Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Academy worries.

Hello,

Well, I just completed week 1 of my 13 week WI police academy. Well, it's suppose to be 13 weeks, but the instructor increased it to 15 weeks (I guess for extra scenario practice).

Anyway, for some odd reason, I am still super nervous about this. I'm not exactly sure why. I think my biggest fear is the physical aspect of it (running). While I've been trying to get myself into the best shape as possible, I'm just not at the top of my class. I completed the 1.5 mile run, but I was exhausted at the end of it. I try to get to the gym as much as possible, but I go to class from 7:30a.m. - 4 pm. everyday. By the time I get home, it's about 5. I then always have homework that I need to do, or things I have to read. So, by the time I'm done, it's almost too late to really go do anything.

So, here is my question: How do I manage to make it through the next 14 weeks of this academy successfully? I did go to the gym yesterday and today, and did run a good 1.5-2 miles.

Lastly, has anyone else felt the way that I do? I really want to do this, and I really want to become a police officer, but I'm finding the police academy time contraints really hard. In addition, I'm finding it so hard to stay awake while sitting in class for 8 hours non-stop listening to the same instructor for the most part. Does the Academy get a lot better, or is this going to be the LONGEST 14 weeks of my entire life?

Thanks much!

P.s. Do you guys recommend eating a really light lunch prior to running and DAAT? We tend to run after lunch. Is there anything really good I should consume that would help me out?

i'm sure we all went through that feeling early on in the academy, i know i did. just remember why your there: because you want to be a police officer. think about all the months you probably waited to get the offer of employment where ever it is your at.

i disliked the academy when i was in it, but i look back at it fondly now (i only graduated 3 months ago.) you'll meet a lot of friends there that you'll probably keep in touch with your whole career.

as far as the running goes, that's very odd that you guys run after lunch. we always did our PT first thing in the morning. i dont have any food recommendations for ya, but eat light for sure.

Comment

I'm in the same spot as far as being one week down. we do our PT at 0530 until 0700 and then class from 0745-1700. light lunches would be recommended for PT but don't starve yourself. there are food types that you can eat that will not interfere with your workout. I guess i am lucky, we have about 15 different instructor for our classes. I hear that it gets better the farther you get and your that much closer to the badge. Stay strong.

Comment

Listen up!!!!! Throughout history, thousands of people have gone through this. Keep this motto in mind: If they can make it, so can I. It is just that simple. Does it suck, sure. Is it fun, no. It is just one more requirement in life to get to where you want to be. Trust me, if you think the academy is a bi$%h, wait till FTO. Or better yet, wait until your first criminal trial. This job is tough, but it is also extremely fun.

Comment

If you passed the minimum requirement to get in you'll be just fine. Your cardio endurance will increase rapidly every time you do p.t. There were guys/girls who hated running and to be quite honest were slow. Although they never quit and tried their best. If you do the same relax because they are looking for people who try their best not be olympic runners.

Eat a small bowl of oatmeal or a piece of fruit on your way to the academy and pack a lunch or snack the minute your done with your workouts.

The academy was difficult and long for me but you have to just keep looking at the light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

I hated every minute of the academy. But it does go rather fast. I have been out for three years and it seems like it was last week that I was standing at attention getting gigged for not having two matching pens. I also made some great friends, in fact 4 of my groomsman in my wedding were academy class mates. Many of the things they do to you in the academy dont make sense now but will later on. Keep in mind that the academy will get better, the instructors will ease up on you and the P/T will get easier as you become conditioned. All of the beatings, getting smoked for minor infractions will also change as the emphasis will switch from breaking you down to actually teaching you something. Just be glad that you are only in for 15 weeks, mine was 28!!

Comment

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
              Lastly, has anyone else felt the way that I do? I really want to do this, and I really want to become a police officer, but I'm finding the police academy time contraints really hard. In addition, I'm finding it so hard to stay awake while sitting in class for 8 hours non-stop listening to the same instructor for the most part. Does the Academy get a lot better, or is this going to be the LONGEST 14 weeks of my entire life?
              Like I mentioned in past conversations with you, there WILL be times where you want to rip your hair out. Sitting in a classroom for 8 hours a day while the same instructor goes over court procedure and other boring stuff is... well... boring. It'll get better. Look at the schedule they gave you (they should have given you something that outlines what will be taught when). You'll get into more interesting stuff as time comes.

As for now, keep it up. Study, do your work, and get through it. Time will start to move faster, especially when you get into DAAT, EVO, and Firearms training.
              sigpic

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. During boot camp, there were times when we had classes all day and night, especially when you've got a company commander (DI) watching you at every second. I find it helpful that you take a bottle of water with you, and keep drinking it throughout class. Even if it means getting up to use the bathroom every hour, do it. Getting up to use the bathroom will definetely keep your blood flowing. Holding your pee in will keep your mind in. Peeing your pants will be...well just out right embarassing.

Comment

I hear ya. I'm in my 4th week of the Academy here in Nebraska. We have to stay here at the facility and quite honestly it reminds me of the maximum security prison I used to work at. When all is said and done though, it'll be worth the while. Keep your chin up, learn what you can, and be the best cop you can be.
                  Last edited by Sheepdog110; 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM.
                  "To know that you know what you know and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knowledge." - Unknown

Comment

as Mesa stated
                    Keep this motto in mind: If they can make it, so can I.
                    "Relax"

Comment

I'm on week 19 of 28 and It sucks, we are done with all the high liability training. Now all we do is classroom or PT, talk about boring.
                      I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

everyday I dream of becoming a police officer, and to me getting hired and going to the academy is a dream come true! Dosen't matter if your running 5-10 miles a day, or studying 5 more hours or have kids at home that are buggin when you are relaxing. The fact is that you MADE it. All my cop friends tell me that being a cop is a privilege and they can't believe that they get paid to do such an awesome job! Maybe you think I am naive for being so excited, but when you work 40+ hrs for a unrewarding retail job trying to make ends meet and you would understand. Just being in the academy and doing pt all day while getting yelled at is 50 times better than being stuck in retail! lol
                        5 weeks in TSU.

Comment

Just hang in there if you have gotten past week one you have completed a major hurdle in completing the academy. I think most people are the same way when they start the academy. You will learn that the runs are only as bad as you make them in your head. Just remember that your there because someone thought you would make a great officer and they sent you there to get better and stronger. It will get better just stick with it, be perfect at what your good at and try hard on your weaknesses and it will all fall together. Come December you will realize it was the best 14 weeks you ever spent bettering yourself.

Comment

I apologize I didn't realize I should not have posted in this topic, I am not LE...yet!
                            5 weeks in TSU.

Comment

I HATED my academy while I was going through it. Now I look back fondly...great memories and made some great friends. I have also come to have a healty respect for my instructors and have even made a couple good friends from them as well. Me and my fellow cadets counted down the days until graduation and made plans to get together and burn our uniforms. Now...I hold onto them to reminde me of where I started this career. I left a good paying job...but a job that I hated....to be a cop. I busted my hump for 22 weeks and I made it. I am a cop and I love my job. If not for those weeks in the academy I wouldn't be here...a COP.

Now everytime a new academy class begins I am asked to return to my old building and address the new class of cadets. To explain to them what it will take to succeed, what to expect while attending, tips on studying, what to expect after they graduate and what the job of being a police officer really means. It is an opportunity I really look forward to 4 times a year. I see a little bit of me in each of them...the nerves, the stress, the frustration and the anticipation. I tell them with hard work, inner strength and determination they will dress like me one day.

Tips- as for PT do a little 5 days a week....not 2-3 hrs a day....just 30-45 mins a day; study everyday...and break it up...study the current lesson and review previous lessons- i.e start studying for your final and State exam NOW -cramming will not work; as for your question about lunch...stay away from turkey and fried foods...grilled items and salads are good (I know not real manly but effective)....and eat light during the day...you can have larger meals at night.

Hope this helps. If you have anyother questions you can PM me. It doesn't seem like it now but this is an exciting time in your life. Stay focused on your goal- becoming a COP!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3079 users online. 147 members and 2932 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X