300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookies Smarten Up!!

I have noticed more and more rookies making a fatal mistake.

During a traffic stop unless you have a second officer there, sitting in your car will get you killed. If your looking at your ticket book writing, you can't see the person get out of the car with a gun.....

I don't know what jack*** is teaching theses rookies to do this, but they need to be slapped.

Please be Safe

my rant is over thanks for reading
    Me in the Sunshine State

10-8store.com

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character!"

And that is beleived to be safe?
    Me in the Sunshine State

10-8store.com

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character!"

Comment

If they are in the car, the book should be at the wheel so you can see both it and the car in front of you. A door slightly ajar can be beneficial as well.

Comment

Our Watch Commander would give us an *** chewing if he drove by and saw any Officer on our watch writing a ticket inside the vehicle.... and we only deploy two man units. We use the Contact / Cover approach pretty much on anything we do. If an Officer must write a portion of the ticket in the car (lic. info, veh. info, wants/warrants), you always have a second set of eyes watching over the bad guys.

Even when I have worked a single manned car.... I spend as little time as I can in the "Coffin" during a stop.
        Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

Originally posted by SwissMoney View Post
          If they are in the car, the book should be at the wheel so you can see both it and the car in front of you. A door slightly ajar can be beneficial as well.
          This is how we are taught. How do you get the wants/warrants another way without tying up radio time?
          No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
          -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Well I'd love to have a blackberry for a MDT like motors do, but I don't, therefor my ticket writer software and FCIC/NCIC is in my car. I'd love to be able to have an empty passenger side seat to sit in on traffic stops, but there's just way too much crap there. It takes me two seconds to look down at my computer to either type something in or look at something, and the rest of the time I'm looking at the car in front of me. Staring down at a ticket book can get you killed no matter where you are.

Comment

I had a Sgt while I was on FTO demand that we sit in the driver's seat while writing tickets. I politely disagreed with him on the tactic. He argued that the bad guy might drive off and if I'm not in the hot seat it will take longer to chase him! Never mind I can't react to an immediate threat to my LIFE! But what can you do.... I stand behind my open passenger side door and sometimes as far back as the quarter panel.

Comment

We have always, done paperwork (tickets) behind open passenger door. I write a line look at the car see if any one moving around, statutes are memorized. 9 out of 10 times I have another officer there anyway. If you find me writing tickets from inside the car without back up, take my asp and slap me in the head a couple of times---please.

I appreciate everyone's feed back on this post. Hopefully some of the rookies will see these and decide which way they feel is safest to go.

Be Safe, give em hell
                Me in the Sunshine State

10-8store.com

Comment

Learned my lesson when I was writing a mother a ticket. Was looking down writing the ticket FTO was watching the stopped vehicle, next to me I felt the pressence of someone other than my FTO, looked to my left. Its the Chief. He asked if everything was good? gave him the thumbs up. FTO says, pull your head up more often.

havent made the same mistake since.

Comment

(I will repost in a couple weeks after my swearing in - don't want to get banned)
                    Last edited by MNCopper; 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM. Reason: we dont' get sworn in right away....

Comment

it must be warm 24/7 and never rain or snow or 40mph+ winds where the thread starter is from...30 below the hell i will take my chances sitting in the car writing the citation!

on the highway the safest place to be would be in ur car so some drunk doing 80+ does not plow ur a## over?
                      "What the problem is?"

Comment

Interesting. I am still not sure how to get the necessary TCIC/NCIC information from the passenger side quarter panel without tying up the radio...

I suppose I could ID the driver, go to the driver seat. Run them. Watch the car. Wait for the return. Get out. Walk to the passenger side. Finish the ticket.

Do most of you use the radio to run the individuals if you do the outside of the car method?
                        No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
                        -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

This is what ****es me off... There is more than one way to do things.
                          There are pros and cons to standing outside the vehicle as well as to sitting inside.

I sit inside for a few reason. I can run people for warrants myself and not have to rely on dispatch or tie up radio traffic. Everything I need is within my reach. Also, I do not have to worry about fire ants and mosquitoes eating me alive.

Just because you like to do things "your" way for whatever reasons, doesn't mean everyone else is a jack***.

Comment

Must not snow like hell where you live cocoa, granted, I believe outside is better, unless its blizzarding (is that a word?) on your face and you cant concentrate because of the snow and freezing wind gusts.
                            "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Yeah... at the present time I do not believe the matter is so black and white... just like many things in this job .
                              -Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6251 users online. 344 members and 5907 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X