300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 to the replies.

I actually had to use shackles to handcuff one guy because his wrists were so large! Don't know what I would have done if we didn't have those available...maybe carry some zip ties?
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." --Dave Grossman

Comment

Depends on how big "big" is, but leg shackles are sometimes called into handcuff service on the 400lb-ers. Use a zip tie between two links to shorten the chain.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

In relation to handcuffs, I was told if were going to buy a second pair of cuffs, get some called "Big Daddy's". Supposedly they open quite a bit bigger than normal and close like 30% smaller. Anyone know the brand and model?

Mike

Comment

First "big" one I ever arrested sticks out in my mind. He was revoked and as soon as dispatch gave me back the information, other Officers started walking all over themselves trying to tell me something...couldn't hear a single one of them since they were all yapping at one time. Come to find out, the driver had recently been released on a murder charge. When I told him to step out of the vehicle, I didn't know when that man was going to stop standing up. He was HUGE. All I could think was, "Holy crap, don't let him kill me."
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I would ask your jail guys about the larger size cuffs.... or even the flex cuffs... i have a few sets of them in the front of the car.. they work great for bigger peeps.. and i also have a set of the larger cuffs hanging on the spotlight.....
            I may be short, fat and stupid...... But I can still taser you....

Comment

Originally posted by BluThruNThru View Post
              Any advice on how to do this better next time?

By the way I belive he dropped the compliant because he realized that I had my dash cam on and the holding area he was in had full audio and video.
              Sounds like you did it just fine.
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Either use two sets of cuffs linked together or try leg shackles. People will always complain. No one wants to go to jail, really. Expect flak, complaints, gripes and moaning and complaining. Guess what, you wouldn't need to be there if they weren't criminal. They set it up to be this way. Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepdog110 View Post
                  Use a pen instead. Using your finger to check for fit increases the risk that you'll be injured. The last thing you want to have happen is your finger getting broken by a guy who decided that he didn't want to go to jail after all.
                  That's pretty hardcore!

Comment

Nope, it's safety. We were all used to dipping a finger between the wrist and 'cuff to check fit, and apparently people are fingers broken that way. No thanks. I check the fit now by putting them on, then wiggling them before double-locking. If they just slide over that bone on the outside of the wrist (the ulna maybe?) then they are a good fit.

Of course, this goes by the wayside if he/she is a kicking, struggling idiot. In that case, just get the 'cuffs on.

Comment

it wont be your last!

It sounds like you did everything you could. We all were handcuffed by our fellow recruits while we were in the academy. They're not comfortable, but the crooks gotta deal with it.

Oh yeah, in my arrest reports I always add the following, "I placed handcuffs on John Doe. I checked for tightness and double-locked the handcuffs."

I do this so if a complaint ever arises, you documented your proper use of the handcuffs and complaint is sure to get thrown out with out some stupid IA investigation.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5390 users online. 331 members and 5059 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X