300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arresting "Big" guys

I am fairly new on the road and the other week I arrested a rather large fella for driving on a suspended. After he was released he filed a complaint saying I tore his rotator cup by handcuffing him even though I used two pair of hand cuffs (one hinged linked and one chain linked) linked together to apprehend him. Any advice on how to do this better next time?

By the way I belive he dropped the compliant because he realized that I had my dash cam on and the holding area he was in had full audio and video.

I wouldn't worry about it much, unless you have to tug his arms to get him cuffed. The rotator cuff does not tear that easily -- there has to be a sudden, sharp movement, or else a lot of stress over a long period of time (or so my doctor said).
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

We can protect ourselves against such complaints by using good technique and documenting it. Use your dash camera. Verbalize what you're doing so it's on the audio track. Tell the subject you're double-cuffing to avoid stress on his shoulders. Double-lock the cuffs so they won't tighten up. Check the fit by inserting a finger tip between shackle and wrist. Describe what you did in the arrest report.
      Make sure this incident is fully documented. Make an archival copy of the dash cam and jail video. Just because this guy dropped his complaint doesn't mean a lawyer won't talk him into changing his mind.

Comment

They all like to b--ch. It's part of the job. It'll happen again.

Comment

Next time tell him the cuffs are not made for comfort and they will stretch a little....You have a long career ahead of you, so that will not be your first complaint. If they do complain of pain, document it and any force you had to use. You used 2 sets of cuffs, there is not too much more you could have done.

Comment

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
            Next time tell him the cuffs are not made for comfort and they will stretch a little....
            If you are being recorded, definitely do NOT say anything like that. Just be serious and concerned.

This sounds like an indicent where he complained long after the event, because he got a "bright" idea later.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
              We can protect ourselves against such complaints by using good technique and documenting it. Use your dash camera. Verbalize what you're doing so it's on the audio track. Tell the subject you're double-cuffing to avoid stress on his shoulders. Double-lock the cuffs so they won't tighten up. Check the fit by inserting a finger tip between shackle and wrist. Describe what you did in the arrest report.
              Make sure this incident is fully documented. Make an archival copy of the dash cam and jail video. Just because this guy dropped his complaint doesn't mean a lawyer won't talk him into changing his mind.
              1+

Document, document, and record. Another thing I have done in the past use flex cuffs. Depending on the type of flex cuffs you use they will give you a little more room. I have only done it one time, but I arrested a guy once for DUS and he was in the 350 to 400 pound range. I wouldn't recommend it normally, but I had to cuff him in the front and put him in the front of the cruiser. He wouldn't fit in the back seat and we had no other transport vehicles. You not going to be able to stop people from filing false complains and making things up. That's why we have cameras in the car, and it's also when credibility comes into play.
              Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

I use the line all the time "The cuffs are new, they stretch out once you wear them for awhile..." but we aren't in the 21st century yet and don't have fancy videos or audio recorders.

Comment

Originally posted by saxyjc View Post
                  I use the line all the time "The cuffs are new, they stretch out once you wear them for awhile..." but we aren't in the 21st century yet and don't have fancy videos or audio recorders.
                  We can't afford them. I think Only Hwy has them.
                  "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                    Check the fit by inserting a finger tip between shackle and wrist.
                    Use a pen instead. Using your finger to check for fit increases the risk that you'll be injured. The last thing you want to have happen is your finger getting broken by a guy who decided that he didn't want to go to jail after all.
                    "To know that you know what you know and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knowledge." - Unknown

Comment

While I fully agree with DAL's reply, keep in mind that the cuffs aren't designed for comfort, they're designed to restrain. Double locking has two basic functions. It keeps the cuffs from tightening up on the wrists, while immobilizing the hands. Follow, as a matter of habit, all the replies you recieved regarding documenting the arrest and field search.

Comment

Thnx

Thanks to everybody who posted replies (or that will in the future). I really appreciate the feedback. I belive the best part of our job is the brotherhood we have with each other.

Comment

Hey
                          The most important thing is that your going home safe. Even in the best of circumstances people will always complain. Everyone's advice on documenting everything is great but do not sacrifice your tactics and training out of fear of complaints. In 2008 people are looking for easy pay outs, depending on the city your in the city will give him a lump sum and tell him to go away. I wish you continued success in your young career. Geo
                          WWW.viking comabtives.com
                          WWW.icetraining.us
                          WWW.centerlinegym.com

Comment

its been said and ill say it again, if you stay a LEO you can count on complaints or even a suit but if you do your job right dont worrie about it we all get em
                            In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by C-15 View Post
                              its been said and ill say it again, if you stay a LEO you can count on complaints or even a suit but if you do your job right dont worrie about it we all get em
                              +1,000

The camera can be the best thing known to an officer.
                              Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3601 users online. 261 members and 3340 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X