Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Spray

Hey guys,

We're going to be OC'd in the Academy fairly soon, and I was wondering what you all suggest to use afterwards to alleviate some of the sting. I saw that on Galls.com they sell wipes, but I wasn't sure if those were effective or not? Any thoughts would be great!

Also, once sprayed, how do you manage to go and fight with someone and or hand cuff someone? I'm not sure what we'll have to do, but I'm so afraid that I'll go down, LOL.

Thanks!

It hurts but you will still be able to function. Having a fan and something to flush it will help a lot. Other than that it's time that really helps. Good luck and don't sweat it.

Comment

I've been sprayed twice. Stay away from all the gimicks. I used baby shampoo (you can rub it into your eyes as well) to help wash off the excess, but the only thing that helps is time.

Comment

You will hear a lot a crap advise.

While in the high stress environment of completing a practical, or scenario, you will do fine. After that, the uncomfortable part will set in.

Keep it simple. You need to get the stuff off you. Do not panic.

When I was sprayed, they had a hose that you could clean yourself off with.

I held my eyes open with my fingers, and washed them completly out.

At the end of the day,(as soon as possible) shower with cold water. The spray will reactivate, and will burn other sensitive parts of your body. But you will have the cold water, and soap, so it won't last long.

The key is getting it off as soon as possible. If they supply you with enough water, flush, flush, flush.

If this was the worst life could through at you, I would do it every day.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
          WHEN YOU TAKE A SHOWER AFTERWARDS DO NOT LET THE WATER THAT RINSES OUT YOUR HAIR RUN DOWN ONTO YOUR FACE OR INTO YOUR ..... MOST IMPORTANT REGION or you will be very very very very sorry.
          Agreed 1000+
          I recommend leaning forward while washing hair first and rinsing long and well. To reiterate an earlier post, take the water as cold as you can stand. Warm water will only stimulate the pores to open and allow further contamination. It's a mistake I'll not forget making after thinking I had it all washed off.

Comment

I did not know until i hit the streets and saw it done......the fire dept uses ketchup here.

Comment

1. dry paper towel blot face...do not wipe to remove excess
              2. rinse quickly
              3. dawn dish soap (cuts oil) rub on face and rinse off again, dry with paper towel do not wipe
              4. creamers from dunkin donuts for eyes
              5. sit in the shade do not keep rinsing with water it will reactivate the OC
              6. blink and force your eyes to open your tears will flush your eyes out

remember to breathe...it is horrible but you will not die....you can function after being sprayed. The only thing that makes it better is time. Look forward to taser it's much easier. Stay safe

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
                how about be a man (woman) and suck it up. remember, your all thinking of these crazy ideas, but think about this. you spray your perp, handcuff him behind his back and throw him in your crusier, they live. so will you....
                Best advice I have seen on here.
                For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Holy Cow......I can't beleive what some of you would recommend. As an avid lover of the Habanero pepper, I also have a lot of respect for it. MADCHIKEN gave you the best advice there is. BABY SHAMPOO WITH ALOT OF WATER and air (battery operated fans help), but fanning yourself with a piece of cardboard or facing into the wind work fine. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS, but I would pay attention to the warnings of the private sectors in a later shower. Use a pond or pool if you can.

Comment

I gave up on the water plan quite quickly! I washed everything off with J&J baby shampoo and then went outside and sat in the wind! (Not going to lie, it was still a pain in the a.s.s. to drive home that day!)

<-- Not a fan of OC AT ALL!!!!!!
                    "If it's predictable, it's preventable"

Comment

It was the worst day of pain in my entire life... I went totally into a panic which is why the entire time sucked so bad... Rinse your eyes out after you use your fingers to open the up. Then fan them out for a good 30-45 minutes. After that it is bearable but will still sting.

Comment

At my academy they gave us 4 large industrial fans about 6 different chairs to sit in, 15 spray bottles filled with water, and a barrel full of ice. I spend about 5 minutes in front of the fans spraying my face before I just walked outside and stuck my face in the snow. Was out there about 15 minutes and was fine. I know not much snow out there now but that works also if its available. Remember to keep your eyes open. Dont shut your eyes till you feel better. Let the air get to your eyes. Otherwise I agree with juicesnn4e2, take it like a man/woman.
                        What Is A Veteran?
                        A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Worst day of the academy by far.

Simple, rinse rinse and use paper towels, nothing more nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
                            Also, once sprayed, how do you manage to go and fight with someone and or hand cuff someone? I'm not sure what we'll have to do, but I'm so afraid that I'll go down, LOL.
                            After getting sprayed we had to punch a bag, then "knee blitz" another bag, then use our ASPs on another. If you got to hold the bags, like I did, you had the pleasure of being cross contaminated by everyone in addition to getting sprayed. The important part is to get it in your head that this stuff cant kill you, and that you are still capable of fighting once contaminated. This is the whole point of the exercise (and for the amusement of your instructors). DONT PANIC, you will think that you cant breath, but you can, just make sure that you keep your breathing calm and controlled. As for the pain in your eyes and on your skin, you can handle that too, it too shall pass. The worst of all of it was the 80 mile drive home through lovely DC area traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by L223 View Post
                              After getting sprayed we had to punch a bag, then "knee blitz" another bag, then use our ASPs on another. If you got to hold the bags, like I did, you had the pleasure of being cross contaminated by everyone in addition to getting sprayed. The important part is to get it in your head that this stuff cant kill you, and that you are still capable of fighting once contaminated. This is the whole point of the exercise (and for the amusement of your instructors). DONT PANIC, you will think that you cant breath, but you can, just make sure that you keep your breathing calm and controlled. As for the pain in your eyes and on your skin, you can handle that too, it too shall pass. The worst of all of it was the 80 mile drive home through lovely DC area traffic.
                              AHAHAHA...yeah that DC traffic does suck. I remember when I got OC Sprayed, all we had to do was ensure that we had positive control over our firearm while getting pushed around by a kicking bag telling the suspect to "GET BACK". That was supposed to be for 30 sec, but the guy who was timing, was also the guy video recording me...he forgot about the time so I went for another 30 seconds. You're right though, I thought I couldn't breathe, the pain on my neck, arms, ears, and face subsided way later (reflash). Fortunately, I was at another location getting sprayed so it only took me a hop, skip, and a jump home...if you live in NOVA, I feel for you man. Traffic blows.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5917 users online. 355 members and 5562 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X