15 percent.
              Once upon a time, LAPRAAC (for the rest of the world, the Los Angeles Police Revolver and Athletic Club - the private, officer-owned org who shares the Academy grounds and runs the cafe, sports programs, uniform, gun and gear store) assisted recruits by allowing them to order all those needed items and allowing them to pay, over time. Do they not still do that?
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

our minimum payment had to be 500 but we need to pay the balance off in 14days. only a few recruits seemed to not have the money but overall they were very helpful and im glad that this money is going back into the pd.

Comment

I LOVE THE FED......United States Park Police ....... before/during the academy I paid for .. My socks, my underwear, and thats it... .

After FLETC,,,, I paid for my socks, my underwear ,, thats it...

Food and lodging at FLETC.. Paid for... plane trip to and from paid for.

Basic issue of uniforms:
                  4 long sleeve shirts
                  4 short sleeve shirts
                  3 summer pants
                  3 winter pants
                  1 pair black shoes,
                  1 pair black boots.
                  1 Dress Blouse
                  1 Uniform coat
                  1 uniform hat
                  1 winter hat
                  1 Traffic vest
                  1 rain coat 3/4 length (this has since been replaced and they issue a rain jacket and pants.
                  Duty belt, with 2 cuff cases, OC case, ASP and case, PR holder, Magazine pouches, level 2 holster, radio case..

In addition to that we were issued a Duty firearm w/3 mags, a PR-24, an ASP, 2 Pair handcuffs, pepper spray...and portable radio...
                  a small flashlight with pouch

Ohh... I did purchase a mag lite, and streamlight and a citation holder....

I think my out of pocket costs for gear the first year was less than $200.. for a good light, ticket book, and gear bag...
                  Last edited by 2971511; 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Ohh, Riot helmet and stick ....

I got bike trained a few years after FLETC, they issued:

1 pair Bike Shorts.
                    3 bike uniform shirts
                    1 bike Helmet

Comment

I provided my ...... black socks, underwear, two sets of khakis, haircuts, watch, swimsuit, running shoes, and a Kell Light, and ummmmm .......

.... Oh yeah, my time, talent, and effort.

Seems that was about it.

$1000 now and several more later? OUCH!
                      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

well, yesterday i had my orientation and i had to buy 1000 dollars worth of gear and that is not including what i will spend on my alterations, lettering and running shoes. it is exciting but i would of loved the courtesy of knowing that i would of needed this money three month or two before the academy rather than a few weeks. I am very excited.
                        The Dept. doesn't provide you will everything you need for the academy and the road? I know we all buy the cool gadgets that the PD doesn't buy, but seems like a PD should outfit you with all your neccessities out of their pocket. I didn't know departments did that sort of thing.
                        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
                          I provided my ...... black socks, underwear, two sets of khakis, haircuts, watch, swimsuit, running shoes, and a Kell Light, and ummmmm .......

.... Oh yeah, my time, talent, and effort.

Seems that was about it.

$1000 now and several more later? OUCH!
                          Way to show your age t150.
                          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

the problem with the charges le2be is the notification.
                            I was always amazed by the lack of information, shared with recruits, prior to the start date of the academy.

I used to address recruits (and their famililes) the week before they started their academy. I was always amazed at the ones who would approach me because of the name of the unit I worked (Employee Assistance Unit - EAU) and ask if I would help them find a place to live. Many were from out of state or way out of county. EAU did not do that kind of "assistance." I would stare at these kids and ask, "You're starting the academy in six days, you live in _____, and you have no place to live, yet?"

Part of the problem was last minute notifications of the start date. I've heard stories of calls the Friday before the Monday the class started. But I agree, the department could, and should, do a better job of letting new recruits know what awaits them.

Before I retired, I sent an e-mail with many thoughts on the process and how it might be improved, with the head of Personnel Group. He never responded.

I'm sure that one of their poster-boy/girl, fair-haired, little to no-street-street, Baker-to-Vegas running sycophants will one day find my suggestions tucked away in an old desk drawer, submit the ideas as their own and be rewarded with even more goodies, while I maintain my undisputed title as the department's most-bitter former employee!
                            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Congrats on being hired!

IMHO, it was money well spent. MPDC supplies everything, thankfully, but the few toys I did purchase(i.e. off-duty holster, extra pair of handcuffs) I was excited about.

FYI, always purchase the best gear possible, not the name, but the quality. If not, you'll have to keep replacing it.

Comment

Originally posted by LE2BE View Post
                                Why should LAPD be required to supply all of your equipment, uniforms, ect.. when you are entering the academy? You aren't even a sworn Officer yet. Also, the LAPD credit union gives recruits a no interest loan to pay for the equipment, so its not like you can't afford it. My suggestion... don't go out and buy an Escalade, BMW or Hummer like some of classmates will inevitably do and you should have no problem paying for your equipment.

Just so people do not get the wrong idea and start badmouthing our dept like usual.

Here's some of the things that are supplied by the dept upon entering the academy.
                                -full sam brown, including a set of peerless cuffs, PR24, Pepper spray, ASP, holster (take away 2000).
                                -Firearm
                                -(2) Class A uniforms a month before graduation
                                - Second Chance Level II vest
                                -Cover (bus driver hat)
                                - Cheapy war bag

Here's what you need to buy.
                                -PT sweats, and t-shirts with your name on it. They suggest minimum three, but you can probably get away with two sets.
                                -Smurf uniforms... named for their baby blue color. They suggest three, I suggest two
                                - Tie pins, buttons, ties.
                                - Bates academy shoes
                                - Patrol Boots
                                - Wrestling shoes
                                - Running shoes (no brainer)
                                - Class ball caps
                                - War bags
                                - Mouth piece, Jock strap for the guys
                                - Shooting bag, with cleaning supplies and safety equipment (ears, glasses)

I probably forgot a few things, but I don't see how the Academy is required to supply that basic stuff. The LAPD is physical, so that stuff is needed. Even if you join the gym, you still need shoes and workout gear

I personally do not like how we get pretaxed as income on our yearly uniform allowance, but that is a different argument.

My thought here is... if you aren't looking at the big picture and how insignificant the $700 is that you have to spend when you compare to a life long career, then you might not be ready for the endeavor you are about in embark on.
                                Whoa there guy, relax, I wasn't saying anything on LAPD. In my personal opinion though, everything that is required of a recruit should be purchased for them, that's the way it is here, and all I was saying is that it suprised me that it was different there.
                                Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6263 users online. 386 members and 5877 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X