300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "surviving Field Training"

before I started field training a read an interesting article called "surviving field training"

I guess I was just overconfident because i felt like I did really well in the academy.

but anyways sitting in a car with another officer for 10 hours can be really tough. Can anyone relate to what i am talking about or am i just weird?

But yeah it feels like "surviving fto"

Well, I can't relate to what you're talking about as of now..... but ask me at this time tomorrow and I'll tell ya.

I start FTO tomorrow.... I'm more nervous that I ever thought I would be, but I'm anxious to get out and get my feet wet and learn by making the mistakes that I KNOW I'm going to make.

I'm going to see if I can find the article you're talking about.

Good luck to ya.
    1*

Comment

A few quick tips for field training.
      1. Be ready to accept constructive critisum and change as your FTO advises you

2. Learn from your mistakes and dont make the same mistake twice.

3. Don be afraid to ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chit2001 View Post
        Well, I can't relate to what you're talking about as of now..... but ask me at this time tomorrow and I'll tell ya.

I start FTO tomorrow.... I'm more nervous that I ever thought I would be, but I'm anxious to get out and get my feet wet and learn by making the mistakes that I KNOW I'm going to make.

I'm going to see if I can find the article you're talking about.

Good luck to ya.

I start FTO tomorrow also. I'm nervous, guess we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Check the thread "Unwritten Rules Rookies Should Know" Lots of good advise.

Remember also,

Dont take yourself too seriously

Dont take ANYTHING personal (FTOs, SGTs, and senior officers LOVE to have fun with the rook)

No matter what stupid crap you will do someone has done it before (every department has a book on that, its called the SOP or General Orders)

And most of all: HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE.

Comment

Well,

First day of FTO has come and gone. Since it's the first week, it's kind of a "limbo" week.... but my FTO was still quizzing me every chance he got! "Where are we now? What street? What block? If we go 4 blocks east, where would we be? What was just said on the radio? What's 10-this and 10-that mean?" etc, etc, etc... all the basics.

He REALLY had me thinking....

Only answered a few calls today and did a bunch of paperwork/follow-up that he had to get caught up on.

THEN, in front of A shift and B shift in the squad room, he had me cuff him as quick as I could. LUCKILY I've been practicing and was able to do it flawlessly. You would have seen me turn so friggin' red if I would have messed that up in front of 15 guys. Good times.

How did your first day go, Jacob?
            1*

Comment

Originally posted by Chit2001 View Post
              LUCKILY I've been practicing and was able to do it flawlessly. You would have seen me turn so friggin' red if I would have messed that up in front of 15 guys. Good times.
              Dude... wait till your first arrest! I just started Phase III of FTO. In Phase I, my FTO believed in throwing me into the fire to see how I'd react. Our first call was to serve a warrant of a sexual assault suspect. As I went to the door, he and the other officer went to the side leaving me on my own but in ear shot.

I get the guy to step out and confirm he's who I'm looking for. Ask him to turn around and I fought to get the cuffs on cause I was shaking so freakin bad. I'm thinking WTF, this is easy stuff. I played it off as it was the suspect but they were busting up laughing.

ALL said they'd love to be able to go back to that date in their career and have that experience again; they all "shook" on that first "hook'm up" Now it's just like the academy, snap snap done without thought.

Good luck bro... it's a blast!!
              "The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it – Thucydides"

Comment

awesome stories! I hope to be sharing some of them soon as well!!
                All is 10-61 here you can show me 10-8!

Comment

I will tell you something that is a great trick and helped me out tremendously. Ask questions, if you hear a call that someone else is responding too, walk through that call with your FTO, explain what you would do and if you don't know ask what they would do. Ask them to explain the extra paperwork if there is any that needs to be done with that particular call. This has helped me so much I can't describe it.

Comment

Originally posted by NBPD_Newb View Post
                    I will tell you something that is a great trick and helped me out tremendously. Ask questions, if you hear a call that someone else is responding too, walk through that call with your FTO, explain what you would do and if you don't know ask what they would do. Ask them to explain the extra paperwork if there is any that needs to be done with that particular call. This has helped me so much I can't describe it.
                    What works better is to cancel the officer taking the call and just take it yourself.

Comment

cbrown_tx... Im sure the first arrest was the worst... I wish I could have said that. I just finished my FTO last Friday. My first arrest was like losing your virginity to a drunk girl...lol It was some guy who turned himself in at the jail... It wasnt as fun as yours, Im sure. I served an arrest warrant on a guy for murder after that. FTO was fun and rough at the same time. Now that Im out on my own, I either have o call somebody or look stuff up on my own. Once you are out there on your own though, you will build a lot more confidence in how you take care of business because you wont have somebody breathing down your neck... Well, I hope yall enjoy it and the best advice I can give you for FTO is to have fun with it and ask a lot of questions to clarify stuff before you are out on your own... Be safe
                      Mama said these was my magic shoes. Mama said they'd take me anywhere.

Comment

Well, it's been a nerve-racking week, but it's been a good week. I made my first traffic stops today and, according to my FTO, I did pretty good with everything. It's UNREAL how much I have to be doing at once. It was all flowing pretty nicely for my first time, though. I wasn't supposed to be doing anything on my own this week, but my FTO thought I was ready and he didn't want to throw me with another officer next week not having any 'driver's seat' experience.

I'm learning A LOT that I didn't even know I was going to learn (if that makes any sense).

NBPD, I have kept your advice close and have run through scenarios as soon as another officer is dispatched to a call. If I can't sit there and run through it and what *I* would do (and what I could do), then I'll ask. Otherwise, it's just good practice. Week one is nearly over. Next week, they're sticking me with someone else for a week..... hoping that goes well.
                        1*

Comment

I just completed my first week of field training, I was completely nervous!! It's scary walking into a new department and trying to learn so much so quickly! I had the geography memorized by the end of the week and was already driving, but there is so much more to learn and do. I haven't made an "arrest" technically, but I did have to go to another local jurisdiction to pick up a guy that they picked up on a couple of our warrants.

Jacob and chit2001 we are all definitely in the same boat, you two are a little futher ahead of me so feel free to pass along any "rookie advise".

Comment

Jenni,

All I can say is "GOOD LUCK!" haha. This job is crazy, that's for sure. I tried explaining it to my FTO this past week like this....

So far, I know about the first 3 steps out of however many there are..... I know I have to do 'A', 'B', and 'C'..... but then I get stuck.... like I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next. OR, I DO know what to do, but I'm nervous because someone is breathing down my neck, scoring me on every thing I do, and I get to that point where I'm *JUST. NOT. SURE.*

So.... I've learned to ask. Even if I *think* I know, I ask. I've gotten past the "feeling stupid" stage and have just accepted that I'm going to make mistakes. I hope and pray I learn from those mistakes, though.

I had my first 'major' accident on Friday..... 'major' meaning that I had to do a state report on it. Talk about a TON of documentation! The initial on-scene report took me about 45 minutes, including writing a citation to one lady..... my FTO just said, "take ALL the time you need to. Get it right this time so we don't have to take steps in the future because we messed up now." So, I did take my time and completed it all.

Anyhow, keep checking back here with your stories and rookie goofs! haha. I'm having a good time, but I have to *FORCE* myself to have a good time, or else I'd be a nervous wreck everyday and never get any sleep!
                            1*

Comment

On my first arrest, it was on a guy with suspended license. Nothing to it, but the video is awesome: FTO walks from the side of the car saying loudly, "Hey, we need to write him a misdemeanor cite for..." and then he saw I was cuffing him. The look on his face was priceless. He thought that I just arrested this guy for speeding. It was a good arrest, FTO didn't hear the address and history on this guy. It was funny.
                              "Be safe, have fun, and lock somebody up"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5630 users online. 319 members and 5311 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X