Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Academy around the corner!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Academy around the corner!!

    So i begin the academy real soon. Man am i nervous of the unexpected. Anyone have any suggestions, comments, advice on what to expect? What areas of the entire experience should i be very concerned about? What should i expect day in day out? Anything!!!! I would really appreciate anything coming from you guys...Thanks!! BTW got hired by Hillsborough County Sheriff Dept and the academy is at HCC.

  • #2
    sorry brother im a male. I know, that screen name has stuck with me all throughout lol. advice for a male. Thanks all

    Comment


    • #3
      My advice is to train for the academy like Rocky trained...blood, sweat and tears.

      PT instructors are not there to get you in shape, they are there to get you ready for the street.

      Also, don't let instructors get in your head. Fly under the radar, don't say anything you don't want repeated and keep to yourself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the advice. Ill take that into consideration. The PT part I am not worried about since i have been an athlete all throughout my life. And the getting into my head thing, I know i can be psychologically strong too, the only concern is the unexpected. But hey thanks for the advice.

        Comment


        • #5
          where in florida meg?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
            if your a woman id say anything physical. thast the only thing that i see that fail the women.. and the shooting... and the driving. but im sure you'll do fine with the academic part, its the just "hands on" part of police women cant grasp.

            I outshoot most at my department, I came first in driver training and I'll fight with the best of them. That goes for almost all the women I work with and around. YOU are destined to get your *ss kicked by a female because you underestimate us.

            Most of what I've seen you post here is not only grammatically appalling but is ignorant of actual LE work. Either you aren't a cop or you're as green as Kermit. Or a fool, but I was attempting to give you the benefit of the doubt.

            To the OP: Keep your mouth shut, ears open and try not to draw attention to yourself.
            sigpic

            I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

            Comment


            • #7
              My advice is....the entire academy is all a giant game. A game that should be taken serious of course. The instructors put their pants on the same way that you do in the morning. Don't think for a minute that at the end of the day they do not talk and get a good chuckle at the expense of you and your fellow recruits. We are all human.

              The important thing is to keep your head down and mouth shut. You should work hard to fly under the radar if you know what I mean.

              As far as preparation goes....I would say that I would get in the best physical shape possible prior to the start. Running, pushups, situps, and pullups seem to be a favorite of PT instructors.

              It is important to remember that many of the folks in your class have no police training. Some may have never fired a weapon either. The academy exists to teach. Whether it is to teach defensive tactics or firearms proficiency, that is what they do. They will give you the tools you need to do your job and with that, every chance to succeed. You will be ok and remember it is all a big game.

              Good Luck!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by george4 View Post
                My advice is....the entire academy is all a giant game. A game that should be taken serious of course. The instructors put their pants on the same way that you do in the morning. Don't think for a minute that at the end of the day they do not talk and get a good chuckle at the expense of you and your fellow recruits. We are all human.

                The important thing is to keep your head down and mouth shut. You should work hard to fly under the radar if you know what I mean.

                As far as preparation goes....I would say that I would get in the best physical shape possible prior to the start. Running, pushups, situps, and pullups seem to be a favorite of PT instructors.

                It is important to remember that many of the folks in your class have no police training. Some may have never fired a weapon either. The academy exists to teach. Whether it is to teach defensive tactics or firearms proficiency, that is what they do. They will give you the tools you need to do your job and with that, every chance to succeed. You will be ok and remember it is all a big game.

                Good Luck!
                George, Thanks man, that really helps and builds an inspirational feeling, your info was really helpful friend. I understand that the unexpected is kinda of a strange feeling therefore i look for some reassurance and all...But again thanks man.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by floridacop View Post
                  where in florida meg?
                  In Florida? Tampa

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I should hear this week Meg - I am ready to get at it !
                    All is 10-61 here you can show me 10-8!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The new FL BRT curriculum is a B***H. Study alot! They told us the tests would be on the objectives, but everything in the chapter is fair game on a test. I've been putting the text on audio CD and reading along. My class has been making parctice tests and alot of the questions we write have been on the actual test.
                      I enjoy life on the dirtroad

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                        I outshoot most at my department, I came first in driver training and I'll fight with the best of them. That goes for almost all the women I work with and around. YOU are destined to get your *ss kicked by a female because you underestimate us.

                        Most of what I've seen you post here is not only grammatically appalling but is ignorant of actual LE work. Either you aren't a cop or you're as green as Kermit. Or a fool, but I was attempting to give you the benefit of the doubt.

                        To the OP: Keep your mouth shut, ears open and try not to draw attention to yourself.
                        Smurfette, please dont tell me that you cook and clean as well. If this is the case, and you are single and half way attractive, please take a second to consider my proposal for marriage. Hows that for my 2nd post?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Papapump51 View Post
                          I should hear this week Meg - I am ready to get at it !
                          Good Luck brother, I have SOT soon and man is it going to be interesting. Keep your head up.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 6563 users online. 352 members and 6211 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X